Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Incredible Member Amazon Swordsman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    In the old myths it had that some of the Amazons were daughters of Hercules. So kinda like demi-goddesses.
    Honestly, I’ve never really considered any of the Amazons to be “human”, more mystic humanoid if that makes sense. Not necessarily demigods, (maybe 25% idk lol) or just mythical beings. Kinda like nymphs, but on a much higher human-like level. I guess I’ve always thought of them that way since while they are on Earth, they are not necessarily “of Earth”, since I’ve always thought of Themyscira as being cast in a different dimension.

Themyscria was first a island on our plane than went to a different dimension. I wonder if maybe the Amazons were simple women and were blessed by Aphrodite and the other female gods.

Quote Originally Posted by Amazon Swordsman View Post
    Honestly, I’ve never really considered any of the Amazons to be “human”, more mystic humanoid if that makes sense. Not necessarily demigods, (maybe 25% idk lol) or just mythical beings. Kinda like nymphs, but on a much higher human-like level. I guess I’ve always thought of them that way since while they are on Earth, they are not necessarily “of Earth”, since I’ve always thought of Themyscira as being cast in a different dimension.
    Well, it doesn't help that the writers in DC rarely bother to talk about the origin of the Amazons. IIRC some of the stories suggested that Hippolyta was the same as the mythical queen. but it's not clear if that's the "normal" version of Hippolyta's origin.

One problem seen with pretty much every DCAU character that wasn't Batman or Superman is how each episode had around 5 minutes of time to do character development. Sure WW is one of the characters seen most often, but that's still not a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    One problem seen with pretty much every DCAU character that wasn't Batman or Superman is how each episode had around 5 minutes of time to do character development. Sure WW is one of the characters seen most often, but that's still not a lot.
    That's why I preferred the second season over the bulk of the Unlimited era. They didn't have to cram all the story into 22 minutes. That said, they had enough time to flesh out WW, but the bigger issue was that they did a pretty mediocre job compared to characters like John Stewart and Shayera.

Incredible Member Amazon Swordsman's Avatar

Is this thread restricted to Timmverse WW? Or does this also include JLA WW??

Quote Originally Posted by Amazon Swordsman View Post
    Is this thread restricted to Timmverse WW? Or does this also include JLA WW??
    “DCAU” tends to be shorthand for referring to just the Timmverse but I don’t see any reason you couldn’t talk about the JLA WW.

Honestly, we need a Wonder Woman animated series to give her mythos and characters the breadth and depth they're cable of achieving.

After Batman, and alongside the Flash, I'd say Diana's adversaries and the ideas behind a bunch of her villains are far, far stronger than Green Lantern's and Superman's.

We just need someone to care and create compelling stories for Cheetah, The Mask, Blue Snowman, Zara, Eviless, Osira, Doctor Poison, Doctor Psycho, and a whole bunch of other character concepts in her rogues gallery.

Call me DC! I can see it all so clearly in my mind.

I'm curious who should be the main cast. Which versions of the characters would you like? I don't want a black Etta. We need the red hair. I would like Nubia and Mala

Since this thread is necessarily limited to the Timm-verse, can I just say the current animated universe has been hot garbage for Diana?

I guess the foundation was pretty poisoned from the start since it was based mainly on the New 52, but good lord...how many times as Diana gotten her ass kicked or possessed by the bad guys and needed to be rescued in these movies? JL Dark, JL vs. Titans, Death of Superman off the top of my head.

Bloodlines was decent enough, but it seems the standard approach from DC when it comes to Wonder Woman is "bare minimum and be grateful for that." And based on what I've heard about the upcoming movie, Apokolips War, it ain't getting better any time soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post
    Since this thread is necessarily limited to the Timm-verse, can I just say the current animated universe has been hot garbage for Diana?

I guess the foundation was pretty poisoned from the start since it was based mainly on the New 52, but good lord...how many times as Diana gotten her ass kicked or possessed by the bad guys and needed to be rescued in these movies? JL Dark, JL vs. Titans, Death of Superman off the top of my head.

Bloodlines was decent enough, but it seems the standard approach from DC when it comes to Wonder Woman is "bare minimum and be grateful for that." And based on what I've heard about the upcoming movie, Apokolips War, it ain't getting better any time soon.
    To be fair, these movies have a theme in which the entire JL gets beaten down until the guest heroes do their thing. It's one of the weaknesses of Throne of Atlantis and Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    To be fair, these movies have a theme in which the entire JL gets beaten down until the guest heroes do their thing. It's one of the weaknesses of Throne of Atlantis and Titans.
    They even made a joke about it in Death of Superman .

Although, to be fair, she probably did the best against Doomsday save for Superman.

At what point does one get sick of "being fair" to DC, though? Especially when it amounts to little more than Diana being the best loser of the jobber squad.
    Thanks for the table scraps, DC!

Are Green Lantern and Flash fans just as sick of this crap as Diana fans? Obviously, this is a Wonder Woman forum and she's my favorite character so I'm going to focus on her, but I think we're all in the same crummy boat on this front.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post
    At what point does one get sick of "being fair" to DC, though? Especially when it amounts to little more than Diana being the best loser of the jobber squad.
    Thanks for the table scraps, DC!

Are Green Lantern and Flash fans just as sick of this crap as Diana fans? Obviously, this is a Wonder Woman forum and she's my favorite character so I'm going to focus on her, but I think we're all in the same crummy boat on this front.
    You're not wrong for being annoyed, but I just wanted to point out that the problems with recent movies weren't WW-specific and are prevalent in various movies, as well as older TV series. Agreed everyone hates seeing heroes used this way.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

I'm actually curious whether the classic JL lineup, beloved by many if not most, achieved individual characterizations that were palatable to new or impartial viewers, but left a bad taste for hardcore fans of individual characters. If you're not a Superman fan, it was fine, but I've seen a good number of complaints about his role. Same for Wally who, speaking for me personally, was made very juvenile. John Stewart was given solid characterization, but they leaned hard into his marine corps background and you'd never know he was an architect.

Ugh.jpg
    Yep, there it is. Diana's going to get turned into Darkseid's cyborg slave. Happy days.

I think the thing that really gets me--aside from her getting punked out AGAIN--is do you think we'll see her demonstrate heroic resolve and break free? NOPE! She's going to get rescued by the other heroes...after they kick her ass, 'natch. And once she's free, will she avenge this violation of her mind and body? NOPE! Step aside Diana, and let the REAL heroes save the day.

God, it's Final Crisis all over again. And Grant Morrison actually apologized for how he treated Diana in that story.

And before anyone says it, I know this isn't a Wonder Woman story, so she was never going to be the central character.
    BUT...I would like to point out, despite being titled Justice League Dark, this movie looks like it's going to revolve mainly around Superman, Raven (a Titan), Robin (another Titan), and feature Aquaman and Mera getting recruited to join the fight.

So...yeah.

Some have speculated this Apokolips War is going to be the end of this current animated universe, and I really hope so. Not going to lie, although I thought Bloodlines was okay, it really did nag on my mind that I was watching a lame jobber Diana who'd already been crushed by Doomsday and humiliated multiple other times.
    And, hey, looks like the worst is yet to come!

I kind of feel bad for Rosario Dawson. I'm not big on her as Diana, but in her defense, she's saddled with a really crappy iteration whose main contribution to these movies is to get her ass kicked.
    At least it's an easy paycheck.