Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Should there be a Mary Jane monthly?

The Amazing Mary Jane mini-series has debuted in the top ten.

Should Marvel try to go with a Mary Jane monthly? If so, what should it be about? What creative team would you like to see? Should Marvel ask the creative team of Leah Williams and Carlos Gomez, or would you like to see someone else on the title?
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Please don't jump the gun. That high placement is probably due to variant covers. Judge an ongoing's viability by how the later issues do, not issue one.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

No ongoing series. Just keep having her have a big role in Amazing Spider-Man or whatnot. There's no need for every character to have their own ongoing. That kind of stuff dilutes the brand more than it already does. A miniseries is fine, but no ongoing, period.

yes. Make it happen. Get someone who can write about the entertainment world.

I'd still want to see MJ as an entertainment news journalist who does modeling and occasional TV movies. Story arcs can take her to different global cities. Go beyond having Peter standing by to rescue her every time.

BANNED

It depends on how well the later issues do.

So far the mini's appeal is that it's set on the West Coast and features MJ and the Sinister Six. Eventually MJ will return East and to NY, and be a fixture in the main books so it will be different then.

Could AMJ work as a satellite title a la Spectacular and FNSM (which are these days kind of semi-limited series)? Maybe, maybe not.

But anyway, this strong debut with its variant covers and so on...confirms that Mary Jane is the biggest civilian character in Marvel and one of its most profitable female characters, and she's still highly popular.
    Last edited by Revolutionary_Jack; 11-10-2019 at 08:41 AM.

I mean, Marvel initially advertised it as an ongoing, so maybe they were planning on upgrading it from the very beginning ?

But in all seriousness, I wouldn't mind it. We really don't have a book focused on a civilian character on the Marvel side, and Mary Jane is one of their most iconic civilian characters, so having a book with a consistent focus on the life of a civilian in the Marvel Universe and one as charismatic and compelling as Mary Jane would be good in my opinion.

It would be interesting to see how it would still tie-in to ASM or the other Spidey book, but I would always be down for more Mary Jane .

I'd love it, but I'm worried about how well it'd actually do.

Extraordinary Member

If she is his GF....and going to be his wife...then no. Take the time in the books to show her story there.

If they can tell enough stories to justify twelve + issues, why not?
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    If they can tell enough stories to justify twelve + issues, why not?
    And make sure the stories don't feel padded.

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    And make sure the stories don't feel padded.
    Fair enough.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    No ongoing series. Just keep having her have a big role in Amazing Spider-Man or whatnot. There's no need for every character to have their own ongoing. That kind of stuff dilutes the brand more than it already does. A miniseries is fine, but no ongoing, period.
    This.....

There’s no need for an ongoing. At one point I thought this was going to be an ongoing disguised as a miniseries. That possibly marvel was waiting to see how this did before extending it. I’m glad MJ has a mini series because I’m a die hard fan of the character but no on going. Like you said, just make her a bigger role in ASM. Black cat already has an ongoing going on which has been pretty fun so far. Let’s just hurry up and get MJ back in ASM as the most important character not named Spider-Man where she belongs.

Quote Originally Posted by RD155 View Post
    This.....

There’s no need for an ongoing. At one point I thought this was going to be an ongoing disguised as a miniseries. That possibly marvel was waiting to see how this did before extending it. I’m glad MJ has a mini series because I’m a die hard fan of the character but no on going. Like you said, just make her a bigger role in ASM. Black cat already has an ongoing going on which has been pretty fun so far. Let’s just hurry up and get MJ back in ASM as the most important character not named Spider-Man where she belongs.
    Exactly, thank you.

Incredible Member

There was a Mary Jane monthly, Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane, and it was, my opinion, quite good, for those who are into that teen / young adult literature kind of read.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

After reading issue one I'm of two minds.

I am an MJ fan and really enjoyed the set up and cast of characters, and the signals that she'll ultimately have to 'become' Jackpot to battle actual super-villains is pretty funny. Obviously, she has had run-ins with numerous Spidey villains over the years, and has picked up a few tricks both from these experiences and from Peter, os this should help her with difficulties later in the series. Heck, she worked for Stark for 5 minutes so probably has an Iron-armour or two.

I do hope that with Spencer having built the threat of Vulture's new alliance, MJ won't be defeating anyone too high level, especially the Vulture. That goes for Mysterio, too.

On the other hand, I do prefer my supporting characters to remain civilians as it makes the hero seem more special. To me, turning numerous supporting characters into heroes (obviously one must become a villain. This IS comics) in their own right kinda dilutes the main hero little by little. If anyone can chuck on some spandex and be a hero, then why do we need superheroes to begin with?

This isn't to say for one second that MJ should just be Spider-man's girlfriend, she can, should be and is a multi-faceted character in her own right, it's just the question on whether an ongoing could support a non-super-herioic MJ.

Then again, maybe it is time for marvel to branch out a bit and run a comic about a 20-something woman making her way in the crazy world of Hollywood with a long-distance relationship with a prominent superhero and her own cast of quirky characters including one or two ex-supervillains.

F**k it, I've talked myself into it. Yes, give MJ an ongoing.

Just promise me it won't end with her making some kind of amnesia deal with a red dude.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!