Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Question for those more in the know: I've never really understood why the whole subject has gotten so controversial in the first place?
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post
    Snyder cut...theatrical cut...show me the cut of Justice League that doesn't reduce Wonder Woman and the rest of the League to useless jobbers who can't do anything without Superman.

Otherwise, screw the both of them.
    This. All day.
    "The rules of regeneration are known!"

"Sorry, what did you say? Did you mention the rules? Now, listen. A bit of advice: tell me the truth if you think you know it,
    lay down the law if you're feeling brave, but never ever tell me the rules!!"

I just want a mustache cut. But in all seriousness, I don’t like the Snyder movies but I’m kinda hoping they release it so it will shut people up. Anyway the extended BvS cut still wasn’t a good movie, but it was a decent improvement, so there’s that.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    But why would they spend more money on a dead project that could be used for something new that might earn a profit.
    Because there is money to be made off of it.

This would not be the first time a dead project got life.

1990s Punisher & Cap America finally got on DVD.

Also it depends on WHO was in the project that went on to do something big.

Kevin Hart did a failed tv show with Yvette Brown (Community) back in 2005. Disney tossed that movie on dvd as soon as they could once he got to be big star.
    They also did that to David Chappelle-who FOUGHT to keep the failed Home Improvement spinoff-he did from going to DVD.
    Fox did the same thing with MANTIS because the creator went on to do Toby Maguire Spider-Man films.

Sniff through Netlix and hulu they have plenty of dead films that found new life.

Question for those more in the know: I've never really understood why the whole subject has gotten so controversial in the first place?
    Part of it might be the one character that needs all the footage he can get is Cyborg.

The one guy whose film is dead while folks fight for the Flash and the rest have films in the tank.

The one guy who has been a joke as a League in comics. Meanwhile cartoons and Doom Patrol continue to do him justice.

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    ...he could have finished them later?

And I'm on the side of "I don't know (hence why I keep saying IF it exists), but if someone would know it would be him".

I have no dog in this fight; I'm one of the few who liked Whedon's take, mostly. I don't know Momoa, maybe he's exaggerating maybe he's legit, but if anyone would know it would be him. I'm not prepared to say he's lying just cause I feel some sort of way about Snyder. I don't like the man (well most of Snyder's work) but I don't think that's fair. Not saying that's what you're doing, just the overall vibe I'm getting from the thread.

The whole thing is moot cause if it exists it'll only be released via someone leaking it.
    I too am one of the few that liked Whedon's take. And I've seen summaries of the original Snyder takes, and dear God, it got dark. Darker then grimdark, and I already am not a fan of grimdark. Examples? Well, you know the opening scene where Diana saved that group of people? In the Snyder cut, she fails to save them and they all die. It really doesn't get better from there.

Astonishing Member

Hmm, even former DC Entertainment president Diane Nelson wants the cut.

https://mobile.twitter.com/dewnelson...27881019432960
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Because there is money to be made off of it.

This would not be the first time a dead project got life.

1990s Punisher & Cap America finally got on DVD.

Also it depends on WHO was in the project that went on to do something big.

Kevin Hart did a failed tv show with Yvette Brown (Community) back in 2005. Disney tossed that movie on dvd as soon as they could once he got to be big star.
    They also did that to David Chappelle-who FOUGHT to keep the failed Home Improvement spinoff-he did from going to DVD.
    Fox did the same thing with MANTIS because the creator went on to do Toby Maguire Spider-Man films.

Sniff through Netlix and hulu they have plenty of dead films that found new life.
    Weren't they already in the can, though? Big difference between something finished and something not. (Besides, while making money is the end goal, studios do pick and choose which ways they earn it.)

Part of it might be the one character that needs all the footage he can get is Cyborg.

The one guy whose film is dead while folks fight for the Flash and the rest have films in the tank.

