Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    465

    Default CENSORED Marvel art/stories?

    (..well maybe not so much censored as rejected by editors/"No can do")

    Know any examples? Here's some Ive seen or heard about :

    Shatterstar stabs Juggernaut in the eye (Liefield X-force/Mcfarlane Spidey crossover)

    "The K#### known as Sabretooth" . Dunno how the anti-semitic slur got there but the issue was withdrawn but not without a few copies circulating...

    Princess Diana as a member of Mike Allred's Xforce

    Others?

  2. #2
    FF purist/snob CaptCleghorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    6,261

    Default

    A page in a SHIELD story by Jim Steranko had some panels redone to have less of an implication that Nick and the Countess were in bed together.

    https://www.cbr.com/comic-book-legends-revealed-219/

  3. #3
    Incredible Member tbaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    668

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    A page in a SHIELD story by Jim Steranko had some panels redone to have less of an implication that Nick and the Countess were in bed together.

    https://www.cbr.com/comic-book-legends-revealed-219/
    I remember the one where The phone off the hook was too suggestive and the comics code authority said no go one that I thought that was kinda silly.
    Last edited by tbaron; 11-10-2019 at 04:36 PM.
    Favorite teams. Avengers, West Coast Avengers, Justice Society of America, Legion of Superheroes.

  4. #4
    Mighty Member mugiwara's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,971

    Default

    Some Frank Cho covers got censored.

    He also made a Shanna the She Devil mini that was intended to be published in MAX. With a lot of blood and boobs.
    But Marvel decided to publish it as a SFW comics, so they kept the gore but hid the Dirty Pillows.
    Bringing back the old, killing the young: that's the Marvel way

  5. #5
    Incredible Member tbaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    668

    Default

    Dont the Tomb of Dracula Trades have the nudity covered up with shirts and such?
    Favorite teams. Avengers, West Coast Avengers, Justice Society of America, Legion of Superheroes.

  6. #6
    Mighty Member Electricmastro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    1,468

    Default

    Apparently, the topless shots of Colleen and Misty from Deadly Hands of Kung Fu #32 (1977) were censored when re-released later on: http://www.supermegamonkey.net/chron...u_3233_d.shtml

    "Chris's plot called for Colleen and Misty to move from point 'A' to point 'B', fighting a $@%!load of bad guys along the way. My thought was, 'When a male protagonist was in that situation, nine times out of ten, he would end up with the shirt ripped off of his back. It would be very sexist of me to assume that a woman wouldn't fight as hard or be in a less precarious situation so...' the shirts were ripped off of their backs. Besides, the female form is enjoyable to look at and draw." - Marshall Rogers (artist)

  7. #7
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    465

    Default

    Some interesting NON-censorship- there was a free promo comic of Warren Ellis's Astonishing X-men featuring a script excerpt : the letters were small but you could make out "###ing big spaceship" minus the ### !

    Then there's the X-men Gold #1 scandal : peter's shirt with anti-christain and jewish Quran reference number, Kitty Pryde outside a "JEWellery" store

  8. #8
    Mighty Member mugiwara's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,971

    Default

    The super-hero bringing the zombie plague in Marvel Zombie was originally not Sentry, but a dark haired man with a blue costume and a red cape.
    Bringing back the old, killing the young: that's the Marvel way

  9. #9
    FF purist/snob CaptCleghorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    6,261

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tbaron View Post
    Dont the Tomb of Dracula Trades have the nudity covered up with shirts and such?
    I haven't seen them, but IIRC, the original Tomb of Dracula comics were code approved. If something was covered up for reprints, it must have slipped through editing when published.

  10. #10
    Ultimate Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    15,221

    Default

    Cigarettes erased from art after Quesada's smoking ban. The ones that stick out to me are Ultimate Gwen Stacy's first appearance and a scene in Grant Morrison's X-Men run drawn by Marc Silvestri...Logan is gesturing and lit in a way that suggests that he's lighting a cigar but there's nothing in his hand.

  11. #11
    Ultimate Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    15,221

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyO'Brien View Post
    (..well maybe not so much censored as rejected by editors/"No can do")

    Know any examples? Here's some Ive seen or heard about :

    Shatterstar stabs Juggernaut in the eye (Liefield X-force/Mcfarlane Spidey crossover)

    "The K#### known as Sabretooth" . Dunno how the anti-semitic slur got there but the issue was withdrawn but not without a few copies circulating...

    Princess Diana as a member of Mike Allred's Xforce

    Others?

    The story I read in Wizard was that the letterer turned in a sloppy word balloon. "K*k* was supposed to be "killer." Someone in the production dept misread it while cleaning up the art.

  12. #12
    Ultimate Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    15,221

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    I haven't seen them, but IIRC, the original Tomb of Dracula comics were code approved. If something was covered up for reprints, it must have slipped through editing when published.
    The were two versions of Tomb of Dracula, the code version and a short lived black and white magazine which had nudity and more blood in it. The Marvel Essential Tomb of Dracula reprinted both but censored the topless scenes that were in the b+w magazine.

  13. #13
    FF purist/snob CaptCleghorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    6,261

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    The were two versions of Tomb of Dracula, the code version and a short lived black and white magazine which had nudity and more blood in it. The Marvel Essential Tomb of Dracula reprinted both but censored the topless scenes that were in the b+w magazine.
    Ah, I stand corrected. Thank you for the information.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •