Page 224 of 371 FirstFirst ... 124174214220221222223224225226227228234274324 ... LastLast
Results 3,346 to 3,360 of 5560

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Dash was nearby the whole time, listening, "And if she had stepped in, what then? Do you truly wish for a universe where those with power take care of you like a child? Would that not have made her more like Auroc? Enslaving all of us by becoming dependent on her to solve all of our problems? Asha'rah tried something like that and look where it got her. An yeah, Meagan and Cyanna had both talked ot her about it once before, an ah learned it from them."
    "Asha'rah? Really? I think you're being rather hyperbolic" Zaofan replied calmly. "But I don't know Dash, you tell me. You were dependent on her to solve your problems. How far did that take you?"

"And I get the feeling this wasn't exactly out of the goodness of her heart, was it? The first time I met Meagan, she was on Earth. That's quite a distance from Chroma where her heart was."

In the end, they happened to chance by, and it was Erosa who fired the final shot. Assuredly it must have been peaceful, if busy lately. Wonder what Meagan's doing now it's been far too long.

"I don't know why you would sign your friend up for something like this, Dash. You said it yourself, why are you dependent on her, someone who won't show up when asked, when you yourself could help Praxat grow?"

And with that, he turned back to the actual core of the matter. Praxat was being stalked by someone who seemed to be doing this for the ego of it.

"I'm not going to lie to you, Praxat. If even Althena doesn't know about Zawk and Vion, then they're probably not going to come back. But training yourself to fit into a mould of something that doesn't exist...that's not going to help you improve, that's just a limitation."

"Heck you're already on the right path. Wonder! Doubt! Experiment with what works and what doesn't! It's not like you fight the same way as Althena, anyways, right? So you take the principles and make them your own, that is the true essence of martial arts."

"The fact of the matter is, people do a lot of crazy things in order to get stronger. There's no shortcuts, whether that's sacrificing others, bloodletting, and signing contracts without reading the fine print. Sure you'll get something in the short term, but consider this."

"What will you ultimately learn from them that you can't already get from focusing and working hard at it?"

Quote Originally Posted by grampagen View Post
    "Asha'rah? Really? I think you're being rather hyperbolic" Zaofan replied calmly. "But I don't know Dash, you tell me. You were dependent on her to solve your problems. How far did that take you?"

"And I get the feeling this wasn't exactly out of the goodness of her heart, was it? The first time I met Meagan, she was on Earth. That's quite a distance from Chroma where her heart was."

In the end, they happened to chance by, and it was Erosa who fired the final shot. Assuredly it must have been peaceful, if busy lately. Wonder what Meagan's doing now it's been far too long.

"I don't know why you would sign your friend up for something like this, Dash. You said it yourself, why are you dependent on her, someone who won't show up when asked, when you yourself could help Praxat grow?"

And with that, he turned back to the actual core of the matter. Praxat was being stalked by someone who seemed to be doing this for the ego of it.

"I'm not going to lie to you, Praxat. If even Althena doesn't know about Zawk and Vion, then they're probably not going to come back. But training yourself to fit into a mould of something that doesn't exist...that's not going to help you improve, that's just a limitation."

"Heck you're already on the right path. Wonder! Doubt! Experiment with what works and what doesn't! It's not like you fight the same way as Althena, anyways, right? So you take the principles and make them your own, that is the true essence of martial arts."

"The fact of the matter is, people do a lot of crazy things in order to get stronger. There's no shortcuts, whether that's sacrificing others, bloodletting, and signing contracts without reading the fine print. Sure you'll get something in the short term, but consider this."

"What will you ultimately learn from them that you can't already get from focusing and working hard at it?"
    "You see her only as a box, a generic box defined by your own limited knowledge and preconceived opinions. You fail to look inside the box, you haven't see her as ah have. You make assumptions without evidence. Even worse, you make assumptions about me an my judgement on this matter. You assume that ah'd do something to cause my friend harm."

"Ah'd have assumed that you, of all people, would trust me enough to know that ah'd never hurt one of my friends. Praxat has a right to decide for herself, an if she asks me for help ah'd do what ah could to help her. Which is more than you have done. Ah don't see you offering to train her, or to introduce her to someone who could." Dash's disappointment hung heavily in the air.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

"You see her only as a box, a generic box defined by your own limited knowledge and preconceived opinions. You fail to look inside the box, you haven't see her as ah have. You make assumptions without evidence. Even worse, you make assumptions about me an my judgement on this matter. You assume that ah'd do something to cause my friend harm."

