All-New Member

Default comics for girls

Please recommend some comics for girls. My niece is 13 years old, she is fond of computer games, could really use some ideas for a Christmas present. I really want her to like it, but I don’t know at all what teens are about these days. Would Wonder Woman be suitable in terms of comics for girls? or is it something else?
    Last edited by antanave; 01-17-2020 at 09:16 AM.

As far as Wonder Woman comics goes, I think The Legend of Wonder Woman by De Liz and Dillon is your best bet. The other (and earlier) The Legend of Wonder Woman by Busiek and Robbins might be a bit dated and possibly feel childish, but would probably also work well if you got it by mistake.

If you know she has seen and liked the movie, then you can probably pick up some other volume, here I'd probably go for Rucka's Rebirth run.

As for other comics, all of DC's Ink line (or what used to be the Ink line) should be suitable, though Under the Moon (Catwoman) is a tad dark in its themes. I wouldn't hesitate to give it to my 13-year-old daughter myself, but you know your niece best.
    Last edited by kjn; 12-07-2019 at 12:44 PM.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Try Paper Girls by Brian Vaughan and Cliff Chiang...

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Legend of Wonder Woman by De Liz was very popular.

As for non-Wonder Woman, there's Gotham Academy, it's basically what if Gotham has a Hogwarts, and the main characters are 14-16-year-old girls.

A lot of girls I know love Super Sons starring Superboy and Robin because they're adorable and have fun dynamics.

The 90s Cassandra Cain Batgirl series is a darker and more violent comic, starring a teen girl trained as an assassin trying to escape that life and become more normal... well, as normal a superhero can be, by joining the Batman family, but she's a cool character a lot of people love. The character is featured in the Birds of Prey trailer, though in a different role.

I 100% agree with The Legend of Wonder Woman by De Liz. It's perfect for a young or teenage girl.

All-New Member

Thank you guys, you really helped me out !!
    Last edited by antanave; 01-17-2020 at 09:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Legend of Wonder Woman by De Liz was very popular.

As for non-Wonder Woman, there's Gotham Academy, it's basically what if Gotham has a Hogwarts, and the main characters are 14-16-year-old girls.

A lot of girls I know love Super Sons starring Superboy and Robin because they're adorable and have fun dynamics.

The 90s Cassandra Cain Batgirl series is a darker and more violent comic, starring a teen girl trained as an assassin trying to escape that life and become more normal... well, as normal a superhero can be, by joining the Batman family, but she's a cool character a lot of people love. The character is featured in the Birds of Prey trailer, though in a different role.
    If you want a lighter toned Batgirl, then the Stephanie Brown run or Barbara Gordon's Burnside era are the best bets.

Gotham Academy was a good suggestion, as is Super Sons. What about Young Justice? The original run. Cassie Sandsmark, the second Wonder Girl, joins a few issues after it starts (alongside two other girls, Arrowette and the mysterious Secret) and is present throughout the rest of the series.

As for non-DC books, there's Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, Ms. Marvel, Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur, Unstoppable Wasp, Unbelievable Gwenpool, and Ironheart, all from Marvel, and maybe Lumberjanes from Boom Studios? They have a crossover with Gotham Academy at one point.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 12-17-2019 at 06:52 AM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman