Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Retired

As long as you don't count the stories about him later in life and whether he actually survived the war, I'd say Frank Rock was always consistently the same guy in WW II.

Slam Bradley is consistently Slam Bradley. Fauntleroy Fox and Crawford Crow are caught in an absurd existential repetition worthy of Samuel Beckett or Tom Stoppard.

Cain has always looked like Len Wein and Abel has always looked like Mark Hanerfeld.

Bat-Mite never changes, even when Batman does. He's the most consistent and devoted Batman fan.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

J'onn, maybe? He's got varying degrees of alienation and bitterness, but the core traits always seemed to be there. Compassionate, isolated, wise, pensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    J'onn, maybe? He's got varying degrees of alienation and bitterness, but the core traits always seemed to be there. Compassionate, isolated, wise, pensive.
    I think some of that was downplayed when he was initially introduced in the New 52.

He seemed much colder and alien, although I don't think they had quite figured out what to do with him then.

Astonishing Member

How about Hal Jordan?

Yes, he changed a lot over time (Parallax being the most drastic one), but I'd say that was a natural response to various events and possession by a fear entity. But the fundamentals of the character, Parallax notwithstanding has remained more or less unchanged since 1959.

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    How about Hal Jordan?

Yes, he changed a lot over time (Parallax being the most drastic one), but I'd say that was a natural response to various events and possession by a fear entity. But the fundamentals of the character, Parallax notwithstanding has remained more or less unchanged since 1959.
    I think the only thing that fluctuates with Hal depending on the writer is his intelligence.

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    Alfred? Riddler? Joker?
    None of these guys. Alfred is the closest, but he started out as an overweight guy with a belief that he had skills as a detective. But since the "Earth 1" version came into being, he's pretty much been the same.
    Sandy Hausler
    DC Boards Moderator (along with The Darknight Detective (who has a much cooler name that I do))
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

This is a really tough question. Maybe Ted Kord? Yeah, the JLI stuff really played up how much of a goofball he was compared to the Ditko stuff for example, but compared to a lot of Ditko characters, he was a little more light-hearted, and I don't think he ever got so goofy that he stopped being compelling if the situation took a darker turn.

Though I will say, I've far from read everything with him. It's possible I missed the even horizon threshold where he went Full Goof and didn't come back until he died or something. But I'm not aware of any such thing.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."