Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by RD155 View Post
    This.....

There’s no need for an ongoing. At one point I thought this was going to be an ongoing disguised as a miniseries. That possibly marvel was waiting to see how this did before extending it. I’m glad MJ has a mini series because I’m a die hard fan of the character but no on going. Like you said, just make her a bigger role in ASM. Black cat already has an ongoing going on which has been pretty fun so far. Let’s just hurry up and get MJ back in ASM as the most important character not named Spider-Man where she belongs.
    I agree 100 percent..i will add this as well: An ongoing MJ will not be a long series like Amazing It will be more like 1 to 2 years like Superior or Ghost Spider, and further delay the end of OMD ( which is what many of us want).

This.....

There’s no need for an ongoing. At one point I thought this was going to be an ongoing disguised as a miniseries. That possibly marvel was waiting to see how this did before extending it. I’m glad MJ has a mini series because I’m a die hard fan of the character but no on going. Like you said, just make her a bigger role in ASM. Black cat already has an ongoing going on which has been pretty fun so far. Let’s just hurry up and get MJ back in ASM as the most important character not named Spider-Man where she belongs.
    MJ having a bigger role in ASM is great, but I think any character, especially a civilian, is somewhat limited in terms of screentime and paneltime in a Superhero book, which would make having a series solely dedicated to them and their own adventures useful in terms of focus.

As long as they don't make her a proper costumed Superhero and still use her in ASM, I don't have much of a problem with it.

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    I agree 100 percent..i will add this as well: An ongoing MJ will not be a long series like Amazing It will be more like 1 to 2 years like Superior or Ghost Spider, and further delay the end of OMD ( which is what many of us want).
    Are you even sure undoing OMD is in the cards anymore (if it ever was)?
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    MJ having a bigger role in ASM is great, but I think any character, especially a civilian, is somewhat limited in terms of screentime and paneltime in a Superhero book, which would make having a series solely dedicated to them and their own adventures useful in terms of focus.

As long as they don't make her a proper costumed Superhero and still use her in ASM, I don't have much of a problem with it.
    My issue with the ongoing besides what I’ve stated is that it feels way too similar to The black cat solo series. It seems like the MJ book is going to go the lighthearted comedy centric route. It worked in the first issue cause it was a good read. That being said it felt like I was almost reading an extension of the Black series with how light hearted it was. MJ is definitely a strong enough character to carry her some stories focused on her. No doubt about that. Long term I just don’t see it working though. Her characterization has been fantastic lately. However I want to see Peter and her have their stories progress forward and honestly think a solo would delay much like the mini series is right now in a sense.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Are you even sure undoing OMD is in the cards anymore (if it ever was)?
    This. I don’t think Marvel is ever going to touch on that story again. I don’t see it happening. At the start of the Kindred situation I was leaning towards maybe OMD being explored as a way of explaining Kindred. My opinion on that has changed as time as gone on....I don’t see Marvel ever touching on that story again....

Yeah but during the JMS run, MJ almost got as much page time as Peter. Now I know JMS limited the cast to Peter, MJ, and May, but he was able to show her as a major cast member, develop her, and give her equal billing. Why can't the same happen now? Why does she need her own series when Spencer could include her more in ASM?

My issue with the ongoing besides what I’ve stated is that it feels way too similar to The black cat solo series. It seems like the MJ book is going to go the lighthearted comedy centric route. It worked in the first issue cause it was a good read. That being said it felt like I was almost reading an extension of the Black series with how light hearted it was. MJ is definitely a strong enough character to carry her some stories focused on her. No doubt about that. Long term I just don’t see it working though. Her characterization has been fantastic lately. However I want to see Peter and her have their stories progress forward and honestly think a solo would delay much like the mini series is right now in a sense.
    I think the tone of the book fits MJ's character, personally, although I guess I can see the similarities to Felicia's solo even if the premises are so different.

