Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

I would like it to get one but I'm not too sure it will.

Endgame's best chance at a Best Picture Oscar is if it's considered as the culmination of 10 years of effort, the same way how Return of the King isn't the best of the Lord of the Rings movies, but won in acknowledgement of the entire trilogy. That would be great.

The acting nominees that Disney put up, not so much. It's not unheard of for an actor with just a few minutes of screen time to get a nomination (like Marlon Brando), but many of the actors listed show up for the sake of exposition rather than really fleshing it out. RDJ has the best chance because he has the most visibility, but putting in all those names (I love Don Cheadle, but the amount of minutes he got in Endgame can be counted on one hand) dilutes those chances.

BANNED

I don’t see any nominations, except for something like visual effects

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    Endgame's best chance at a Best Picture Oscar is if it's considered as the culmination of 10 years of effort, the same way how Return of the King isn't the best of the Lord of the Rings movies, but won in acknowledgement of the entire trilogy. That would be great.

The acting nominees that Disney put up, not so much. It's not unheard of for an actor with just a few minutes of screen time to get a nomination (like Marlon Brando), but many of the actors listed show up for the sake of exposition rather than really fleshing it out. RDJ has the best chance because he has the most visibility, but putting in all those names (I love Don Cheadle, but the amount of minutes he got in Endgame can be counted on one hand) dilutes those chances.
    Lord of the rings built up nicely. fellowship and two towers were nominated for best picture before return of the king won. No prior avengers movie has been nominated for best picture, so avengers has no build up.

Lord of the rings was also very Oscar friendly. its a High fantasy mediaeval drama that was artistic written and directed. Endgame is not like this.

the only chance endgame has of getting nominated if for Disney to flex their power muscles and pay for a spot among the 7-10 nominations.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    Lord of the rings built up nicely. fellowship and two towers were nominated for best picture before return of the king won. No prior avengers movie has been nominated for best picture, so avengers has no build up.
    No buildup? At all? Umm...

Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    No buildup? At all? Umm...

Endgame has no build up for oscars. LOTR did. Endgame's build up is more of a service to their cinematic stuff, the end of an mcu era. it has nothing to do with the academy. this kind of build up is for mtv and teen choice type of awards.

More importantly build up is not a requirement for oscars, joker has a better chance because joker is more artistic and character driven.
    Last edited by Beaddle; 11-12-2019 at 08:34 PM.

Endgame has no build up for oscars. LOTR did. Endgame's build up is more of a service to their cinematic stuff, the end of an mcu era. it has nothing to do with the academy. this kind of build up is for mtv and teen choice type of awards.

More importantly build up is not a requirement for oscars, joker has a better chance because joker is more artistic and character driven.
    I see. Rather, I don't see, but whatever.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

I don't think people pushed for RDJ outside the mcu bubble. Disney wanted to push for him but people said he did nothing that was oscar material. the media may have hyped RDJ, although not as much as they did with Michael B Jordan. RDJ did nothing in the film that was Oscar worthy.

Tony Stark was not depressed, he is not a psychopath, he is not struggling with his sexuality, he does not have dementia, he is not dramatic, he is not striving for survival. RDJ is not playing a real person in a biopic, He is not on some kind of boxing journey like rocky or raging bull. these are the usual requirements for Oscar Best actor acting. RDJ played an action star in Endgame , which is for the most part a light weight movie.

I would say in truth that RDJ had a good chance to get an Oscar nomination playing Iron Man had Disney just adapted the Demon in the bottle storyline in his solo Iron Man films. Disney did RDJ dirty by not utilizing the character of Iron Man. this is the major difference between RDJ and Hugh Jackman or Partick Stewart playing comic characters or what DC has now achieved with the Joker with Heath Ledger and Phoenix.
    It almost sounds like: he doesn't follow the decontructionist formula so there's no chance of a nomination. Joker is far more likely to get nominated because it much more conveys the mood that gets Oscar nominations.

While I do not defend Disney or the MCU pushing for Oscar nominations for personal gain, I do applaud the idea that Hollywood might conceivably get back to a tradition where popular movies win Oscars. However, I think "Joker" has a chance to win and a very good chance of being nominated.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    It almost sounds like: he doesn't follow the decontructionist formula so there's no chance of a nomination. Joker is far more likely to get nominated because it much more conveys the mood that gets Oscar nominations.
    Its exactly what I said, thank you for the back up because some mcu fans are quick to imply I am hating. the Oscar formula is not even fair and is quite flawed but it is how they operate, it is what works for them and to an extent, I don't blame them because everything I mentioned is all about making your movie have more dramatic weight, part of the reason I never liked mcu light heartedness.

light hearted movies never win or are nominated for best picture, this is the reason only about 7% of best picture nominees are comedies and even in that 7% is dark comedy like Silver Linings Playbook or those woody allen movies where humour is used metaphorically to shed light on cynical issues.

While I do not defend Disney or the MCU pushing for Oscar nominations for personal gain, I do applaud the idea that Hollywood might conceivably get back to a tradition where popular movies win Oscars. However, I think "Joker" has a chance to win and a very good chance of being nominated.
    I think many out here are just tired of Disney at this point and their power hungriness.

I do support popular movies getting nominated but that won't apply to endgame. endgame is too tired to the mcu manufactured formula. popular movies still needs to meet the artistic requirement of smaller films. Oscars prefer more grounded comic movies. Logan/TDK is factual proof of it. who knows in another world, where marvel movies actually told marvel stories that not afraid to push boundaries like Joker and their comics do with more creative freedom, marvel movies should be getting Oscar nominations in serious categories.
    Last edited by Beaddle; 11-12-2019 at 11:32 PM.