Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Joker, baby
    BB

It's not just that Joker has 11 nominations, which is incredible, but it's that Joker is the MOST nominated movie of the year.

That has NEVER happened for a comic book movie. Congratulations, DC and Warner Bros.

Here's the full list:

Best Picture
    Best Actor
    Best Adapted Screenplay
    Best Director
    Best Cinematography
    Best Makeup and Hairstyling
    Best Costume Design
    Best Film Editing
    Best Original Score
    Best Sound Editing
    Best Sound Mixing

I have to say that is a broad base of nominations. To me, that means that Hollywood is taking the movie seriously. It's not just giving it the typical nominations that a CBM gets. Joker is being treated as a movie-movie, not a comic-book movie. Whether it wins anything or not, it definitely marks the turning of a corner in the way Hollywood views CBMs. Expect studios to jump on this bandwagon -- particularly if it should actually win Best Picture.

As an aside to movie buffs, Joker has also snagged 11 BAFTAs. the BAFTAs will be broadcast on Feb 2, while the Oscars will be shown on Feb 9.

BAFTA nominations:
    Best Film
    Best Direction
    Best Adapted Screenplay
    Best Actor in a Leading Role
    Best Original Score
    Best Casting
    Best Cinematography
    Best Editing
    Best Production Design
    Best Makeup and Hair
    Best Sound
    Last edited by Comic-Reader Lad; 01-13-2020 at 05:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    The Academy Awards are voted on by numerous people who have no idea how others are voting. They are not making statements or signaling the industry. They are just making private decisions. Making large assumptions from the awards or nominations is foolhardy. "The Oscars are trying to" or "If the Oscars wanted to" are nonsensical.
    Larger societal issues can influence the voters, but that is about the extent of it.
    Not necessarily.

I was listening to Alec Baldwin on Howard Stern last week, and he gave some insight to how the Academy works. He told the story of how he knew some big shot producer that commanded a large block of votes at one time. Apparently, people who are members of the Academy that weren't involved in Hollywood anymore would call this guy up to get his 'opinion' on what was hot, and he'd basically tell them how to vote. Granted this was several years ago, but it's not hard to think this type of thing still goes on.

Asking an opinion from someone else does not equate to that other person controlling how the vote goes. An opinion is still just an opinion. I see no harm in an Oscar voter asking someone else's opinion, in fact I find it encouraging because it means they are really thinking about it rather than just watching a movie and voting in a vacuum.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Retired

The thing is Academy voters have hundreds of movies to consider and not a lot of time to watch them. So they're going to look at the press to decide what screeners to watch. That's why the collective memory is short and a lot of recent movies end up nominated--because those are the ones that have been covered the most by the press in the last month. A voter watches those few movies and then selects from that short list what movie to nominate.

I'd give it Best actor for Phoenix and Best Score if I had a vote. Cinematography I feel like Once upon a time in Hollywood takes that and set/costume design. Best picture I'd vote Jojo rabbit but I think is between 1917/Once up a time/Parasite/Irishman same with director but again I'd persoaly vote Waititi for Jojo rabbit.

But I 100% think Joker should get Best actor and Best score hands down not even close.

Knives out is the big snub of the Oscar's imo. That and JoJos rabbit were by far my favorite movies of the year. US also stands out but it's a tough field.

Also I'm rooting for Joe Pesci for Irishman for supporting role. Deniro and Pacino were good as usual but Pesci gave my favorite performance of that movie by far. Pitts performance is a close second but I have a feeling they might give it to Tom hank. I haven't seen that movie though so I cant say if he deserves it or not. He was compelling as Roger in the trailer.

1917 for cinematography. I mean it's a marvel of cinematography.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

I think the lighthouse might have a chance too.

Astonishing Member

Finally saw the movie recently and I think Phoenix deserves the Oscar for his performance as a mentally ill male. That is definitely not the Joker everyone knows in the comics or animated movies but his performance was Oscar worthy.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    Finally saw the movie recently and I think Phoenix deserves the Oscar for his performance as a mentally ill male. That is definitely not the Joker everyone knows in the comics or animated movies but his performance was Oscar worthy.
    Same, Phoenix deserves the award. I'm not sure the movie deserves the nomination however.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Knives out is the big snub of the Oscar's imo.
    Yeah. Didn't seem much of the other nominees, so hard to say how it compared, but it did seem like it deserved more consideration. (It did get nominated for some non-Oscar awards and was both profitable and popular, so it's not like Rian Johnson is going completely unappreciated or anything.)
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Yes, it's absolutely stunning, the cinematography is giving Nolan's Dunkirk a run of its money and that is very hard to do, since Nolan is the master of cinematography.

Irishman is fading fast though.

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    It's not just that Joker has 11 nominations, which is incredible, but it's that Joker is the MOST nominated movie of the year.

That has NEVER happened for a comic book movie. Congratulations, DC and Warner Bros.

Here's the full list:

Best Picture
    Best Actor
    Best Adapted Screenplay
    Best Director
    Best Cinematography
    Best Makeup and Hairstyling
    Best Costume Design
    Best Film Editing
    Best Original Score
    Best Sound Editing
    Best Sound Mixing

I have to say that is a broad base of nominations. To me, that means that Hollywood is taking the movie seriously. It's not just giving it the typical nominations that a CBM gets. Joker is being treated as a movie-movie, not a comic-book movie. Whether it wins anything or not, it definitely marks the turning of a corner in the way Hollywood views CBMs. Expect studios to jump on this bandwagon -- particularly if it should actually win Best Picture.

As an aside to movie buffs, Joker has also snagged 11 BAFTAs. the BAFTAs will be broadcast on Feb 2, while the Oscars will be shown on Feb 9.

BAFTA nominations:
    Best Film
    Best Direction
    Best Adapted Screenplay
    Best Actor in a Leading Role
    Best Original Score
    Best Casting
    Best Cinematography
    Best Editing
    Best Production Design
    Best Makeup and Hair
    Best Sound
    Joker achieved everything on the pure artistic measurement of the film. The oscars all of a sudden become relevant again, when they nominate movies based on the objective quality of the film.

Am glad I called it back in September. I saw through all the media crap from yahoo and entertainment weekly.

credible movie making, so obvious. its not about rotten tomatoes scores.
    Last edited by Beaddle; 01-13-2020 at 11:39 PM.

I'm surprised it didn't get nominated for Production Design like it did for the BAFTAs.

Joker really looked like 1980s-era Manhattan all the way through -- both interior and exterior scenes.

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    I'm surprised it didn't get nominated for Production Design like it did for the BAFTAs.

Joker really looked like 1980s-era Manhattan all the way through -- both interior and exterior scenes.
    Which movie would you take out? Parasite is the only one nominated I didnt see. Joker definelty had a great production design but I couldnt make an argument to replace any of the other films with it. Except Parasite because I didnt watch it.

I hated the movie it was so boring and Dull but really surprised Ad Astra didnt get any love for the Visuals. It was really a beautiful movie.