Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

As readers we can only guess and speculate as none of us work at Marvel.
    So...
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    As readers we can only guess and speculate as none of us work at Marvel.
    So...
    I was hoping there would be a known solid answer.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    I wonder when Busiek wanted to write a x-men book?
    I recall him saying on X-Plain the X-Men that he once pitched a book about what happened to the X-Men (the original 5 + Havok + Polaris) during the period when they were cancelled.

This is the premise that John Byrne finally sold with "X-Men: The Hidden Years," but it's an obvious enough premise that several people probably already suggested it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post
    I was hoping there would be a known solid answer.
    The closest you can get to that is a former writer complaining about not getting to do what he wanted. Like Bunn talking about how he was stuck with the O5, Grace talking about how he was micromanaged and Hickman talking about movie rights being an issue.
    Only way to get a solid answer would be if people like Quesada, Alonso and Cebulski told us how much they interfered when they had the power to do so.

BANNED

JDW said there was one thing in Hickman’s pitch that he wanted changed.

It doesn't surprise me at all if the editors have a tight fist control on what or how X-Men are written. They have to fit into Marvel's marketing scheme.

Didn’t Seagle and Kelly leave the X-books due to too much interference from the editors? I think they axed Seagle’s Jean Grey-story half way through. If it had been a healthy climate (back then), the editors and the writers would have gone through the stories together beforehand, that way they wouldn’t have had to change stories half way through.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnysv75 View Post
    Didn’t Seagle and Kelly leave the X-books due to too much interference from the editors? I think they axed Seagle’s Jean Grey-story half way through. If it had been a healthy climate (back then), the editors and the writers would have gone through the stories together beforehand, that way they wouldn’t have had to change stories half way through.
    I know about it, seagle and kelly abandoned or had to stop their run.

But the OP is asking about wider Marvel using x-men characters, if editors take it easy or not

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    I know about it, seagle and kelly abandoned or had to stop their run.

But the OP is asking about wider Marvel using x-men characters, if editors take it easy or not
    Actually it was just one example, I was more asking how editorially controlled it is compared to the other Marvel titles and how much disconnect it creates. However, also just how much the writers have to deal with (remembering how Busiek didn't write for X-Men because of this).

BANNED

They are moderately to heavily controlled, as is necessary if we are going to have a directed and cohesive brand of books.

Extraordinary Member

One way you can look at this is by looking at the X-Men appearances in Bob Harras's run as writer of "Avengers" (which I mostly liked despite the not-great cast). He was the editor of the X-Men line through all the years he was writing "Avengers" for a different editorial office, so he could theoretically have given himself permission to use X-characters any time. But in fact they appeared very, very rarely - the Beast appeared as a guest in his first story and then went years without appearing again, and there was one small X-Men/Avengers crossover, Bloodties, but mostly if an X-Men character appeared in the Avengers it was because Harras didn't want to use them in the X-books, like the Starjammers and the Shi'ar.

There are some X-characters it was easy to "loan out" to other books, like Wolverine, just like it's pretty easy to get a Spider-Man guest appearance. But in general the editors ran their lines very tightly and didn't want to let other offices do things that might affect the future of their characters. So once the Beast went back to the X-Men his status as an Avenger rarely came up, because that could complicate the stories the X-books were telling about him.

Something to note, Ta-Nehisi Coates' Captain America run features X-Men villainess Selene as an antagonist. There's definitely room for that stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post
    Actually it was just one example, I was more asking how editorially controlled it is compared to the other Marvel titles and how much disconnect it creates. However, also just how much the writers have to deal with (remembering how Busiek didn't write for X-Men because of this).
    Well ok now I understand.

i think it depends on editor and writer.
    Morrison wrote what he wanted mostly of time, he only had problems with the characters that Claremont was using (good for them).
    Hickman also seems to have good freedom, and the books are really connected to each other

Quote Originally Posted by tuck frump View Post
    Doesnt Busiek hate everything that came after the 05?
    Nope.

No wonder he was shut down and thanks Jeansus for small favors.
    I wasn't "shut down," I simply turned them down every time I was offered an X-project because they'd offer something like "We're going to do a Beast mini-series and here's the story. Want to write it?" I'd say "No thanks, I'd rather write something where I get to come up with a story."
    Visit www.busiek.com—for all your Busiek needs!

If only they had wanted a Beast and Wonder Man mini-series and let you come up with the story...
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate