View Poll Results: Steven Spielberg vs James Cameron: Ultimate Blockbuster King.

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Steven Spielberg

19 86.36%
  • James Cameron

1 4.55%
  • Neither: Someone Else

2 9.09%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Steven Spielberg vs James Cameron: Ultimate Blockbuster King.

This is a pro blockbuster thread. I was going to add George Lucas but Lucas only mostly has star wars. Who is the ultimate Hollywood blockbuster King of all time? its a close one. I like both directors but Spielberg edges Cameron out. His work is more versatile. his work ethic is more impressive.

Cameron

Terminator 1
    Terminator 2
    Titanic
    Aliens

Spielberg

ET
    Jurassic Park
    Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind
    Jaws
    Indiana Jones Series.
    Saving Private Ryan

Spielberg also has some art house friendly classics like Schindler's List, Lincoln and The Color Purple.

To me, it's obvious that Spielberg is not only the blockbuster king, but the superior director overall.

First, Spielberg DEFINED the modern-era Hollywood blockbuster and quite frankly, Hollywood storytelling in general. Everyone gets compared to HIM.

Second, Spielberg has more films to his credit, and he has indeed shown more versatility than Cameron. Cameron is a good action director, but I can't see a Schindler's List or Color Purple coming from him.

Third, Spielberg has a more recognizable style -- it's the one every director since Spielberg has tried to copy. The greatest directors like John Ford, Alfred Hitchcock, Billy Wilder, Spielberg, etc. each have a style all his own, but I'm not sure Cameron really gets to that level where I can tell what a "James Cameron" movie is without looking at the credits.

Spielbergian and Hitchcockian are terms movie buffs use to describe their styles and movies that emulate their styles. There really is no "Cameronian" style of directing where such a term has fallen into the movie buff lexicon.

Spielberg by a mile or two.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

What? Really? Spielberg by several billion miles. I wouldn't even think to compare them.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

I think if Cameron were honest with himself even he'd say Spielberg is better than him.

I like Spielberg's work better then Cameron's. I will concede I haven't seen as much from him, but I think Spielberg was always in a class of his own.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Extraordinary Member

At their absolute best I'd say that they are equal. Terminator 2 and Aliens are as good as anything Spielberg has done. But Spielberg operated at his peak for more often than Cameron. Jaws, Raiders of the Lost Arc, Jurassic Park, Saving Private Ryan. Comparing them is like comparing a band which was a one-hit wonder to the Beatles. Cameron's films have not been bad, but nothing he's done for the last 3 decades has come close to Terminator 2, while Spielberg's best could be one of any number of films and a museum could be made just of the great movies he directed.

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    At their absolute best I'd say that they are equal. Terminator 2 and Aliens are as good as anything Spielberg has done. But Spielberg operated at his peak for more often than Cameron. Jaws, Raiders of the Lost Arc, Jurassic Park, Saving Private Ryan. Comparing them is like comparing a band which was a one-hit wonder to the Beatles. Cameron's films have not been bad, but nothing he's done for the last 3 decades has come close to Terminator 2, while Spielberg's best could be one of any number of films and a museum could be made just of the great movies he directed.
    Agreed with a lot of what you said.Spielberg is more talented as a film maker but both men are equal in quality blockbusters when they are at their best.

Astonishing Member

Spielberg...but Cameron is damn good too

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

I actually find James Cameron vastly overrated. I hated Titanic and Avatar.

So for me, it's not even comparable.

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post

Not an Avatar fan, either. I'm really curious how the sequel does, given how little staying power the first one had, though.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post

I I didnt hate Avatar but i havent loved any of his movie. Even Terminator 2 I enjoyed but I'm not a huge fan like some. Didnt care for Titanic at all. Spielberg's wins by a mile with me.

Both are overrated.

BANNED

I'd say Cameron.

Spielberg is the better film-maker and artist but in terms of time and time again revolutionizing the movie industry and twice taking the crown of all-time box-office grosser the Canadian dude has one over Spielberg.

Look at Cameron's stuff...Aliens basically changed how action movies looked and sounded like for several decades and inspired hoards of video-games to this very day. Then The Terminator introduced the biggest action movie star of the planet and one of the biggest science fiction stories of all time, Terminator 2 did that all over again. For Titanic, Cameron introduced the biggest love story of all time and made two unknowns into decade defining movie stars while Leonardo DiCaprio became the biggest movie star since the classic era.

Then Avatar arrived and it started a revolution in 3D Cinema and popularized it across the world single-handedly.

Spielberg has been influential in terms of content and style, and definitely successful and versatile (and prolific) but he's never had that consistent track record of capturing lightning in the bottle not once not twice but many times as Cameron has.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    I'd say Cameron.

Spielberg is the better film-maker and artist but in terms of time and time again revolutionizing the movie industry and twice taking the crown of all-time box-office grosser the Canadian dude has one over Spielberg.

Look at Cameron's stuff...Aliens basically changed how action movies looked and sounded like for several decades and inspired hoards of video-games to this very day. Then The Terminator introduced the biggest action movie star of the planet and one of the biggest science fiction stories of all time, Terminator 2 did that all over again. For Titanic, Cameron introduced the biggest love story of all time and made two unknowns into decade defining movie stars while Leonardo DiCaprio became the biggest movie star since the classic era.

Then Avatar arrived and it started a revolution in 3D Cinema and popularized it across the world single-handedly.

Spielberg has been influential in terms of content and style, and definitely successful and versatile (and prolific) but he's never had that consistent track record of capturing lightning in the bottle not once not twice but many times as Cameron has.
    Nearly all of that though is down to him being a tech king, not a particularly amazing director.

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    Nearly all of that though is down to him being a tech king, not a particularly amazing director.
    He is an amazing blockbuster director, which is what the thread is about.