Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Endgame at the Oscars?

So Disney wants Oscar gold and is sending Endgame to do the job...but realistically what are its chances? Personally I feel Joker has a better chance than Endgame, now if it was Infinity War I would be more confident but not Endgame. Heck they are trying to get Brie Larson to be nominated and i ask why? She is in the film for like ten to fifteen minutes at least so why should she even be considered. I think Disney is overreaching this time with this and lost their chance by not taking advantage of IW.

Quote Originally Posted by Hulkout42 View Post
    So Disney wants Oscar gold and is sending Endgame to do the job...but realistically what are its chances? Personally I feel Joker has a better chance than Endgame, now if it was Infinity War I would be more confident but not Endgame. Heck they are trying to get Brie Larson to be nominated and i ask why? She is in the film for like ten to fifteen minutes at least so why should she even be considered. I think Disney is overreaching this time with this and lost their chance by not taking advantage of IW.
    There is kind off another thread for this topic. I made one.
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...ure-nomination

Yeah, you are right. Joker has a better chance. I don't think its any question to anyone that understands film making or know the usual oscar requirements.

I also think the comic movie backlash could hurt both Joker and Endgame, although Joker is so far removed from the comics 2019 movies.
    Last edited by Beaddle; 11-11-2019 at 03:19 AM.

People pushed for RDJ to get a Oscar consideration and Disney decided if they were gonna do that they might aswell throw everyone out there to be fair. Paul Rudd, Don Cheadle everyone. RDJ is the only I see as having a chance for a Nomination. And while a 1,000,000 to 1 shot. I can see a outside chance that maybe as a sign of good will for the chatacter he played for 10years That he could win. But unlikely but a Nomination I can see happening. RDJ is a respected actor so I can see the academy potentionaly giving him the nom. But yea hes the only one with a shot and that shot is a very long one.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    People pushed for RDJ to get a Oscar consideration and Disney decided if they were gonna do that they might aswell throw everyone out there to be fair. Paul Rudd, Don Cheadle everyone. RDJ is the only I see as having a chance for a Nomination. And while a 1,000,000 to 1 shot. I can see a outside chance that maybe as a sign of good will for the chatacter he played for 10years That he could win. But unlikely but a Nomination I can see happening. RDJ is a respected actor so I can see the academy potentionaly giving him the nom. But yea hes the only one with a shot and that shot is a very long one.
    I don't think people pushed for RDJ outside the mcu bubble. Disney wanted to push for him but people said he did nothing that was oscar material. the media may have hyped RDJ, although not as much as they did with Michael B Jordan. RDJ did nothing in the film that was Oscar worthy.

Tony Stark was not depressed, he is not a psychopath, he is not struggling with his sexuality, he does not have dementia, he is not dramatic, he is not striving for survival. RDJ is not playing a real person in a biopic, He is not on some kind of boxing journey like rocky or raging bull. these are the usual requirements for Oscar Best actor acting. RDJ played an action star in Endgame , which is for the most part a light weight movie.

I would say in truth that RDJ had a good chance to get an Oscar nomination playing Iron Man had Disney just adapted the Demon in the bottle storyline in his solo Iron Man films. Disney did RDJ dirty by not utilizing the character of Iron Man. this is the major difference between RDJ and Hugh Jackman or Partick Stewart playing comic characters or what DC has now achieved with the Joker with Heath Ledger and Phoenix.
    Last edited by Beaddle; 11-11-2019 at 03:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    I don't think people pushed for RDJ outside the mcu bubble. Disney wanted to push for him but people said he did nothing that was oscar material. the media may have hyped RDJ, although not as much as they did with Michael B Jordan. RDJ did nothing in the film that was Oscar worthy.

Tony Stark was not depressed, he is not a psychopath, he is not struggling with his sexuality, he does not have dementia, he is not dramatic, he is not striving for survival. RDJ is not playing a real person in a biopic, He is not on some kind of boxing journey like rocky or raging bull. these are the usual requirements for Oscar Best actor acting. RDJ played an action star in Endgame , which is for the most part a light weight movie.

