View Poll Results: Is Jean Really Ororo's Best Friend?

Voters
117. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

85 72.65%
  • No

32 27.35%
Page 29 of 31 FirstFirst ... 1925262728293031 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    No, he didn't. It was pure speculation and hopes from fans. The only thing he wanted was Scott and Emma together.
    Word on the street is Morrison actually intended Scott and Ororo to have the affair! Luckily Lord Claremont called dibs on Ororo for X-Treme X-Men, and Morrison dusted off Gen X's Emma instead. While that shift did relegate Ororo to a satellite book and elevate Emma to heights she had never known before(and begun a whole decade of her taking a central position in the franchise), I don't think the fandom would have survived a Ororo-Scott-Jean triangle(nor would it have even made much sense for those characters coming off the 90's).
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Quote Originally Posted by franckd View Post
    Exactly. Quesada didn't want Jean back. They brought back Magneto almost immediately with a Corn retcon. They brought back Colossus, Psylocke, but for some reasons, Quesada didn't want Jean's return, even if some writers wanted to bring her back. I remember that the character of Revenant was supposed to be Jean. That's what the writer wanted. It ended up being Rachel.

Before becoming Hope Summers, the baby was supposed to be reincarnated Jean.

There is also an other writer who wanted Jean back, and said in an interview that "they" won't allow him. I am too lazy write now to dig up this interview, but it was quite interesting.
    Mikey carey said that the perfect way to ressurrect Jean would be getting back and time and making Morrison not killing Jean.
    I think there is more behind the scenes than just Quesada saying no.; Morrison killed her is a bigger factor than people on this boards want to acknowledge

Then on the other question he heavily implied that he couldn't get her back even if he wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    Word on the street is Morrison actually intended Scott and Ororo to have the affair! Luckily Lord Claremont called dibs on Ororo for X-Treme X-Men, and Morrison dusted off Gen X's Emma instead. While that shift did relegate Ororo to a satellite book and elevate Emma to heights she had never known before(and begun a whole decade of her taking a central position in the franchise), I don't think the fandom would have survived a Ororo-Scott-Jean triangle(nor would it have even made much sense for those characters coming off the 90's).
    I heard of this a lot, there is a lot of rumors about Morrison's run. Maybe because there is few interviews availiable and we never really see him talking about the run.
    Maybe it was a first draft, as Emma was not supposssed to be on the run since Morrison wanted Colossus.
    Claremont saved Ororo from a major character assassination
    Last edited by spirit2011; 11-16-2019 at 09:05 AM.

Mikey carey said that the perfect way to ressurrect Jean would be getting back and time and making Morrison not killing Jean.
    I think there is more behind the scenes than just Quesada saying no.; Morrison killed her is a bigger factor than people on this boards want to acknowledge

Then on the other question he heavily implied that he couldn't get her back even if he wanted.
    Can you source that? I don't recall Carey saying that but I do recall shortly after Phoenix Endsong he made a statement something to the effect that Jean wasn't usable. He had said in an interview, I believe an X-position here on CBR that he was rather passionate about the character. As you said he wanted to use her in Age of X but couldn't.

Morrison did kill Jean but he also elevated her back into the Phoenix, something that should have never been taken from her. He also gave her a way back - the Phoenix instantly brought her back when Wolverine killed her and they went into the sun. The phoenix didn't bring her back in New X-men 150 because there was phoenix work to be done elsewhere.

So Morrison provided a vehicle that was used to bring her back in Phoenix Endsong and later in Phoenix Resurrection (the Phoenix!). It was the will of the editorial/writers who chose not to bring her back so I don't see how anyone can blame Morrison. People still cry over the affair and the loss of the Scott/Jean relationship but he gave Jean a whole subplot through his iconic and historic run plus gave her many awesome moments throughout and one of my personal favs - Jean holding the badly wounded orphan universe in her hands. He gave her a legacy and a destiny and made her a very important character. Nothing is perfect so yes we had the love drama but Morrison gave Jean so much more and made her more than just being Scott's wife/girlfriend. She had her own story, her own mission, and again he put her and Phoenix back together (though it wouldn't last because other writers would do the Phoenix 5 and the gross stuff with Hope).

Quote Originally Posted by MechaJeanix View Post
    Can you source that? I don't recall Carey saying that but I do recall shortly after Phoenix Endsong he made a statement something to the effect that Jean wasn't usable. He had said in an interview, I believe an X-position here on CBR that he was rather passionate about the character. As you said he wanted to use her in Age of X but couldn't.
    I got it from a archive from a Jean fans forum. Pretty reliable s it has one decade worth of reactions.
    Morrison did kill Jean but he also elevated her back into the Phoenix, something that should have never been taken from her. He also gave her a way back - the Phoenix instantly brought her back when Wolverine killed her and they went into the sun. The phoenix didn't bring her back in New X-men 150 because there was phoenix work to be done elsewhere.
    Seagle and kelly did that before. Not big feat for me, more damage than good
    So Morrison provided a vehicle that was used to bring her back in Phoenix Endsong and later in Phoenix Resurrection (the Phoenix!). It was the will of the editorial/writers who chose not to bring her back so I don't see how anyone can blame Morrison. People still cry over the affair and the loss of the Scott/Jean relationship but he gave Jean a whole subplot through his iconic and historic run plus gave her many awesome moments throughout and one of my personal favs - Jean holding the badly wounded orphan universe in her hands. He gave her a legacy and a destiny and made her a very important character. Nothing is perfect so yes we had the love drama but Morrison gave Jean so much more and made her more than just being Scott's wife/girlfriend. She had her own story, her own mission, and again he put her and Phoenix back together (though it wouldn't last because other writers would do the Phoenix 5 and the gross stuff with Hope).
    Pretty funny how Morrison provided. Phoenix Ressurrection is completely removed from Morrison's run

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MechaJeanix View Post

The biggest consecuence on his run for her was dying.
    I could live better and enjoy more if she wasn't missing a decade for this.

Instead of wife she became a corpse, I suppose that is better?
    Oh, and her mission was being dead.
    Last edited by phoenixzero23; 11-16-2019 at 09:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixzero23 View Post

her mission was being dead.
    The problem was Morrison didn't ressurrect her on the end of his run as he should if people claim he wanted Jean back. His run had zero interference.

The other problem he didn't had Jean move on from Scott, so instead of being a wife she just became a dead wife

I think we could move this topic to the appreciation thread

So explain why many other dead characters came back to life, when Jean wasn't allowed. At the time, she was the only X-Men who could return with a good explanation : the phoenix. (And by the way, isn't that wqaht they did with phoenix resurrection mini lately?). I remember a Morrison interview after he left, saying that he was wondering how long it would take for Marvel to bring back dead characters during his run.

So if the editors wanted Jean back after Morrison killed her, she would have been back much sooner. Acknowledge it or not.

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

The problem was Morrison didn't ressurrect her on the end of his run as he should if people claim he wanted Jean back. His run had zero interference.

The other problem he didn't had Jean move on from Scott, so instead of being a wife she just became a dead wife

I think we could move this topic to the appreciation thread
    Jott was other of the victims of this not the cause. If Marvel cared about it they wouldn't have killed her or ruined it just before her death.

So explain why many other dead characters came back to life, when Jean wasn't allowed. At the time, she was the only X-Men who could return with a good explanation : the phoenix. (And by the way, isn't that wqaht they did with phoenix resurrection mini lately?)

So if the editors wanted Jean back after Morrison killed her, she would have been back much sooner. Acknowledge it or not.
    No other characters were killed in a such "iconic" fashion by Morrison. and it is not me saying that, it was Mike Carey.

I think Editors played a role, but not much bigger than Morrison. What Carey said proofs my point, Morrison was a bigger role.
    I think there was some agreement behind the scenes. Morrison was still contracted to write x-men when he signed into DC comics.

BANNED

The other problem
    The problem was making Cyclops carry the burden with a stranger just not to taint a woman who has been cheating on him since the 80's

Ok, I adore Seagle and Kelly's run. But you actually can't compare what their Phoenix/Jean with Morrison's Phoenix Jean.
    You can prefer one take than the other, but you actually can't say it was not a big feat. Segale/Kelly were writing a Jean Grey embracing the Phoenix imagery and powers as a part of her identity. Yet, she was still human. Morrison wrote a Jean/Phoenix that both made the "Jean was always Phoenix" and the retcon work. He literally said hat he wanted to make her a real goddess. Again, like it or not (I understand, to each his own taste), but you can't compare.

Ok, I adore Seagle and Kelly's run. But you actually can't compare what their Phoenix/Jean with Morrison's Phoenix Jean.
    You can prefer one take than the other, but you actually can't say it was not a big feat. Segale/Kelly were writing a Jean Grey embracing the Phoenix imagery and powers as a part of her identity. Yet, she was still human. Morrison wrote a Jean/Phoenix that both made the "Jean was always Phoenix" and the retcon work. He literally said hat he wanted to make her a real goddess. Again, like it or not (I understand, to each his own taste), but you can't compare.
    Why not compare? both were working with phoenix, Morrison was hard the unique visionary. I think Seagle and Kelly much better. Too bad they were cut off
    Jean isn't a cold goddess

No other characters were killed in a such "iconic" fashion by Morrison. and it is not me saying that, it was Mike Carey.

I think Editors played a role, but not much bigger than Morrison. What Carey said proofs my point, Morrison was a bigger role.
    I think there was some agreement behind the scenes. Morrison was still contracted to write x-men when he signed into DC comics.
    I adore Morrison's run. But his Jean death wasn't iconic, or heroic. Even the way she died was kind of... bad. Morrison left Marvel, to never come back, after many disagreements with the editors (one of them, was he wasn't allowed to use flashbacks). And when he left, many things he had created was retconed, ignored, or forgotten. So I don't see how the fact he may have been still contracted with Marvel after he left, would change anything. Editors do only what they want to do.

Why not compare? both were working with phoenix, Morrison was hard the unique visionary. I think Seagle and Kelly much better. Too bad they were cut off
    Jean isn't a cold goddess
    Who said "cold" ?
    In HCT, Jean was not cold. She was emotional, and cried when she decided to save the universe again...

I said you can't compare and say you weren't impress by Morrison's take, just because Seagle & Kelly did before. As what they did was absolutely not what Morrison did.
    Last edited by franckd; 11-16-2019 at 09:42 AM.

I got it from a archive from a Jean fans forum. Pretty reliable s it has one decade worth of reactions.

Pretty funny how Morrison provided. Phoenix Ressurrection is completely removed from Morrison's run
    Phoenix Resurrection used the Phoenix to bring Jean back to life as did Phoenix Endsong. Well last time we saw Jean she died as the Phoenix in Morrison's run so in-story , yes Morrison left Jean with a vehicle to return. I don't know how any way I can make my position more clear.

While Seagle and Kelly did give Jean the imagery of the Phoenix back and so did Claremont in revolution it was Morrison that brought back the Phoenix force.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixzero23 View Post

Oh, and her mission was being dead.
    I mean yes it sucked that Jean stayed dead so long but to me that takes nothing away from Morrison's run or his version of Jean Grey. He gave us a great Jean and again gave her so much. Jean should have remained alive after Phoenix Endsong but again editorial wanted her to remain dead (probably because Quesada doesn't like divorce and they wanted Scott with Emma - which shows marrying Scott and Jean was a mistake). They didn't want to break them up so they went with killing Jean.

I re-read Morrison's run so often and it makes me love the X-Men. It makes me feel that exciting feeling I had when I was reading the run as it came out.