I'd like to think if it were an ongoing there wouldn't be a need to continue keeping them separated but feature their own stories going on together. At least that's ideally how I'd like to see it happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    Yeah but during the JMS run, MJ almost got as much page time as Peter. Now I know JMS limited the cast to Peter, MJ, and May, but he was able to show her as a major cast member, develop her, and give her equal billing. Why can't the same happen now? Why does she need her own series when Spencer could include her more in ASM?
    I'm not saying she can't get major focus in ASM, even if I think to the extent of JMS you would need to cut down the cast like he did, but at the same time I think there are ways you can focus on and expand on a character in a solo that you wouldn't with them as a supporting character.

I'm not saying write her out of ASM, but I think this could be a great opportunity to showcase MJ in a way she hasn't been before.

I think the tone of the book fits MJ's character, personally, although I guess I can see the similarities to Felicia's solo even if the premises are so different.

I'd like to think if it were an ongoing there wouldn't be a need to continue keeping them separated but feature their own stories going on together. At least that's ideally how I'd like to see it happen.

I'm not saying she can't get major focus in ASM, even if I think to the extent of JMS you would need to cut down the cast like he did, but at the same time I think there are ways you can focus on and expand on a character in a solo that you wouldn't with them as a supporting character.

I'm not saying write her out of ASM, but I think this could be a great opportunity to showcase MJ in a way she hasn't been before.
    I still say no ongoing.

Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    I still say no ongoing.
    Fair enough .

I don't know if this is enough of a story engine for a monthly title, but there is potential in something that explores celebrity culture within a superhero universe and Mary Jane could be in the center of that.

A little bit will depend on how sales good, but the current numbers are based on a rather obscure creative team, so it is promising.

If an editor were approving an ongoing series, they'd be asked to go with the first pitch, to see if they have any arcs that can build on the idea of Mary Jane on the set of a film directed by Mysterio. A potential downside is where you go from having MJ as the lead of a big blockbuster film. What would the first year of the title be?
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I don't know if this is enough of a story engine for a monthly title, but there is potential in something that explores celebrity culture within a superhero universe and Mary Jane could be in the center of that.

A little bit will depend on how sales good, but the current numbers are based on a rather obscure creative team, so it is promising.

If an editor were approving an ongoing series, they'd be asked to go with the first pitch, to see if they have any arcs that can build on the idea of Mary Jane on the set of a film directed by Mysterio. A potential downside is where you go from having MJ as the lead of a big blockbuster film. What would the first year of the title be?
    I wouldn't even say celebrity status, although if this movie goes off without a hitch MJ might become more in-demand as an actress, but I think having a civilian perspective on the Marvel Universe and Spider-Man's world would be interesting for a book.

Astonishing Member

This. I don’t think Marvel is ever going to touch on that story again. I don’t see it happening. At the start of the Kindred situation I was leaning towards maybe OMD being explored as a way of explaining Kindred. My opinion on that has changed as time as gone on....I don’t see Marvel ever touching on that story again....
    I disagree. Marvel is already touching OMD. Seeing Otto and Miles making deals with Mephisto are examples of this. So is Pete being with MJ during Spencer's run. My prediction is after Kindred is exposed ( I predict Arthur or Jill Stacy), OMD will be gone soon after. Does it mean they will be married? Maybe , maybe not but I suspect Pete and will defeat Mephisto and things will revert to Pre-Slott days. Besides a Parker win, I would love to see Mephisto to get a real a-- kicking and never return to Amazing again.

As someone who thinks OMD will be undone someday, I don't see it happening for at least five years, bare minimum.

I don't know; a lot of stuff about OMD might well be phasing out, but I seriously doubt the marriage is ever coming back.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    I don't know; a lot of stuff about OMD might well be phasing out, but I seriously doubt the marriage is ever coming back.
    I actually feel That the marriage will come back and that possibly Marvel is just saving it for a rainy day Incase sales hit a slump or something. Marvel touching on OMD again won’t happen though. I actually wanted them too which was why I was all for Kindred somehow having an OMD connection....