"Ah'd have assumed that you, of all people, would trust me enough to know that ah'd never hurt one of my friends. Praxat has a right to decide for herself, an if she asks me for help ah'd do what ah could to help her. Which is more than you have done. Ah don't see you offering to train her, or to introduce her to someone who could." Dash's disappointment hung heavily in the air.
    Zaofan leaned forward with a stare so earnest it seemed as if he was looking right through her. Just who am I talking to right now?

"I'm not talking about some six-faced, flap-top, collapsible unit of storage. If it was available to me, it wouldn't have petered out when customer service called back to put my request on layaway."

Boy, this analogy sure fell apart quickly.

"Why didn't you answer my questions, Dash? You stepped up for her, now take a look at yourself. Why are you dependent on her, when you could help Praxat? Why do you have so little faith in your own ability to help our friend find her way?"

And just what kind of 'training' did this Reimi instill into her that made her feel so...inadequate?

The momentary pity and itch of curiosity, however, faded once her accusations became particularly pointed at his absence.

"...you listen closely, Dash. And I mean it. Listen well.."

Zaofan's tone flattened, and the weariness fell over his face, before his face reddened, and his long fingers trembled with subdued anger.

"I've been doing my best, ever since before Jagam arrived, but when Sir Luop came down from the sky I realized I had to push myself harder than ever before. No matter what new discoveries we'd happened upon with Master Balon, no matter what new avenues became open to us from Evangeline's purview, remembering the gulf between Auroc's weakest knights and us that day kept me wondering, 'would it ever be enough?'"

"No. Never. Not while Auroc was still out there, watching the Earth, waiting for his moment to strike. Everything back home I loved could be in an instant turned into...this," he said, gesturing to the crumbled castle around them. "If he had a mind to do it, or worse."

"Don't put our neglected friend on me. You didn't see me try to help?" A hollow laugh of disbelief escaped him, "Oh, I wonder why that is?"

"One, I'm not a mindreader. Two, she didn't ask. If all you or Praxat want to do was go a few rounds, you could ask anybody in this group of fighters to...fight. I know you probably won't, but trust me, the offer still stands."

"And three, I have just spent the last six months pushing through into unmapped stellar territory with Held and Ochazuke. From Nevada-Prime, to the reaches just outside the Threshling empire, before even getting near their colony, I have seen what happens to Auroc's enemies, Dash. I've seen things you wouldn't believe."

The flush in his face rapidly paled as he recalled the memories, and traced the steps through his mind through the abandoned planets, left lingering in their death throes as a warning.

"Not a day went by when I didn't miss Etrina. Erosa, she'd had a lot of close encounters and only just barely came back to us. I wanted to go back, but the only thing pushing me forward through the homesickness was the knowledge that at any moment, this could have happened to Earth. That Totoma, Shochu, and yes, even you were still back home put my mind to ease, it gave us a fighting chance at doing what we needed to do; find this monster, to take the fight to him, and end this nightmare hanging over our heads once and for all."

A shudder passed over him before he continued.

"My point being, we wouldn't be here right now having this conversation, if not for what we and the Nevadians did. None of us would know, nor would the greater universe, until we banded together our resources," he said, "But your Reimi apparently had knowledge of the threat Auroc presented, this planet's location and she said...nothing? Just like she knows what Praxat's, apparently, missing, and didn't say anything until now. It seems to me, apparently, she'd prefer to watch the universe squabble and people like us waste our time until it's somehow useful to her. How nice for her. Me, I'm never going to get any of those lost moments back, and I'll have to live with it for the rest of my life knowing it could have been different."

With a snap, the table they were eating at disappeared into a capsule.

"Do I know her as you do? Maybe I don't. But while I may not have opened the box, heh, I can see the bottom's all warped and soggy."

Quote Originally Posted by MrSandman View Post
    "Right...." Etrina gave a curt nod, having been quietly conversing with her two foci while the situation had been explained. "I was able to procure a sample of the energy he used to transport his probe away, and I've since examined it to the point I'm fairly certain I could ritualistically open a similar portal to a location close to or perhaps right on top of where the first one went. So if you all in the mood for YET ANOTHER jaunt to a foreign world thats likely a trap....my all means..."

Etrina made a motion with her hands, summoning up very specific energies and focusing them in the air before them to create a stable vortex.

".....huh.....that worked....." Etrina spoke to nobody in particular. "Never done it before, not intentionally....."
    The moment the void portal stretched the yawning void through open space for Etrina, Zaofan silently admired her magician's handiwork.

"Haven't seen one of these since the ol' Geofront, heh heh," he said. Weightless, wide and flickering, it was a weird feeling dumping the full extent of an Optic Blast down there into the Void Tunnel. "So this'll take us to Khoolis?"

"It will take you close to Koorimaru," Ochazuke said, "And unlike most of us, he will not need to breathe to survive in space."

This, unfortunately, necessitated that they may have need of another pilot.

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    "I fought Remnant... briefly." Inanna commented off-hand.

"Wouldn't recommend it." After a pause, the woman then added: "Koorimaru was also confident that he, thanks to the power conferred by Remnant, could defeat everyone present on the Lookout at once. Whether or not this was his posturing, remains to be seen... but it does raise questions."
    Ochazuke considered this. This had not been much more than a day ago, by all accounts, and with a few exceptions, this was likely a rather accurate assessment. To a point.

"Even if his persona is fragmented, it would likely be less fruitful to confront him directly, so much as to investigate what he's been going after," he said, "But what did you have in mind?"

Quote Originally Posted by Sub-Zero MKA View Post
    Parsley wanted to argue. Her jaw clenched and her muscles grew taut, signifying the struggle raging within. She knew he was right; she said so herself. It was a trap. If it wasn't, Ochazuke was the most capable of getting her in and out quickly. Yet, she cared about Maiz more than nearly anyone. If anything happened to her while she wasn't there to stop it...

No...no... I have to trust that someone else can save her. She will be fine.

The thought echoed through her head on repeated over and over again until she started to believe it. Doubt still lingered, and right next to it was the belief that she was better suited for this part of their apparent next mission. I guess I won't be able to help Sarada.

Slowly, she relaxed. She sighed tersely and closed her eyes. "She's more than just a Guardian to me," she admitted quietly. "Please, bring her back safe."
    "I'd heard much the same from Sarada. If anything should happen to Maiz, there'd be hell to pay," Ochazuke said, "But that's precisely why we can't afford to give them any more leverage."

Koorimaru knew that he was coming, but for all the bad blood he had with him, Saiyans and Arcosians mixed about as well as kerosene and matches.

They also needed to see if they, indeed, had an unexpected ally at one end of the possession. Blizzar aside, the greed of the Arcosians had been shown to be rather immediately deadly several times over. If the worse was already to happen...

"...there is one thing you can do to help her directly. I've never met Maiz, but if she's like you or your sister, it might be troublesome to pull her off that rock on a word alone."

Ochazuke considered this. This had not been much more than a day ago, by all accounts, and with a few exceptions, this was likely a rather accurate assessment. To a point.

"Even if his persona is fragmented, it would likely be less fruitful to confront him directly, so much as to investigate what he's been going after," he said, "But what did you have in mind?"
    "My brief confrontation with Remnant was telling enough," Inanna responded after a moment to reflect. "Right before it attempted to subsume my consciousness it at least stated plainly its ultimate aim: Rebirth. The universe is mine by right, and needs to be redone. Reborn amidst salt and smoke. Made better. Purer." The woman paused, to let the words sink in, before uttering a laugh.

"It's rather comical really."

Though there was something... curious about that confrontation that perhaps bore mentioning.

"The split second before Koorimaru departed. It wasn't Koorimaru I was looking at, speaking to. Could see it in the eyes; an amber glow." Ah, how had she missed that at first... possibly the result of what'd happened the moment before. No sense lamenting what'd come and gone. "Hmm.... Remnant was wearing the Arcosian like a cheap suit. A silver-lining of a kind," it did at least mean there was a way to determine which persona it was they were dealing with.

"Food for thought."
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Zaofan leaned forward with a stare so earnest it seemed as if he was looking right through her. Just who am I talking to right now?

"I'm not talking about some six-faced, flap-top, collapsible unit of storage. If it was available to me, it wouldn't have petered out when customer service called back to put my request on layaway."

"Why didn't you answer my questions, Dash? You stepped up for her, now take a look at yourself. Why are you dependent on her, when you could help Praxat? Why do you have so little faith in your own ability to help our friend find her way?"

And just what kind of 'training' did this Reimi instill into her that made her feel so...inadequate?

The momentary pity and itch of curiosity, however, faded once her accusations became particularly pointed at his absence.

Zaofan's tone flattened, and the weariness fell over his face, before his face reddened, and his long fingers trembled with subdued anger.

"I've been doing my best, ever since before Jagam arrived, but when Sir Luop came down from the sky I realized I had to push myself harder than ever before. No matter what new discoveries we'd happened upon with Master Balon, no matter what new avenues became open to us from Evangeline's purview, remembering the gulf between Auroc's weakest knights and us that day kept me wondering, 'would it ever be enough?'"

"No. Never. Not while Auroc was still out there, watching the Earth, waiting for his moment to strike. Everything back home I loved could be in an instant turned into...this," he said, gesturing to the crumbled castle around them. "If he had a mind to do it, or worse."

