Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Boisterously Confused

Default Which DC character has been the most consistently portrayed?

Superman had morphed quite a bit in his first couple of years, as had Batman. Silver Age reimaginings, and reboots following CoIE and Flashpoint have changed numerous characters.

Now its only natural, for there to be some change over time as these characters are handed from one creative team to the next, especially for the older ones. Who's held up the best? Out of all of DC's characters, which has been most consistently portrayed?

Given that consistency has never been DC's strong suit, no DC character has ever been consistently portrayed across the decades.

That being said, probably Wonder Woman and Barry Allen are among the most consistent in terms of acting in character.

Their portrayals may have been changed post-New 52, but for decades before that, they stayed the most true to themselves. Also, Superman from the early 1940s until New 52 was relatively consistent in personality.

Plastic Man?

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Plastic Man?
    Since his revival, probably so. But he's a far span from the one sane guy in a nutty world that he was in his original Quality run.

I'd throw a vote for Ras al Ghul. He's been brilliant, dignified, but utterly ruthless from appearance one.

BANNED

Alfred? Riddler? Joker?

Ric Grayson. Consistently awful...

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    Alfred? Riddler? Joker?
    Definitely not Alfred and the Joker. Alfred was the kinda goofy comic relief character for a long while. And the Joker was notably different in golden, silver, and current ages. I've read some letters pages from the silver age where people complained about how inadequate the Joker was compared to his golden age self. He's on a much bigger scale now than he used to be, but then many are. I don't know that I'd say he's as different as Alfred, though, who is really different. Not just in personality. I mean, he's had several backstories and wasn't a parental figure for Bruce at all early on and so forth and so on.

I think newer characters are bound to be more consistent, just for having been around less time and gone through fewer hands and fewer cultural changes IRL. How old does a character have to be to be considered in this list, do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    Alfred? Riddler? Joker?
    None of these guys. Alfred is the closest, but he started out as an overweight guy with a belief that he had skills as a detective. But since the "Earth 1" version came into being, he's pretty much been the same.
    Sandy Hausler
    DC Boards Moderator (along with The Darknight Detective (who has a much cooler name that I do))
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.