I would say in truth that RDJ had a good chance to get an Oscar nomination playing Iron Man had Disney just adapted the Demon in the bottom storyline in his solo Iron Man films.. Disney did RDJ dirty by not utilizing the character of Iron Man. this is the major difference between RDJ and Hugh Jackman or Partick Stewart playing comic characters or what DC has now achieved with the Joker with Heath Ledger and Phoenix.
    I love your constant speaking for other people. So endearing

Your so inconsistent that I'm genuinely amazed. RDJ played a character for 10 years that is now arguably one the most recognizable characters to grace the screen. And In his final outing he delivered a performance that left people sobbing in the theaters. Keep projecting your feelings onto other people though if it makes you feel better. Pretend the majority of people were unimpressed just because you werent. I'm sure this is gonna be another thread that ends up derailed and turns into verbal diarrhea of Marvel bashing and defending. Goodluck

I love your constant speaking for other people. So endearing

In fairness, you were the person that said people. I only responded by saying what people I came across reactions were because when people talk about the oscars, Many know the thick box checks even if not all of us agree with it including me.

Your so inconsistent that I'm genuinely amazed. RDJ played a character for 10 years that is now arguably one the most recognizable characters to grace the screen. And In his final outing he delivered a performance that left people sobbing in the theaters.
    I am not inconsistent. this is not about rdj as a recognisable character. this is about if his role in endgame is Oscar worthy. I bet people know the name Tony stark more than Ken Miles but Christian Bale is a lock for best actor or supporting actor in Ford vs Ferrari than RDJ ever will be.

Keep projecting your feelings onto other people though if it makes you feel better. Pretend the majority of people were unimpressed just because you werent. I'm sure this is gonna be another thread that ends up derailed and turns into verbal diarrhea of Marvel bashing and defending. Goodluck
    I am focused on the thread by talking about what the oscars likes. I even took my time to list it the usual requirement for Oscar acting noms. Not just list it but mention the iron man comic story that would have been a lock for RDJ to get an Oscar. That is giving an insight to the oscars, not derailing.

The people choice awards was yesterday,RDJ and Endgame is a good fit that, Endgame won for best film. The Oscars are not the people's choice awards, there is a different requirement for oscars.
    Last edited by Beaddle; 11-11-2019 at 03:17 AM.

Truth is if nominated I think RDJ has a good chance of winning an Oscar Phoenix has won RDJ while nominated 3 times hasn't the Oscars have a long history of giving actors Oscars not for the films they should had won for but more of "well they've earned it". I loved him in Endgame so not knocking Endgame but his Chaplin performance deserved one more.

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

A lot of studios promote a lot of movies and performances that are long shots. Sometimes it's in the contracts, other times it's just to make the cast and creators feel good and for relationship-building. I don't think Endgame will show up anywhere but effects, sound, etc. However, you don't know if you don't try and it's not like Disney doesn't have the money.

Astonishing Member

Endgame absolutely deserves a "Best Picture" nomination.

It was something of a scale that had never been done before and changed cinema, possibly forever. Oscars rewarded Return of the King for similar reasons, I think Endgame deserves a nomination.

As for RDJ, I think he's going to be going up against a ridiculously competitive field and might not get a nod, but I wouldn't have any problem with it if he was nominated. (I would have given one to Patrick Stewart for Logan as well)

Endgame is one of those feel good types of movies with plenty of flaws. I think Endgame was a resounding success as the final chapter of the Infinity Saga and financially, it is on a level of it's own.

Is it Academy Awards worthy? I personally don't think so.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Arfguy View Post
    Endgame is one of those feel good types of movies with plenty of flaws. I think Endgame was a resounding success as the final chapter of the Infinity Saga and financially, it is on a level of it's own.

Is it Academy Awards worthy? I personally don't think so.

Remove the Thor storyline

Better make up for Thanos for a live action film, perhaps let him appear more like a LOTR Villian

Remove the final CGI battle.

Make it a more mature grounded comic film.

Rewrite the entire time travel plot.

Remove many of the Jokes

Change the cinematography

Change the visual effects.

Introduce many major human themes that will take up most of the plot

Make Endgame more of a drama set in a realistic world than an action adventure film set in a fantastical world.

Do all of this and Endgame would be a best picture contender for a high budget comic movie.
    Last edited by Beaddle; 11-11-2019 at 01:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    Remove the Thor storyline

Better make up for Thanos for a live action film, perhaps let him appear more like a LOTR Villian

Remove the final CGI battle.

Make it a more mature grounded comic film.

Rewrite the entire time travel plot.

Remove many of the Jokes

Change the cinematography

Change the visual effects.

Introduce many major human themes that will take up most of the plot

Make Endgame more of a drama set in a realistic world than an action adventure film set in a fantastical world.

