View Poll Results: Is Jean Really Ororo's Best Friend?

Voters
117. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

85 72.65%
  • No

32 27.35%
Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    it's called debating and dialogue . weren't you on a debate team?
    #evenmoreconfused
    it's not a debate if your response is "no yukio is her best friend" without providing any information why. or scans where storm says it. So i guess i can see why your #evenmoreconfused.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

BANNED

I'm a fan of both characters, but I always found their friendship to be forced and awkward. Jean seems like she could be the stereotypical well-meaning but clueless white woman on a black sitcom, whereas Ororo could have been the token perfect in every way black friend in a white sitcom that makes all the viewers feel guilty for ever thinking she'd be portrayed otherwise.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    it's not a debate if your response is "no yukio is her best friend" without providing any information why. or scans where storm says it. So i guess i can see why your #evenmoreconfused.
    well the discussion here was never about yukio its about Jean. and you must have missed the response where the poster said yukio was her gf without proving any scans that says it. but I'm glad you get me finally.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Claremont stablished it, so yes.

Most writers don't follow that greatly. But usually they aren't great at following the interpersonal relations of the whole x-continuity anyway.

Regarding those scans that show Jean being borderline racist, I don't think they can be arguments about them not being friends. Every friendship has its bumps and I guess any kind of interacial relationship requires even more effort and understanding. That doesn't mean they weren't true friends.

BANNED

Ah yes, once again, Jeansus helps another wonderful thread to bloom.

For the record, yes, they are canonically best friends and there were many instances where that was shown. Does it sometimes feel like Ororo is closer to people like Psylocke, Yukio, Logan, Rogue and even Kitty? Also yes, at least to some people like me. I really have a hard time associating these two as best friends, same way I have a kind of hard time trying to point out a best friend for Cyclops.

But the answer is yes for the time being.
    Last edited by PrezValentine; 11-10-2019 at 01:48 PM.

Next thread: Jean was controling Cyclops all the time?

Ororo and Jean are best friends, sometimes writers forget this but what is continuity

Yes, Jean is Ororo's best friend. It's had it's ups and downs but yeah.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ermac View Post
    Claremont stablished it, so yes.

Most writers don't follow that greatly. But usually they aren't great at following the interpersonal relations of the whole x-continuity anyway.

Regarding those scans that show Jean being borderline racist, I don't think they can be arguments about them not being friends. Every friendship has its bumps and I guess any kind of interacial relationship requires even more effort and understanding. That doesn't mean they weren't true friends.
    he also established that she had hidden racist fantasies towards ororo.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

BANNED

Jean doesn't much panel time with Storm, or any other non-Scott, non-Emma characters because she spends alot of time dead for Cyclops stories.

Hopefully as time goes on with Jean alive, we'll see more of Jean and Ororo together on-panel making that sisterhood a more present thing.

Storm's best friend is Logan.

Or is it Claremont who has the subconscious issue. One thing the kitty stories and this phoenixJean story have in common is that they were written by the same person.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post
    Jean doesn't much panel time with Storm, or any other non-Scott, non-Emma characters because she spends alot of time dead for Cyclops stories.

Hopefully as time goes on with Jean alive, we'll see more of Jean and Ororo together on-panel making that sisterhood a more present thing.

I really hope we see more of ororo and Jean, Red was good on that

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    I really hope we see more of ororo and Jean, Red was good on that

It is actually funny to complain about Scott because last I checked they were on the same team on Red and Age of X-man and Storm was just kind of there. She was a glorified sidekick and that's all on Jean and the Jean push.

I liked them hugging though.

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    Or is it Claremont who has the subconscious issue. One thing the kitty stories and this phoenixJean story have in common is that they were written by the same person.
    I would say it's more a case of "association of ideas"… Isn't that way creators are making stories?
    The fact that once he wrote it and made it drawn, he didn't think he would cause problems… otherwise he would have changed it. I bet it's been decades he has been talked about this panel…
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Fantastic Member mikelmcknight72's Avatar

Later that very same issue, just before she renders him catatonic, the following exchange happens between Dark Phoenix and Mastermind:

Mastermind: "M-mindtap mechanism--White Queen's design allowed me to project illusions directly into your mind...as well as monitor your thoughts..."
    Dark Phoenix: "Use a telepath to ensnare a telepath--ingenious. This devise enabled you to tailor your illusions to fit my most private fantasies--the repressed, dark side of my soul."

A few points regarding what seems to be yet another re-interpretation of the presented narrative to suit someone's dislike of a character.*

1. The Phoenix was operating using a copy of Jean's mind/personality, but it was still a cosmic entity with a huge level of cosmic power. It was essentially a gestalt entity of phenomenal power trying to confine and limit itself to a human personality. This does not prove that the real Jean Grey, in full possession of her faculties, harbors those particular fantasies in the dark side of her soul. It just proves that an entity use to phenomenal power was denying its own power and identity, and that the resulting gestalt entity had some very dark power dreams that its facsimile of Jean's personality tried to repress.
    2. Who doesn't have dark, fleeting thoughts of which they are not proud? No one. Every person, no matter how good they are, is without them. It is what we do with them. Do we take those thoughts captive and deny them the nurturing that they need to grow and fester, or do we entertain, cherish, and act upon them? Having them says nothing about who a person is. What a person does with them? That's what reveals the quality of person's character.

If you are going to not like a character, that is up to you. At least do so for honest reasons instead of misrepresenting certain panels out of context. Whether it is intentional or not, it comes off as dishonest.

* The other, very common misrepresentation of narrative involves Scott, Maddie, and Jean showing up in New York alive and well after years. Many people on those boards characterize Scott as intentionally walking out on his wife and child with no intention of returning, and that he immediately re-entered a romantic relationship with Jean. That is not what was shown. Scott went to her, visibly shaken, and said he need to go to New York. She told him that he should not come back. When he tried to contact her after pulling himself back together, she had disappeared. When he went searching, all evidence that she existed had been erased. He didn't start a new relationship with Jean until after he believed Maddie to be dead. Some folks around here also like to characterize Maddie as a wonderful wife who was practically a saint. On panel events in Uncanny X-Men showed her emotionally blackmailing him and even assaulting him. She also pulled the aforementioned "if you leave, don't bother coming back" card in X-Factor Vol 1 #1. That issue also depicts that there marriage was not in a good place, and neither one of them was depicted before or then as blameless.