Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Default Preference: single universe or multiverse

Which do you prefer:

A single universe of continuity or a multiverse of no continuity?

Astonishing Member

You can have plenty of continuity in a multiverse.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Not quite sure how far you are going with "no continuity" - do you mean different titles have different continuities or each author's run on a title is a different continuity or just that there are multiple universes (earth-1, earth-2, etc.) each with their own continuity or that there are no ongoing titles at all or what?

With no continuity, there's little reason for me to read in any continuous fashion. Occasional OGN if the story looks good, but certainly nothing I'd ever subscribe to. There can be no meaningful growth or development. Individual stories may be fun (think of very old comics), but with literally no continuity, there's no reason to string them together. I mean in the regular title, you might for example have a 40 year old Bruce and 25 year old Dick and 13 year old Tim in one story, then have a 30 year old Bruce and a 10 year old Tim and a dead Dick Grayson in the next, then off to a 35 year old Bruce who has never had a side kick in the next. Characterization could be completely different from story to story.

Multiverse. Two major Earths (one a classic setup with a long history targeted for but not limited to the older fans, and one with a much smaller history window and "new" takes targeted for but not limited toward the younger audience). that follow a set continuity, and the rest revolving around them to show up and be explored at various times where appropriate.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 11-09-2019 at 03:04 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

The unlisted third option - multiverse WITH continuity.

There is no reason that a multiversal setting cannot sustain connectivity, so long as it doesn't get too bogged down.
    Lower The Pissing Winch!

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Multiverse. Two major Earths (one a classic setup with a long history targeted for but not limited to the older fans, and one with a much smaller history window and "new" takes targeted for but not limited toward the younger audience). that follow a set continuity, and the rest revolving around them to show up and be explored at various times where appropriate.
    I mean that might be interesting for a while but that kind of setup can't last for long for the same reason why Marvel's Ultimate universe eventually expired. Eventually the NuUniverse becomes as full of continuity as the other one. A sustainable fictional universe can't have "new" as the main selling point. I think that ended up being part of the downfall for dc's new 52 initiative.

Anyway, I'm fine with whatever you'd call the setup we have now. Only I think i'd make the multiverse infinite again, not sure what the appeal of having only 52 earths, or was it 53 now?

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Multiverse with continuity, like they used to have to an extent.

Fantastic Member qwertyuiop1998's Avatar

Multiverse, DC had tried the single universe continuity once, But eventually it has only proven the continuity wouldn't be simpler by making it only one universe. So they later bringing the multiverse back.
    "Dangerous Zombie! Transform!! Click And Load! Buggle UP! Danger! Danger! Death The Crisis! Dangerous Zombie!" Kamen Rider Gemn
    (In first he's mysterious and evil and now he's psycho and crazy and insane and evil AND "The Meme Lord"LOL.)

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Multiverse with continuity, like they used to have to an extent.
    That's the one I remember during the Bronze Age, too. The best approach, IMO.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Retired

There is alway a multiverse and there is always continuity. When DC was insisting there was only one universe with a single continuity, immediately after the Crisis reboot, they were publishing ELECTRIC WARRIOR, MASK, WATCHMEN, V FOR VENDETTA, Miller's "Dark Knight Returns," RONIN, STAR TREK, ANGEL LOVE, 'MAZING MAN, TALOS OF THE WILDERNESS SEA, SILVERBLADE, CENTURIONS, MS. TREE QUARTERLY, OUTCASTS, THE SHADOW, DOC SAVAGE, SLASH MARAUD, SONIC DISRUPTORS, THRILLER, UNDERWORLD, DRAGONLANCE, THE PRISONER, FLASH GORDON, SUPERBOY THE COMIC BOOK. None of these comics were set in the one DC Universe that was supposed to exist after Crisis; they each had a very specific continuity that they followed; and DC was clearly publishing titles that had to exist in multiple universes. They might not have used the word "multiverse," but that's what it was. There is always going to be a mulitverse of some sort whether the publisher acknowledges it or not.

They might not have used the word "multiverse," but that's what it was. There is always going to be a mulitverse of some sort whether the publisher acknowledges it or not.
    I don't know if I'd go that far. I think it only qualifies as a multiverse if all those realities exist within any one of the fictional stories. Elsewise, I'd treat it exactly as two different companies publishing different titles with different continuities. There may be multiple universes, but that's not the same as a multiverse to me. For me the multiverse means the fictional structure of their fictional existence having multiple universes. It can't be from a meta or real-world perspective only.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Multiverse today, tomorrow, and yesterday.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Multiverse. The single universe DC struggled to enforce between 1986 and 2006 felt like a straitjacket.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    Multiverse. The single universe DC struggled to enforce between 1986 and 2006 felt like a straitjacket.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Especially considering it was hardly a single universe even then. There were still plethora of alternate future stories, alternate universe, elseworlds (which is just a fancy name for multiverse stories), etc etc. The single universe thing didn't survive 10 years.