Do all of this and Endgame would be a best picture contender for a high budget comic movie.
    That' is funny. You cry about how Marvel didnt adapt certain story faithfully and that " Real MARVEL comics fans " Want this or that. Then you say crap like this. Your so inconsistent, you basically want Comicbook movies that are nothing like the Comicbook. You want everything to Be like the Joker which is almost completely divorced form the actual comics. Grounded has no place in the MCU. If you want Costumeless,Joyless Xmen movies that are "Grounded"Just go beg syfy to bring Alphas back, because that's not Xmen or Most Marvel characters. And Thanos was 100% CGI there was no Make up and Marvel will probaly snag another VFX Oscar Nom based mostly off Thanos. The YouTube Channel Corridor have praised Thanos CGI on more then one occasion during their "VFX artists react" videos. There are plenty of Human themes in Endgame already. If you didn't like them I'm sorry you feel that way.

All of this is pointless becuase Black Panther proved your opinion doenst always line up with the oscar voters anyway. Its was nominated for 6 Oscar's including Best picture and Won 3 Oscars. So maybe stop speaking for them and speak for yourself.

Plenty of stuff I didnt like gets Oscar Noms or even Wins. But I've never pretended I speak for the Oscar's. Which i dont know why your even talking about since you said they are a joke and lost all credability after last years Oscars. But here we are again
    Last edited by Midvillian1322; 11-11-2019 at 04:01 PM.

That' is funny. You cry about how Marvel didnt adapt certain story faithfully and that " Real MARVEL comics fans " Want this or that. Then you say crap like this. Your so inconsistent, you basically want Comicbook movies that are nothing like the Comicbook. You want everything to Be like the Joker which is almost completely divorced form the actual comics.

I don't want everything to be like Joker, Joker is joker. marvel comics is more grounded than we see. Stan Lee said so.
    If you want Costumeless,Joyless Xmen movies that are "Grounded"Just go beg syfy to bring Alphas back, because that's not Xmen or Most Marvel characters.
    Actually that is xmen characters. also you are mistaking complex adult stories for joyless. Claremont said xmen is not about costumes but is about characters dramtics. I also know some of the xmen movies would have stood a far better chance than endgame for best picture.

And Thanos was 100% CGI there was no Make up and Marvel will probaly snag another VFX Oscar Nom based mostly off Thanos. The YouTube Channel Corridor have praised Thanos CGI on more then one occasion during their "VFX artists react" videos
    I will make an easy prediction that Brad Pitt's AD Astra would win for VFX. Oscars love more grounded practical effects than flat out cgi where the characters look very animated. I have seen some of the space shorts in Ad Astra and its no competition. I think Ad Astra is a lock for VFX unless star wars 9 does what George Lucas wanted Disney to do all along. do something groundbreaking with vfx.

All of this is pointless becuase Black Panther proved your opinion doesn't always line up with the oscar voters anyway. Its was nominated for 6 Oscar's including Best picture and Won 3 Oscars. So maybe stop speaking for them and speak for yourself.
    I hardly put black panther in any real debate about oscars because black panther had an external political angle to it.

Plenty of stuff I didnt like gets Oscar Noms or even Wins. But I've never pretended I speak for the Oscar's. Which i dont know why your even talking about since you said they are a joke and lost all credability after last years Oscars. But here we are again
    its not about speaking for the oscars, its about knowing what they like after watching their past awards. its not that hard to figure out in their 90 years history or even in the last 22 years when titanic won best picture and was the highest grossing movie of all time. Avatar was never going to win best picture because the screenplay was not good enough. I knew this before the winners were announced in 2010.

Endgame does not meet many of what we see in what it takes to win Oscars in major categories like writing, acting or directing. Endgame is more MTV awards but like others have said, Disney has the money to spend.
    Last edited by Beaddle; 11-12-2019 at 08:13 PM.

Why is that you pick out Brie Larson when this is the list they submitted for consideration

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
    Robert Downey Jr.
    Chris Evans
    Mark Ruffalo
    Chris Hemsworth
    Jeremy Renner
    Josh Brolin
    Paul Rudd
    Don Cheadle

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
    Scarlett Johansson
    Gwyneth Paltrow
    Zoe Saldana
    Karen Gillan
    Brie Larson

They pretty much put everyone who had decent amount of time in the movie for consideration basically they are just covering all bases. No big deal.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Endgame is absolutely deserving of an Oscar nomination, at least for Best Picture. It certainly deserves it more than Joker does.

It all depends on what comes out during äwards seasons" though. It could easily get a bunch of nominations (outside even of the technical awards) or absolutely none.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.