Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default NEW52 Superman as basis for future Conner?

Hello,

I have an idea which I would LOVE to see:

As Rebirth started I REALLY hoped that they would use the NEW52 Superman as kind of basis for Conner.

I mean he was COOL, even though I prefer the classic Superman.
    BUT!! he would be cool as basis for Conner:

NEW52 Superman had another haircut, which made him look younger etc. and would fit Conner as well.
    NEW52 Superman was younger,not so muscular etc.

I often thougt that it would be cool just to replace Cape with Leather-Jacket and use it along the Classic Superman (Clark).

Superman Unchained had the best Superman Artwork which I have ever seen and also had some nice Storylines.

I'm against it. I think Kon should be himself and not a Superman-clone (humor intended). What I mean is, I want Kon to grow into his own. To not have a Super-title or be any sort of Superman stand-in (quite bitter about him being moved to Smallville and given a Luthor and about Jon's recent storyline). I want him to be more distinctive and unique and less Superman-seemy. And Kon's personality should be his personality, not lifted from some other era of Superman (which I have seen suggested elsewhere).

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I would rather see him get his own Earth. It seems a shame to just throw that version away when it had so many things that people liked. The entire New 52 concept doesn't sound like a bad idea for it's own universe. And with Earth One stuck in a sort of odd limbo, I wouldn't mind seeing New 52 converted into a sort of Ultimates type universe.
    Assassinate Putin!

Good idea there. After all, we know that the restoration of some of the old continuity in Rebirth has in particular completely negated the New 52 Superman, Action Comics, Teen Titans, Superboy, and Wonder Woman comics - I would suspect that they're not the only ones. The current explanations are that Superman Reborn essentially erased Superman's solo adventures from that period, and replaced the young Supes in Justice League with his older version (same thing with Cyborg, who would now have been upgraded instead of created in that first arc), Wonder Woman was explained as fake memories (again, only her JL adventures still happened), and both New 52 Superboy and Bart were erased outright - their pre-Flashpoint counterparts later returning from Gemworld and the Speed Force respectively.

Oh, and the wiki admins need to get their act together. They have Young Justice Bendis Conner as being the New 52 one, when he clearly isn't. Everyone on this talk page agrees about this, except for admin Tupka.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 11-10-2019 at 10:10 AM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Will never work. Rebirth, if one thing is showing us, trying to hijack whole character's history or trying to change stuff without character's earning their place...fandom will not embrace it. You have to build from the ground up. Evolve organically.

Another simple reason is Conner is not new 52 Superman. He never was and the fandom that loves new 52 Superman has books that debunk this. All the jumping the shark retcons and revisionist history makes for lousy story telling and debunks everything we have before. New 52 Superman has 5 years of stories and he is Clark Kent. Even Rebirth with its merger nonsense had this.

Also Conner has his own origin and look and personality.

Give new 52 Superman his own verse. Simple. The events in his life and the comics he was in would then make sense and matter. Leave Conner with his own personality and hx.

Wouldn't do much for me personally. I'm interested in a younger Superman, and that scratched that itch in some way. Passing attributes onto Conner or Jon or some other next gen character just means nothing to me personally. If its not Kal-El/Clark Kent, I don't care. I'm in the different Earth camp like others have said. Things are at the point where its in pipe dream territory now I'd imagine, but its still what I'd love.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 11-10-2019 at 11:05 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Fantastic Member qwertyuiop1998's Avatar

I can't agree with that. I mean, Even though New52 Supes was more reckless compared to classic(Post-Crisis) Superman, But he still had been portrayed as Superman. I don't think replace him with Conner was a good idea
    "Dangerous Zombie! Transform!! Click And Load! Buggle UP! Danger! Danger! Death The Crisis! Dangerous Zombie!" Kamen Rider Gemn
    (In first he's mysterious and evil and now he's psycho and crazy and insane and evil AND "The Meme Lord"LOL.)

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Wouldn't do much for me personally. I'm interested in a younger Superman, and that scratched that itch in some way. Passing attributes onto Conner or Jon or some other next gen character just means nothing to me personally. If its not Kal-El/Clark Kent, I don't care. I'm in the different Earth camp like others have said. Things are at the point where its in pipe dream territory now I'd imagine, but its still what I'd love.
    I think the further and further away we get from New 52, the less likely this will be. We're now three years out from Rebirth so it seems unlikely anything from New 52 Superman will ever be touched again. Don't expect to see that Sideways version of Superman anytime soon. If ever. This is like someone asking for a pre-Crisis Superman title around 1990. Too much time has passed at that point.
    Assassinate Putin!

I sort of agree? NuSuperman was created to appeal to millennials, made specifically younger, focused on social issues and inequality, and quit the Daily Planet to become a crusading blogger.

I think this stuff could apply to Conner.