"Don't put our neglected friend on me. You didn't see me try to help?" A hollow laugh of disbelief escaped him, "Oh, I wonder why that is?"

"One, I'm not a mindreader. Two, she didn't ask. If all you or Praxat want to do was go a few rounds, you could ask anybody in this group of fighters to...fight. I know you probably won't, but trust me, the offer still stands."

"And three, I have just spent the last six months pushing through into unmapped stellar territory with Held and Ochazuke. From Nevada-Prime, to the reaches just outside the Threshling empire, before even getting near their colony, I have seen what happens to Auroc's enemies, Dash. I've seen things you wouldn't believe."

The flush in his face rapidly paled as he recalled the memories, and traced the steps through his mind through the abandoned planets, left lingering in their death throes as a warning.

"Not a day went by when I didn't miss Etrina. Erosa, she'd had a lot of close encounters and only just barely came back to us. I wanted to go back, but the only thing pushing me forward through the homesickness was the knowledge that at any moment, this could have happened to Earth. That Totoma, Shochu, and yes, even you were still back home put my mind to ease, it gave us a fighting chance at doing what we needed to do; find this monster, to take the fight to him, and end this nightmare hanging over our heads once and for all."

"My point being, we wouldn't be here right now having this conversation, if not for what we and the Nevadians did. None of us would know, nor would the greater universe, until we banded together our resources," he said, "But your Reimi apparently had knowledge of the threat Auroc presented, this planet's location and she said...nothing? Just like she knows what Praxat's, apparently, missing, and didn't say anything until now. It seems to me, apparently, she'd prefer to watch the universe squabble and people like us waste our time until it's somehow useful to her. How nice for her. Me, I'm never going to get any of those lost moments back, and I'll have to live with it for the rest of my life knowing it could have been different."

"Do I know her as you do? Maybe I don't. But while I may not have opened the box, heh, I can see the bottom's all warped and soggy."
    " Dash, and Zaofan I'm, going to take this Reimi up on her offer. It might be a gamble, but it's my decision," Praxat said.
    My Forum check it out

Bruceleegreyhulk's RPG & Story Forum

Characters: Cyber Samurai, Wilima Stonewall, Red Oni, Jaakobah , Giduiz Mazi, Midas Goldsteel

"Zaofan, you have been spending too much time with Ochazuke, and ah don't mean it in a good way. From the sound of it you insulted my friend, my mentor. An now you are desperately trying to justify why you did it by returning to the same tired assumptions. You spoke with her for less than 2 minutes, and you act as if you have known her for years. You again falsely make assumptions about me an my relationship with her, yet when was the last time before now that we ever spent any time together, you an ah?"

Dash was barely able to hold in her anger and frustration, "Ah hope ah am never so arrogant, ignorant or disrespectful that ah'd treat your mentors the way you treated mine."

Quote Originally Posted by bruceleegreyhulk View Post
    " Dash, and Zaofan I'm, going to take this Reimi up on her offer. It might be a gamble, but it's my decision," Praxat said.
    Dash turned to her friend. "Praxat, ah need to go for a walk, you can join me if you want." With that, she turned, sadly walking away from someone she once admired.

Dash turned to her friend. "Praxat, ah need to go for a walk, you can join me if you want." With that, she turned, sadly walking away from someone she once admired.
    " I join you in a moment, Dash. Zaofan going a few rounds with someone is not what I desire. I desire a teacher, a mentor," Praxat said.

"Actually, Althena does know about Zawk and Vion. She has the book of Aoem in her possession. I seen passages of them in the book myself," Praxat said.
    Last edited by bruceleegreyhulk; 10-19-2020 at 07:39 AM.
    My Forum check it out

Bruceleegreyhulk's RPG & Story Forum

Characters: Cyber Samurai, Wilima Stonewall, Red Oni, Jaakobah , Giduiz Mazi, Midas Goldsteel

Retired Overlord

"My brief confrontation with Remnant was telling enough," Inanna responded after a moment to reflect. "Right before it attempted to subsume my consciousness it at least stated plainly its ultimate aim: Rebirth. The universe is mine by right, and needs to be redone. Reborn amidst salt and smoke. Made better. Purer." The woman paused, to let the words sink in, before uttering a laugh.

"It's rather comical really."

Though there was something... curious about that confrontation that perhaps bore mentioning.

"The split second before Koorimaru departed. It wasn't Koorimaru I was looking at, speaking to. Could see it in the eyes; an amber glow." Ah, how had she missed that at first... possibly the result of what'd happened the moment before. No sense lamenting what'd come and gone. "Hmm.... Remnant was wearing the Arcosian like a cheap suit. A silver-lining of a kind," it did at least mean there was a way to determine which persona it was they were dealing with.

"Food for thought."
    Etrina had to suppress her desire to groan as loudly and enthusiastically as possible.

"Is that everyones excuse these days....I'm not evil or power hungry, I just want to tear the universe down and remake it better. Gods, it like the cosmic equivalent of that old *too many mages spoil the ritual* saying...only with crasy gods and god wannabes."

Etrina had to suppress her desire to groan as loudly and enthusiastically as possible.

"Is that everyones excuse these days....I'm not evil or power hungry, I just want to tear the universe down and remake it better. Gods, it like the cosmic equivalent of that old *too many mages spoil the ritual* saying...only with crasy gods and god wannabes."
    "That saying is apt, dear Faetrina." Inanna replied. "There are too many gods, and they've spoiled the multuverse. Now everyone with a modicum of power, is trying to 'fix' it~"
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Retired Overlord

"That saying is apt, dear Faetrina." Inanna replied. "There are too many gods, and they've spoiled the multuverse. Now everyone with a modicum of power, is trying to 'fix' it~"
    "What, sorry...I zoned out for a moment when I was overcome with the urge to tear this universe apart and remake it so every time someone says the name Faetrina the nearest celestial body rams them at lightspeed...." Etrina muttered. "...and it would still be more legitimate then some of these idiots................and lets face it, you'd say it anyways...likely to abuse the convenient travel time."

"What, sorry...I zoned out for a moment when I was overcome with the urge to tear this universe apart and remake it so every time someone says the name Faetrina the nearest celestial body rams them at lightspeed...." Etrina muttered. "...and it would still be more legitimate then some of these idiots................and lets face it, you'd say it anyways...likely to abuse the convenient travel time."
    "I mean, I'm not the one who's leaned into the fae look now am I. You get what you pay for, I'd say~"

Arx Inosaan

As Dash walked, she heard a familiar voice speak just to her.

"While I appreciate the concern, it wasn't necessary. As they say, I am well old enough to take care of myself, and I was not offended by his actions. There is too much at stake for such minor things."

"Ah was shocked by what ah heard, an it wasn't fair to you."

"You can not view life solely by what is fair and what is not. A single moment in time, a single moment in space, a thought, a word, an act all impact on you only by the meaning you give to it. You still have much to do, so stay strong."

Dash sighed, then nodded, "I will, and give the family my regards."

She then turned around and looked for the gathering place where everyone would meet up.

Lin Kuei Grandmaster Sub-Zero MKA's Avatar

"I'd heard much the same from Sarada. If anything should happen to Maiz, there'd be hell to pay," Ochazuke said, "But that's precisely why we can't afford to give them any more leverage."

Koorimaru knew that he was coming, but for all the bad blood he had with him, Saiyans and Arcosians mixed about as well as kerosene and matches.

They also needed to see if they, indeed, had an unexpected ally at one end of the possession. Blizzar aside, the greed of the Arcosians had been shown to be rather immediately deadly several times over. If the worse was already to happen...

"...there is one thing you can do to help her directly. I've never met Maiz, but if she's like you or your sister, it might be troublesome to pull her off that rock on a word alone."
    The Saiyans and the Arcosians had a rivalry dating back two millennia. Whenever they were in the same room together, a battle was an almost certainty. Even those that could operate together with some semblance of civility carried for the other a healthy measure of mistrust and disrespect. For her, the only one she wouldn't at least consider killing immediately was Blizzar, because of his affiliation with the Galaxy Police. Even then, she preferred to keep him at arm's length unless it was absolutely necessary.

She sighed and opened her eyes. "She's very amicable but not very open to trusting strangers blindly, yes," she agreed when Ochazuke finished speaking. "Though, both I and Sarada have spoken well of you to her, as well as Rutaba and Pinach. Simply telling her who you are should allow your reputation to carry on from there." Even still, she had no idea what kind of mind-frame Maiz was in. When she was last awake, she was still on Vocado and attempting to orchestrate a planet-wide evacuation of civilians during the middle of Auroc's invasion. There was no clue to the means through which Koorimaru's slaves rendered her unconscious, nor was there any inkling as to whether she would be disoriented or not. Then, there was the fact that she would be waking up on a foreign world she had never been to, confronted by a complete stranger and a hostile Arcosian.

With that in mind, she knew that reputation alone and the words of her four wards would most likely not be enough to put hear at ease.

"What do you need me to do?"
    DBM | Sarada | Parsley

ROLL TIDE ROLL!