Censorship Sucks

Talking Detective Comics: Batman

I don't see to many discussions on the current detective comics being released. Is anyone else enjoying this run as much as I am? The Mr. Freeze story seems pretty cool and I love the fact that Bruce/Batman is acting in character and fighting crime like he is suppose to. There is no dragging on about his lost love and Alfred is even alive in these stories (as it is suppose to be before Batman 77 takes place). I almost think this should be the main Batman book with the King stories being some other "dark metal universe" stories. If you are not reading Detective Comics, check them out because I think there are some good solid stories going on! Batman even had a new suit to go up against Mr. Freeze, which was pretty cool. What do you guys think of the Detective Comics run going now?

Loving it personally it's great to have decent Batman stories where Batman is actually a competent and heroic. It's a great palate cleanser following the main Batman title.

Batman Universe is also good.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

I just bought from 1000 on, but haven’t had a chance to read them yet. They’re on my radar tho.

Astonishing Member

Haven't read it since the opening arc, need to again. I like Peter J Tomasi 's Batman particularly Batman and Robin after a dodgy start.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Oh, that's because it doesn't feel as important or affecting the Batman and family world as Batman so I don't pay attention to it much excepting when the title was an ensemble at the beginning of Rebirth starring characters that didn't appear anywhere else.

Now that it also stars Batman and I only like picking 1 book for per character, I pay more attention to the seemingly more important one

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Just finished Tec #994- 999 and was disappointed. Basically a tour of the whole mythology, way over the top, not adding anything new or interesting with great art. Should have been an annual not an arc. Going after issue #1000 next.

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    Just finished Tec #994- 999 and was disappointed. Basically a tour of the whole mythology, way over the top, not adding anything new or interesting with great art. Should have been an annual not an arc. Going after issue #1000 next.
    post-1000 is better imo

I dropped it. Usually I do like Tomasi’s writing, but this time he wasn’t giving me anything new nor interesting. Some cool moments, but mostly, underwhelming stories
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

I've enjoyed it. I said this in another thread, so apologies for repeating myself, but my take on Tomasi's work over the years is that it's always steady -- rarely great, but never awful. I know going in that I'm not going to get the seminal works of our time. I'm fine with twice-monthly solid superheroics.

I liked the first arc because I figured Dr. Thompkins wasn't really dead, so that didn't bug me as much as it did others. Arkham Knight was OK, and I assume he's setting up her return. The Joker/carnival issue was a lot of fun, and I dug the island adventure.