Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
Yes but it was Byrne where the focus shifted from “Superman DISGUISED as Clark Kent” to “Clark is who I am, Superman is what I can do” in an effort to make him more of a Marvel character and more “relatable”. That’s not me taking shots at Post Crisis, that’s just simple fact. The idealization of the rural lifestyle and Smallville as a beacon of good old-fashioned American values in contrast to the urban cesspools of Metropolis is something baked into the Donner films (which I like) and the Byrne take which was the foundation for Post Crisis Superman (which I’m far more negative about even if I think Byrne did some good and had some great ideas). Pre-Crisis Superman would NEVER go choose to go be a farmer over being Superman, in stark contrast to Post Crisis Superman who holds a lot of nostalgia for his childhood life and upbringing.

Pre-Crisis Smallville has freaking mountains and other bat**** insane stuff that make it clear this is no normal small town even before Superman shows up. The Smallville TV show is the closest we’re ever likely to get to that set up lmao!

And we’ve seen those titles used a lot in ways that don’t make any sense. Given Clark’s power levels and experience it’s flat out idiotic to portray him as naive which is why most writers try to stay away from that. He uses his superhearing and vision to stop crimes which means logically he can hear all the robberies and rapes and all the other nasty stuff happening around the world. For him to be shocked by man’s inhumanity is just pure laziness on the writer’s part. It’s far more interesting when you explore how a man who can hear all that still not lose his faith in humanity.
I think, byrne just removed the fake persona. Clark never played up the part as a comedy character. golden age clark kent is superman. Superman was the name given to the vigilante. It might not even be a term of endearment.
As for being a farmer, when you think about it. Silverage guy was really super intelligent. He would feel shackled in Smallville. Postcrisis guy isn't supposed to be superintelligent(except for when morrison writes him) . So, he would never get that. Ofcourse he would love deep connection with his pa's work as well as his own writing job. I think killing of both parents of for the silverage guy was a wrong decision. Morrison had the right idea keeping ma alive. I am not a fan of crazed loner characterisation for silverage guy. For the goldenage guy it fits. That guy wasn't really supposed to be raised in the heartlands of america in a farm. Silverage guy wasn't really a vigilante The goldenage guy was. Dead parents thing was something that silverage guy got due to transition from goldenage to silverage rather than a clean reboot.it is'nt something that was planned.For me, all three of them have their strengths and weaknesses. They appeal to different audiences. You can't do something like superman for all seasons with the silverage guy because that wouldn't be in character for that guy.