View Poll Results: Is Jean Really Ororo's Best Friend?

Voters
116. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    85 73.28%
  • No

    31 26.72%
Page 1 of 31 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 457
  1. #1
    Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    15,695

    Default Is Jean Grey Really Ororo's Best Friend?

    The latest issue of Marvel 1001 inspired this thought and I think I can conclude that Jean really isn't her friend. A few things have occurred throughout their relationship that helped me come to this conclusion.

    1. In the Classic Xmen story, Jean exerted her privilege when judging Ororo about not needing to wear clothing. They later would go on a girls night out on the town and Jean committed the ultimate sin and violated Ororo by reading her mind without her permission:

    https://comicvine.gamespot.com/storm...riend-2049096/



    Ororo eventually forgave Jean as she came up with some lame excuse about not being able to control her powers but that wouldnt be the last time Jean would wrong her.

    During the Dark Phoenix saga, Jean's ultimate desires were being fulfilled via Mastermind. One of those fantasies was reliving the colonial period in which she viewed Ororo as a slave and treated her accordingly:



    I think this was probably the worst thing she could have done to Ororo and for me it sealed the deal on this question for me.

    Nevertheless, it was recently revealed that during a period after Jean returned from the death of Phoenix Ororo left the xmen for a brief period and Jean didnt care about her emotions, why she left and even acknowledged she was a jerk but was glad to see her leave:



    Lastly, Jean helped push Forge to ultimately end up breaking off his engagement to Ororo. This was one of the happiest moments of Ororo's life yet Jean in her instigation ruined that moment for her:

    https://comicvine1.cbsistatic.com/up...g internet.jpg

    This resulted in him lashing out on Ororo and breaking off the engagement, which she was going to say yes to:


    https://comicvine1.cbsistatic.com/up...g internet.jpg

    These things Jean has done Ororo never even knew. How can Jean truly be her friend when she harbors such thoughts against ororo ? So I don't think that Jean is a friend or at the very least hasnt been a good friend to Ororo. What are your thoughts?
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

  2. #2
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,958

    Default

    Yes, to Ororo, Jean is her best friend. It doesn't matter if she deserves the title or not in someone else opinion. We can't dictate who someones best friend is or isn't for them.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.

  3. #3
    Astonishing Member powerpax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    2,109

    Default

    I don't count parody stories. Yes, they're besties.

  4. #4
    Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    15,695

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by powerpax View Post
    I don't count parody stories. Yes, they're besties.
    which stories were parodies?
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

  5. #5
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    613

    Default

    Her best female friend, maybe. X-MEN lore would have us believe she is. Actual X-Men continuity tells us that she's spent more time cultivating a relationship with Psylocke, Rogue and Kitty Pryde tho.

  6. #6
    Astonishing Member powerpax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    2,109

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    which stories were parodies?
    That Marvel 1001 thing is clearly a gag AFAIC.

    I also don't count the whole Black Queen thing against her. Her mind was fucked with by Wyngarde back to a Victorian mindset, combined with clumsy early '80s comic book racial politics. Plus depending on who you ask that isn't necessarily even Jean.

  7. #7

    Default

    Thought it was Yukio
    "I just don't get why you wouldn't want to break the law anymore" --Scorpia

  8. #8
    Mighty Member LordUltimus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    1,962

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    which stories were parodies?
    Even if the 1001 story wasn't a "parody" exactly, most of the stories there were ambiguous continuity at best.

  9. #9
    Ultimate Member Tycon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    10,477

    Default

    yes they’re really best friends




    /thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    Thought it was Yukio
    no that’s her girlfriend

  10. #10
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,958

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    yes they’re really best friends




    /thread



    no that’s her girlfriend
    One scene that always stands out to me is when Storm was also ready to go against everything to help her sister during the Dark Phoenix saga because she could no more deny her than herself.

    Also when Storm went Rogue Storm, it was the thought of Jean that brought her back.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.

  11. #11
    Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    15,695

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by terrancejameson View Post
    Her best female friend, maybe. X-MEN lore would have us believe she is. Actual X-Men continuity tells us that she's spent more time cultivating a relationship with Psylocke, Rogue and Kitty Pryde tho.
    agreed

    Quote Originally Posted by powerpax View Post
    That Marvel 1001 thing is clearly a gag AFAIC.

    I also don't count the whole Black Queen thing against her. Her mind was fucked with by Wyngarde back to a Victorian mindset, combined with clumsy early '80s comic book racial politics. Plus depending on who you ask that isn't necessarily even Jean.
    No that was definitely Jean. it was her thoughts and desires. and all the instances are posted are canon. my problem is Jean has inner thoughts about ororo she has never shared therefore there friendship seems to hinge around a huge lie. it's not authentic


    Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    yes they’re really best friends




    /thread



    no that’s her girlfriend
    no yukio is her best friend, ororo is straight and the scans I've posted demonstrate Jean is fake.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

  12. #12
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,958

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    agreed



    No that was definitely Jean. it was her thoughts and desires. and all the instances are posted are canon. my problem is Jean has inner thoughts about ororo she has never shared therefore there friendship seems to hinge around a huge lie. it's not authentic




    no yukio is her best friend, ororo is straight and the scans I've posted demonstrate Jean is fake.
    well if your going to tell us the answer why ask the question? #confused.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.

  13. #13
    Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    15,695

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    well if your going to tell us the answer why ask the question? #confused.
    it's called debating and dialogue . weren't you on a debate team?
    #evenmoreconfused
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

  14. #14
    Astonishing Member powerpax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    2,109

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    No that was definitely Jean. it was her thoughts and desires. and all the instances are posted are canon. my problem is Jean has inner thoughts about ororo she has never shared therefore there friendship seems to hinge around a huge lie. it's not authentic
    OK! I disagree. I can tweak overinvested fans myself at times but this one's a reach for me, y'all have fun.

  15. #15
    Ultimate Member Tycon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    10,477

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    no yukio is her best friend, ororo is straight and the scans I've posted demonstrate Jean is fake.
    nope she’s definitely not straight. but you can keep in thinking she is though, i won’t take that away from you

    anyway no you posted a scan of a corrupted phoenix posing as jean being written by a man who knew shit all about race politics and a comic panel from someone who wrote a one page story set who knows when. point is, they are and have been established as best friend

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •