Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Best TV Mothers - In Honor of Mother's Day

With Mother's Day approaching, who in your opinion are the all-time best tv mothers? It can be based on your favorites or the way they loved or raised their kids.

My list:

1) Olivia Walton The Waltons
    2) Carol Brady The Brady Bunch
    3) Clair Huxtable The Cosby Show
    4) June Cleaver Leave It To Beaver
    5) Mabel Thomas What's Happening
    6) Caroline Ingalls Little House On The Prairie
    7) Marion Cunningham Happy Days
    8) Florida Evans Good Times
    9) Mary Cooper The Big Bang Theory
    10) Lorelai Gilmore Gilmore Girls

A bit out of left field, and animated, but Chichi.

Her main concern, is what is best for kids. She doesn't want them as fight-obsessed hermits like their dad, but as functioning members of society. Good job, good education, a family, etc. She lightened up with Goten, but still looked out for her children (and only allowed Gohan to go to the Cell games because she though Goku would beat Cell).

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Harriet Winslow: Family Matters

I always looked at Harriet as the head of that house hold. She maintained order but at the same time, she was compassionate. Harriet and Carl were great together.

Also giving props to Estelle Winslow. I think anybody would love to have her as a mother/grandmother and she obviously did a great job raising her son.
    Last edited by Godzilla2099; 05-03-2020 at 08:52 PM.

Lin Kuei Grandmaster Sub-Zero MKA's Avatar

Vivian Banks: Fresh Prince

Didn't take **** from anyone, but was still compassionate, especially with Will. In many ways, the first Viv reminds me a lot of my own mother.
    DBM | Sarada | Parsley

ROLL TIDE ROLL!

Since it seems alright to mention animated characters, these would be my Top three (3) TV moms:

From Dexter's Laboratory, Dexter's Mom:

From Pokemon, Ash's Mom (Delia):

Yui Ikari from Neon Genesis Evangelion (TV series):
    Last edited by K7P5V; 05-04-2020 at 03:38 AM. Reason: Added a few words.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Cat Stark- Game of Thrones
    Cersei Lannister- GoT

Both are Lions when it comes to their cubs

Lois, from malcolm in the middle.

Peggy Bundy.. or Sylvia Fine (The Nanny)

My favorite is probably Jill Taylor from 'Home Improvement' because she tried to raise and teach her boys (including her own husband) to be more respectful of women and to see them as equals in every way. She was also a great and more realistic wife and good role model for females, IMO.

Pretty much everyone named so a shout out to Eliza Danvers in Supergirl. She doesn't get much screen time but she shines when she does.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla2099 View Post
    Harriet Winslow: Family Matters

I always looked at Harriet as the head of that house hold. She maintained order but at the same time, she was compassionate. Harriet and Carl were great together.
    Believe it or not, Harriet was #11 on the list I made. I loved Jo Marie Payton. She is an amazing comedic actress and made the show for me (much more than Urkel).

Ma Kent from Smallvile.

And a special mention for Tony Sapranos mom for being just the worst.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Kitty Foreman - That 70's Show. Her and Red are probably some of the realest parents on TV.

I'd also add:

1. Edith Bunker, All in the Family -
    a great mother figure to the entire family. A good example of a mom with an adult child living with her, which we really didn't see a lot before her.

2. Ann Romano, One Day at a Time -
    really groundbreaking as a divorced, single mom. Raising teenage daughters while pursuing her own work life, love life, and independence. She made lots of mistakes and had lots of self-doubts and had a big temper, but she generally came through in the end.

3. Shirley Partridge, The Partridge Family - could do the sugary-sweet advice thing to her kids like Carol Brady (likewise set to the sad version of her TV theme song), but also had a bit more attitude at times than Carol. Like the time where Keith was fed up with his brother and said "Mom, can I kill Danny?" and Shirley who just didn't want to get involved in yet another one of their conflicts said, "Sure!"

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    I'd also add:

1. Edith Bunker, All in the Family -
    a great mother figure to the entire family. A good example of a mom with an adult child living with her, which we really didn't see a lot before her.

2. Ann Romano, One Day at a Time -
    really groundbreaking as a divorced, single mom. Raising teenage daughters while pursuing her own work life, love life, and independence. She made lots of mistakes and had lots of self-doubts and had a big temper, but she generally came through in the end.

3. Shirley Partridge, The Partridge Family - could do the sugary-sweet advice thing to her kids like Carol Brady (likewise set to the sad version of her TV theme song), but also had a bit more attitude at times than Carol. Like the time where Keith was fed up with his brother and said "Mom, can I kill Danny?" and Shirley who just didn't want to get involved in yet another one of their conflicts said, "Sure!"
    All great choices.

Mrs. Brady, for me.