Question Comics Gate begins to implode?

The "Revolution" eats its own? Interesting video about the latest Comics Gate drama. Be advised the guy uses a lot of profanity -

Edit: Video link deleted. Why give a CGer any sort of platform? - Matt
    Last edited by Matt; 11-17-2019 at 12:36 AM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Be advised this guy is a comicsgater, and giving him views is not advised.

If you do watch the video, watch it private mode or Youtube will keep recommending you more comicsgate videos.

Ultimate Member

In before the lock!

Thing is, they were starting to turn against each other a while back. And a lot of it was yeah about Ethan and other folks associated with CG who were starting to put their own indie comics and then controversy about who is or is not the "leader" of CG. When the Carol Danvers Capt Marvel movie came out, they got a new lease on life, but now a lot of those folks don't know what to rage against so it's all about twitter drama.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    In before the lock!

Thing is, they were starting to turn against each other a while back. And a lot of it was yeah about Ethan and other folks associated with CG who were starting to put their own indie comics and then controversy about who is or is not the "leader" of CG. When the Carol Danvers Capt Marvel movie came out, they got a new lease on life, but now a lot of those folks don't know what to rage against so it's all about twitter drama.
    True, I love how the guy in the video claims he is angry only with Ethan, and Ethan's followers, yet he also gives a backhanded slap to that Zack guy (who is suing Mark Waid for something or other); paraphrasing (for those who might not want to give the vid a hit) "child support man" (insinuating Zack doesn't always pay for his kids). The infighting and petty jealousies are strong with these guys, lol.
    Last edited by Celgress; 11-10-2019 at 06:24 PM.

That's the long-term trouble for these movements. They are dependant on having enemies to point to that they can gain success against. But once they get an effective rap against the current leadership (like the Sad and Rabid Puppies got in 2015 from sf fandom) they tend to turn against themselves.

It's one of the ways in which the various *gaters are similar to real-world fascists.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    That's the long-term trouble for these movements. They are dependant on having enemies to point to that they can gain success against. But once they get an effective rap against the current leadership (like the Sad and Rabid Puppies got in 2015 from sf fandom) they tend to turn against themselves.

It's one of the ways in which the various *gaters are similar to real-world fascists.
    What is/was the SF Fandom? I've never heard of this abbreviation before and am curious.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    What is/was the SF Fandom? I've never heard of this abbreviation before and am curious.
    SF Fandom is Science Fiction Fandom. The Sad Puppies were a sort of a Gamergate/Comicsgate type group in the science fiction community. It's over simplifying things a lot, but for the sake of this conversation it's a close enuff comparison.

What ed2962 said. Science fiction fandom is sort of the grandmother of all modern fandoms. Creaky, but still reasonably vital and around. People like Julie Schwarz, Isaac Asimov, Alfred Bester, and Donald Wollheim started their careers there.

Stuff sf fandom are mostly known for today are the Worldcons and the Hugo awards.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Ultimate Member

Honestly, I didn't even know Comicsgate was still a thing.

Once most people came to understand that it was based on lies and bigotry, it pretty much fell apart.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Honestly, I didn't even know Comicsgate was still a thing.

Once most people came to understand that it was based on lies and bigotry, it pretty much fell apart.
    There's actually a number of guys whose channels are still doing well, although I'd say a good chunk of the rank and file have bailed on "the movement." The initial rallying cry was about how the old Marvel heroes were replaced with "politically correct" substitutes, but now that the old heroes are back, they've lost half of their talking points. The other main thing was complaining about "SWJ" politics ruining everything, but most guys were doing the same one note rants and even you agree, it gets boring after awhile.

I will say there are some honest actors who were anti-"SJW Marvel" and are in fact talking more about indie comics or whatever, but many ( including Justsomeguy) need to keep the drama and "outrage" going in order to get clicks. Hence, reporting on every little thing some creator has said on Twitter and "reviewing" comics they know they aren't going to like.

Ultimate Member

I would recommend some of the "Why Are You So Angry?" videos from Innuendo Studios. They're mostly an analysis of Gamergate and why it got so big into toady's political climate ( and the alt lite). But I think you can draw some parallels with some of the more extreme segments of comics fandom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6TrKkkVEhs
    Last edited by ed2962; 11-12-2019 at 08:31 AM.

Here's hoping.

Mighty Member

To quote Darth Traya, "to be united by hatred is a fragile alliance at best"

I’m embarrassed to admit I actually
    Watched a few of there rants
    And it was not until one started
    Promoting there own work for
    Sale that I no longer found it
    Funny or even a little interesting
    And stopped watching.
    Last edited by My Two Cents; 11-16-2019 at 06:40 PM.

Thread locked.
    In case you missed the memo, the CBR Forums are not here to give Comicsgate any sort of voice or platform.
    Their history of ignorance, harassment and general douchebaggery means they are simply not worthy.
    "Let me guess. My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie!"
    @Matt_of_Geek
    Now writing at The Atomic Junk Shop

CBR Community Standards and Rules