The one guy who has been a joke as a League in comics. Meanwhile cartoons and Doom Patrol continue to do him justice.
    ?????
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    I too am one of the few that liked Whedon's take. And I've seen summaries of the original Snyder takes, and dear God, it got dark. Darker then grimdark, and I already am not a fan of grimdark. Examples? Well, you know the opening scene where Diana saved that group of people? In the Snyder cut, she fails to save them and they all die. It really doesn't get better from there.
    I've heard conflicting stories as to whether that is really what happened in the Snyder version. But, if it was, I suspect a significant portion of the audience would have just stood up and walked out. I dislike saying that I would or would not have done that as you don't know what you would really do unless you were in the situation.

It's easier to get people to see relatively light movies than relatively dark ones. But, in this case, it would have made the whole "Everybody except Superman is useless and only with him can we succeed at anything" theme even worse.
    Power with Girl is better.

Incredible Member Wandering_Wand's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Long story short, it's controversial because Zack Snyder and his vision for the DCEU were controversial. Period.
    He had a legion of fans that loved his dark and philosophical takes on superheroes that hadn't really been done before. Man of Steel and Batman v Superman are filled with Greek mythos and all kinds of theses on power, etc. So, that captured a lot of people's attention. The problems arose when critics roasted BvS and the majority of moviegoers didn't enjoy the movie (it remains the only move in history to have $150 million opening weekend domestic, over $400 million worldwide OW and not make more than $1 billion). Quite simply, the majority of people didn't like BvS and what he did with it for a variety of reasons. So, after BvS a lot of people soured on Snyder and his name. Justice League, to a point, was dead on arrival, especially since Warner Bros wasn't taking the MCU route by providing solo movies before the big team up; they wanted that cake quicker and ended up getting burned for it.

There's a bit more to it all, but in summary, Zack Snyder has devoted fans because they see him as an outsider, of sorts and love his visuals (he's one of the best in the industry at visuals). However, the majority simply don't care for his type of storytelling and it has led to clashes (pretty much exclusively online) between fandoms.

Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus Arkham View Post

Ben Affleck, Gal Gadot, Ray Fisher, and Jason Momoa (Ezra Miller doesn't have social media but has voiced support for Snyder's take in the past) have all tweeted out #ReleasetheSnydercut. Those people alone are the most significant voices, in my opinion, to lend credence and support to this movement and the plausibility of such a cut ready for release (they filmed the movie, after all).

Let's add in Clay Enos, Junkie XL, Jay Oliva, and several background actors (like Ray Porter - Darkseid), crew members, etc. who have all come out supporting this movement previously as well as today.
    Even Rob Liefield, Yahya Abdul Mateen (Black Manta) and Damon Lindelof (HBO Watchmen) have all come out supporting this movement today. Last I checked (5 hours ago), the #ReleasetheSnydercut hashtag reached over 500,000 tweets on Twitter.

This was very significant and I have to extend an applause for all the people who coordinated this event all week for the finale today. It has certainly ignited some conversations and I hope they lead to offering Zack Snyder's version for people to see if they so choose.

Edit: grammar
    Edit 2: there's a story by The Hollywood Reporter that says they reached out to Warner Bros and WB has said there is no "imminent" announcement about the Snyder Cut at this time. So, there you go. It's not exactly a "no," definitely not a "yes."
    Edit 3: Additional reading: https://deadline.com/2019/11/gal-gad...ut-1202788376/
    Last edited by Wandering_Wand; 11-17-2019 at 08:38 PM.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

The Flash film is effectively dead until they can get it off the ground, which they can't seem to manage. Superman doesn't have a film in the tank, his planned arc in the Snyder cut sucked even worse than what we got, and they likely never even planned for him to have a solo sequel anyway. We are of course getting a new Batman film, but one that has cut ties completely with this one. Aquaman actually was in the tank already at the time of this bomb, so he lucked out.

Footage from a Snyder film isn't going to do Cyborg any favors, especially not at this point. It's questionable to separate him from the team that actually matters to him (in both comics and other mediums), but even if he made is big screen debut in a JL movie we'd need an overhaul of the creative direction behind it to give him a chance

other pic new

Incredible Member Wandering_Wand's Avatar

I think people continue to misinterpret a lot of the Snyder Cut movement. While the most vocal supporters are the ones who straight up want him back to do more films, the majority that I’ve interacted with want his version (which is described as vastly different and longer than the theatrical release) released for closure and then move on.

I’m not wanting Zack back at this point. As I’ve said, it’s time to move on within the timeline, but what we received in theaters is wrong and smells of corporate influence. Let the man release his cut (from a studio that prides itself on being director friendly), give the loud minority what they want and we can all move on. It’s already been said by Toby Emmerich after JL’s reception they were moving in a different direction. This would be perfect for straight to BR or HBO Max.

Again, while it may cost some money, it shouldn’t be as much as some posters have assumed. Zack is on film saying he has multiple cuts, including his main one that is finished and “its up to WB to release it.”

Quote Originally Posted by Wandering_Wand View Post
    I think people continue to misinterpret a lot of the Snyder Cut movement. While the most vocal supporters are the ones who straight up want him back to do more films, the majority that I’ve interacted with want his version (which is described as vastly different and longer than the theatrical release) released for closure and then move on.

I’m not wanting Zack back at this point. As I’ve said, it’s time to move on within the timeline, but what we received in theaters is wrong and smells of corporate influence. Let the man release his cut (from a studio that prides itself on being director friendly), give the loud minority what they want and we can all move on. It’s already been said by Toby Emmerich after JL’s reception they were moving in a different direction. This would be perfect for straight to BR or HBO Max.

Again, while it may cost some money, it shouldn’t be as much as some posters have assumed. Zack is on film saying he has multiple cuts, including his main one that is finished and “its up to WB to release it.”

Since when is Warner Bros known for being 'director friendly'? It seems like every other movie that comes out from them in the past was interfered with by the studio.

I think, in hindsight, that WB got the right man for the wrong job. They shouldn't have hired Snyder to create the whole DC Cinematic Universe. They should have hired him to do the next Batman movie after Nolan's. I understand why they went with Superman- Green Lantern was a bomb, and the Nolan films were still relatively fresh in people's minds, so they wanted to use another big character to try and launch their shared universe. But Superman is supposed to embody hope, and that is not in Snyder's wheelhouse. They should have gotten a director that could have delivered a positive, uplifiting Superman movie. If that worked, the next film wouldn't have been Batman V Superman; it possibly would have been a Superman sequel, which like BvS, could have pushed forward a shared universe by introducing other new characters. Then they could have brought in Snyder to make a dark, gritty Batman film. I think that would have worked much better than what we ended up getting.

On the other hand, Snyder was the one who casted Gal Gadot and Jason Mamoa, and both of their single's movies were great. If Snyder hadn't been in charge, we might not have gotten them.

A lot of people need to remember the origins of the movie and why there is a cut in the first place. Batman v Superman Dawn of justice sent a shockwave spew of backlash. DC buckled under pressure and hired Whedon to Avengerised Justice League, make it more fun and goofy like Avengers to avoid another backlash. what we got was a mixed bag of wtf is going on with this movie when we saw it in cinema.

Perhaps the success of Joker as well at the total collapse of the media critics establishment that has tried to bully DC for so long to be like Marvel, The actors, crew members and DC fans has become more confident with Snyder's original vision which was to be a direct fellow up to dawn of justice.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus Arkham View Post

She's not saying she wants the cut. She's basically putting the ball in Snyder's hands, saying that if he has the time and resources to put together a cut he's happy with, then they'd put it out. Nelson is saying that Warners isn't putting any more of their time and money into it.

Snyder wants Warners to be pressured into investing more money into finishing his version. It's not going to happen.

While I agree it would be cool to see Snyder's version, and I get the interest in it, there's just no incentive for Warners to pour more money into it.