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    I think the further and further away we get from New 52, the less likely this will be. We're now three years out from Rebirth so it seems unlikely anything from New 52 Superman will ever be touched again. Don't expect to see that Sideways version of Superman anytime soon. If ever. This is like someone asking for a pre-Crisis Superman title around 1990. Too much time has passed at that point.
    I don't either at this point. Hell my wish has always been something just with the same spirit, not necessarily the exact same version narratively. But even that I find unlikely. Black Label can provide some different takes, but beyond that its no-Secret-ID, Earth President Superdad. IOW, something that doesn't appeal to me a bit.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Same. What was so appealing about that take for me was because it was Clark.

It wouldn't appeal to me to just apply it to Conner, a character I'm not super invested in to begin with.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Never say never, though. Just think of how much effort has been put into making Superman more like the Pre-Crisis version over the last 15 or so years!

Reboots tend to be cyclical. I would not be surprised if, around 2030 (or even earlier) the New 52 Superman is what creators seek to emulate for their latest Superman reinvention.

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    I sort of agree? NuSuperman was created to appeal to millennials, made specifically younger, focused on social issues and inequality, and quit the Daily Planet to become a crusading blogger.

I think this stuff could apply to Conner.
    Not really. Conner is a totally different character from a young Clark Kent. The only similarities are their ages (to an extent), appearances and, to an extent, costumes.

One of the theories back before Superman Reborn came out was that the New 52 Superman was in fact Conner who was brainwashed by Mr. Oz to believe he was Superman. I loved that theory, but it works because its about Connor being made to believe that he's Clark Kent - not that Connor is inherently that version of Superman.

It could be the starting point for a new take on Conner but not the end goal. I don't mind if Conner tries to pattern himself after New52 Clark and it doesn't work out the way he wanted or he realized he has to do things differently, doesn't know how to tackle it, etc.

Basically I don't want him to become a carbon copy nor do I want Conner to be retconned into New52 Clark/Superman.

A homage is another story.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 11-11-2019 at 07:05 PM.

To me, there's just so many incompatible takes on Kon already. There's the 90s kid with the jacket and fade telling everyone they aren't his real dad, there's the "basically Clark but younger" approach from the pre-Flashpoint era, there's the weird assassin kid from the New 52 and the angry kid slowly chilling out from Young Justice animated. And none of them are really anything alike. I'm conflicted about creating yet another one.

At the same time, I really love the New 52 Superman as Superman. And I miss him. Bringing him back, but stripping him of the "Superman" title and the "Clark Kent/Kal-El" identity, seems very sad to me.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    I'm against it. I think Kon should be himself and not a Superman-clone (humor intended). What I mean is, I want Kon to grow into his own. To not have a Super-title or be any sort of Superman stand-in (quite bitter about him being moved to Smallville and given a Luthor and about Jon's recent storyline). I want him to be more distinctive and unique and less Superman-seemy. And Kon's personality should be his personality, not lifted from some other era of Superman (which I have seen suggested elsewhere).
    Quote Originally Posted by hellacre View Post
    Will never work. Rebirth, if one thing is showing us, trying to hijack whole character's history or trying to change stuff without character's earning their place...fandom will not embrace it. You have to build from the ground up. Evolve organically.

Another simple reason is Conner is not new 52 Superman. He never was and the fandom that loves new 52 Superman has books that debunk this. All the jumping the shark retcons and revisionist history makes for lousy story telling and debunks everything we have before. New 52 Superman has 5 years of stories and he is Clark Kent. Even Rebirth with its merger nonsense had this.

Also Conner has his own origin and look and personality.

Give new 52 Superman his own verse. Simple. The events in his life and the comics he was in would then make sense and matter. Leave Conner with his own personality and hx.
    Quote Originally Posted by qwertyuiop1998 View Post
    I can't agree with that. I mean, Even though New52 Supes was more reckless compared to classic(Post-Crisis) Superman, But he still had been portrayed as Superman. I don't think replace him with Conner was a good idea
    I think you misunderstood me:

I DIDNT mean to replace Conner simply with NEW52 Superman.

What I was talking about is the following:
    I was always a fan of Conner becoming older, especially now there is another Superboy (Jonathan).
    Conner had already had his time in YJ and TT, so he should grow and become older than he is now (21 years).

So you can give him new Storylines, making him independent of Clark etc. give him his OWN CITY etc.

And therefore I think it would be a nice Idea to use some things of the NEW52 Superman:
    -Bodysize
    -Costume (excluding the Cape), but maybe change it into the RED/BLUE Color of the original Superboy Costume
    -Power Level
    -Face structure (since NEW52 Superman ALWAYS reminded me more of Conner than of Clark)

MIXED with:
    -TTK of Conner
    -Conners History and attitude (but more mature)

So I was more talking about the APPEARANCE (MUSCLES,COSTUME,FACE STRUCTURE) rather than personality etc.
    Even though I think that if Conner gets older he would be similar to NEW52 Superman.

I personally really miss the TT appearance of Conner with more muscles,it made him look more impressive.