Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Minor nitpick: 17 was the one resurrected by the Dragon Balls. 18 got puked out by Cell and then Krillin wished the bombs out of their bodies.

Also, IIRC, the remote being a detonator was only in TFS. Canon has it as a Shut Down Remote both times.
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Lin Kuei Grandmaster Sub-Zero MKA's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Guy1 View Post
    Minor nitpick: 17 was the one resurrected by the Dragon Balls. 18 got puked out by Cell and then Krillin wished the bombs out of their bodies.

Also, IIRC, the remote being a detonator was only in TFS. Canon has it as a Shut Down Remote both times.
    It was a shut-off remote, yeah.

DBM | Sarada | Parsley

ROLL TIDE ROLL!

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

I stand corrected.

Well, there goes my theory.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Quote Originally Posted by Sub-Zero MKA View Post
    It was a shut-off remote, yeah.

Called it!
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

well that shut me up. lol

Friendship's Shockwave BitVyper's Avatar

I would tend to think that Bulma and her dad needing a good stretch of time with the blueprints to MAKE a shut off remote is actually a pretty decent feat resistance-wise though, considering Bulma's gone on to make things like fields that can contain even a fraction of the power Goku and Trunks output in a sparring match. Plus the myriad other tech-things the Briefs have done. At least I think it demonstrates that there's some decent security they had to get past.

Anyway, to throw a name out there, I'll say Circuit Breaker from the old TF comics could probably do it.
    I am a mighty wizard from magic lands

Quote Originally Posted by BitVyper View Post
    I would tend to think that Bulma and her dad needing a good stretch of time with the blueprints to MAKE a shut off remote is actually a pretty decent feat resistance-wise though, considering Bulma's gone on to make things like fields that can contain even a fraction of the power Goku and Trunks output in a sparring match. Plus the myriad other tech-things the Briefs have done. At least I think it demonstrates that there's some decent security they had to get past.

Anyway, to throw a name out there, I'll say Circuit Breaker from the old TF comics could probably do it.
    To be fair, they were working on a extremely short deadline what with Cell having revealed that he came back to the past in order to absorb the Androids and attain his Perfect form, and looking for blueprints in the workshop that they were already going to be investigating (and then blowing up) was probably exponentially faster than trying to figure out how to activate the emergency shutdown mechanism in technology created by a terrorist who was about as smart as them over a period of years, in a field that they didn't really do much work in (cybernetics, though they at least dabbled in pure Robotics).

That being said, Bulma [EDIT: wasn't] able to jerry rig her shutdown switch to have a range of more than a few meters, and she's the lady who can create an approximately palm-sized scanner that can locate six items over a completely different planet.
    Last edited by The Drunkard Kid; 11-11-2019 at 02:14 PM.

Yeah but Dr. Briefs reverse engineered FTL like a month after learning it was possible at all, and he didn't even have blueprints for that. That with enough time left over to invent ridiculous artificial gravity while he was at it.
    Last edited by BitVyper; 11-11-2019 at 12:39 AM.

Yeah but Dr. Briefs reverse engineered FTL like a month after learning it was possible at all, and he didn't even have blueprints for that. That with enough time left over to invent ridiculous artificial gravity while he was at it.
    Yeah, but that's a month with access to the technology in question (in the form of a blown up Saiyajin space pod), which may have included artificial gravity as well (since every large spaceship seems to have it as standard even though most of the people on them can fly, possibly as a form of inertial dampener. In the Androids case, they only had a couple of days (while also trying to keep Goku safely away from them as he recovered) and didn't have access to any of the technology, unless someone went back to grab #19's disgarded head.

And technically, Dr. Briefs probably knew about FTL being possible several months ago, unless Bulma didn't feel like mentioning to her parents about how she found out that one of her best friends was actually a space alien, and that another two menders of his discuss was on their way to kill them all.

You know, now that I think about it, Nappa and Vegeta were really lucky that Capsule Corp didn't figure out a way to detect and blow up their ships from around Jupiter. Especially since they definitely had figured out Scouter technology thanks to Radditz.
    Last edited by The Drunkard Kid; 11-11-2019 at 02:22 PM.

Access to a destroyed pod might make re-engineering the technology used to make it physically possible, but doing it that fast is insane unless it came with a how-to, which seems unlikely. Plus I mean, that time period also includes building a working ship with it, so it's probably more like a matter of days.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

I'm thinking that a New World Order technocrat or a Virtual Adept from the Old World of Darkness should be able to manage it. And they're not exactly all too powerful on their own (the technocrat tending to be less-powerful than the VA as well).
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

To clarify since people have said different things throughout the thread.

#17 and #18 don't have any mechanical parts as part of their actual body, having bio-modifications instead; Toriyama's been consistent on that point over the years, from the original manga to every Q&A since. The shutdown switch and the bombs were added to their body separately, which is why Shenron could remove the bombs without asking them for permission, but couldn't change them back to humans.

Artificial Human No. 17
    (...) Like No. 18, he is fundamentally human-based and only his organic matter has been restructured. The few mechanical parts that are used were for his emergency deactivation controller and self-destruction device. If the emergency deactivation controller is used on the powerful No. 17 and No. 18, they become unable to move their bodies.
    Being organic is why they can still reproduce and get stronger by training.

Q4: Do modified-human types like Artificial Humans No. 17 and No. 18 get stronger if they train?
    A: Since they’re human-based, of course they can become even stronger if they train.
    In the case of modified-human types like No. 17 and No. 18, since they’re human-based they can become stronger if they train. By the way, though they don’t need to eat, they do need to hydrate. Also, their cells deteriorate slowly, so they age slowly too.
    So it'd be impossible for a technopath to hack #18 herself, though unless it's been removed they could just activate the off-switch.
    Last edited by Siriel; 11-15-2019 at 12:07 PM.

Good find. I think Shenron just removed the bombs? I could be remembering wrong. At any rate, that would probably mean no to "hacking" them for any sort of control, but activating the shutdown switch (if it still exists) should still be possible.

Good find. I think Shenron just removed the bombs? I could be remembering wrong. At any rate, that would probably mean no to "hacking" them for any sort of control, but activating the shutdown switch (if it still exists) should still be possible.
    Only the bombs yeah, that's what Krillin wished for.

It just wouldn't be surprising if Toriyama was asked about it in a Q&A in the future and just handwaved that they had the shutdown removed too during a timeskip.