View Poll Results: Is Jean Really Ororo's Best Friend?

Voters
117. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

85 72.65%
  • No

32 27.35%
Page 1 of 31 1234511 ... LastLast
    Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Default Is Jean Grey Really Ororo's Best Friend?

The latest issue of Marvel 1001 inspired this thought and I think I can conclude that Jean really isn't her friend. A few things have occurred throughout their relationship that helped me come to this conclusion.

1. In the Classic Xmen story, Jean exerted her privilege when judging Ororo about not needing to wear clothing. They later would go on a girls night out on the town and Jean committed the ultimate sin and violated Ororo by reading her mind without her permission:

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/storm...riend-2049096/

Ororo eventually forgave Jean as she came up with some lame excuse about not being able to control her powers but that wouldnt be the last time Jean would wrong her.

During the Dark Phoenix saga, Jean's ultimate desires were being fulfilled via Mastermind. One of those fantasies was reliving the colonial period in which she viewed Ororo as a slave and treated her accordingly:

I think this was probably the worst thing she could have done to Ororo and for me it sealed the deal on this question for me.

Nevertheless, it was recently revealed that during a period after Jean returned from the death of Phoenix Ororo left the xmen for a brief period and Jean didnt care about her emotions, why she left and even acknowledged she was a jerk but was glad to see her leave:

Lastly, Jean helped push Forge to ultimately end up breaking off his engagement to Ororo. This was one of the happiest moments of Ororo's life yet Jean in her instigation ruined that moment for her:

https://comicvine1.cbsistatic.com/up...g internet.jpg

This resulted in him lashing out on Ororo and breaking off the engagement, which she was going to say yes to:

https://comicvine1.cbsistatic.com/up...g internet.jpg

These things Jean has done Ororo never even knew. How can Jean truly be her friend when she harbors such thoughts against ororo ? So I don't think that Jean is a friend or at the very least hasnt been a good friend to Ororo. What are your thoughts?
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Yes, to Ororo, Jean is her best friend. It doesn't matter if she deserves the title or not in someone else opinion. We can't dictate who someones best friend is or isn't for them.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

BANNED

I don't count parody stories. Yes, they're besties.

Quote Originally Posted by powerpax View Post
    I don't count parody stories. Yes, they're besties.
    which stories were parodies?
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

BANNED

Her best female friend, maybe. X-MEN lore would have us believe she is. Actual X-Men continuity tells us that she's spent more time cultivating a relationship with Psylocke, Rogue and Kitty Pryde tho.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    That Marvel 1001 thing is clearly a gag AFAIC.

I also don't count the whole Black Queen thing against her. Her mind was fucked with by Wyngarde back to a Victorian mindset, combined with clumsy early '80s comic book racial politics. Plus depending on who you ask that isn't necessarily even Jean.

Thought it was Yukio

Even if the 1001 story wasn't a "parody" exactly, most of the stories there were ambiguous continuity at best.

yes they’re really best friends

/thread

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    Thought it was Yukio
    no that’s her girlfriend

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post

/thread

no that’s her girlfriend
    One scene that always stands out to me is when Storm was also ready to go against everything to help her sister during the Dark Phoenix saga because she could no more deny her than herself.

Also when Storm went Rogue Storm, it was the thought of Jean that brought her back.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

Quote Originally Posted by terrancejameson View Post
    Her best female friend, maybe. X-MEN lore would have us believe she is. Actual X-Men continuity tells us that she's spent more time cultivating a relationship with Psylocke, Rogue and Kitty Pryde tho.
    agreed

Quote Originally Posted by powerpax View Post
    That Marvel 1001 thing is clearly a gag AFAIC.

I also don't count the whole Black Queen thing against her. Her mind was fucked with by Wyngarde back to a Victorian mindset, combined with clumsy early '80s comic book racial politics. Plus depending on who you ask that isn't necessarily even Jean.
    No that was definitely Jean. it was her thoughts and desires. and all the instances are posted are canon. my problem is Jean has inner thoughts about ororo she has never shared therefore there friendship seems to hinge around a huge lie. it's not authentic

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post

/thread

no that’s her girlfriend
    no yukio is her best friend, ororo is straight and the scans I've posted demonstrate Jean is fake.

agreed

No that was definitely Jean. it was her thoughts and desires. and all the instances are posted are canon. my problem is Jean has inner thoughts about ororo she has never shared therefore there friendship seems to hinge around a huge lie. it's not authentic

no yukio is her best friend, ororo is straight and the scans I've posted demonstrate Jean is fake.
    well if your going to tell us the answer why ask the question? #confused.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    well if your going to tell us the answer why ask the question? #confused.
    it's called debating and dialogue . weren't you on a debate team?
    #evenmoreconfused

BANNED

OK! I disagree. I can tweak overinvested fans myself at times but this one's a reach for me, y'all have fun.

nope she’s definitely not straight. but you can keep in thinking she is though, i won’t take that away from you

anyway no you posted a scan of a corrupted phoenix posing as jean being written by a man who knew **** all about race politics and a comic panel from someone who wrote a one page story set who knows when. point is, they are and have been established as best friend