Page 234 of 371 FirstFirst ... 134184224230231232233234235236237238244284334 ... LastLast
Results 3,496 to 3,510 of 5560

Quote Originally Posted by Cleric of Hell’s Brigade View Post
    He watches her, eyes dark as he puffs on his pipe. After she finishes, he nods slowly, leaning back in his chair and looking her dead in the eyes.

“Right, right. Not very fair. Some dropped the ball, some just got too tired. And some did their job and left the clean up behind, not their responsibility. Most of the Gods of Destruction.....were too volatile without a more balancing force. Apologies, Janitor. Seems quite a mess. Sakin, that puddle of crap and gas, has been a real thorn, huh?”

He puffs , then nods once to himself.

“Well, how can I help? I can’t stay forever, and I’m getting old so I don’t know how useful I’ll be, but I’m willing to lend a hand.”
    "It was a system designed flawed, destined to fail." Inanna replied, "was only a matter of time; even had the fires of war not been stoked."

Caliban offering to help was... something at least, though given what he'd already done it was perhaps a bit much for her to ask. "All I need from you is continued neutrality," the woman said. "I don't intend to follow in the footsteps of the Old Guard, and spark another all-encompassing war. I have Parsley- should she agree to this- and for now that will have to do. Unfortunately I'm still to weak to be much more than a skittering mouse anyway... though an old enemy has proven quite useful in that regard."
    Last edited by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh; 10-30-2020 at 08:16 PM.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Lin Kuei Grandmaster Sub-Zero MKA's Avatar

Parsley fell silent as the former God and the God-to-be conversed between themselves. Mostly, their conversation was Inanna ranting about the amount of clutter that she found on her cosmic plate and Caliban listening. It was then that she allowed her true intentions to slip.

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    "... I'll burn it all down if I have to."
    The Gods were nothing more than brittle, exalted macrocosms of the animals they claimed sovereignty over. The likes of She Who Stalks, Sakin, Stine, and Asha'rah were nothing more than egotistical monsters who acted in however manner they wished with an unearned feeling of impunity. When consequences came upon them, some were too cowardly to face them and chose to hide. Others, like Asha'rah, learned nothing from their mistakes.

Like Inanna said, the entire system was flawed from the top. Imperfect people placed in positions of extreme, unimaginable power and authority without some sort of supreme balancing force could only lead to disaster. Mortal kind was paying the ultimate price for their failure.

It wasn't fair.

People like her, who had nothing to do with all this cosmic foolishness, suddenly found herself thrust directly into the midst of it. Inanna threatened to insert her even further.

"You want my help to clean up a mess," she finally spoke. "Your malignant talk of the Gods and the system in which they operate leads me to believe that you intend to destroy that system. Is that right?"
    DBM | Sarada | Parsley

ROLL TIDE ROLL!

Quote Originally Posted by Sub-Zero MKA View Post
    Parsley fell silent as the former God and the God-to-be conversed between themselves. Mostly, their conversation was Inanna ranting about the amount of clutter that she found on her cosmic plate and Caliban listening. It was then that she allowed her true intentions to slip.

The Gods were nothing more than brittle, exalted macrocosms of the animals they claimed sovereignty over. The likes of She Who Stalks, Sakin, Stine, and Asha'rah were nothing more than egotistical monsters who acted in however manner they wished with an unearned feeling of impunity. When consequences came upon them, some were too cowardly to face them and chose to hide. Others, like Asha'rah, learned nothing from their mistakes.

Like Inanna said, the entire system was flawed from the top. Imperfect people placed in positions of extreme, unimaginable power and authority without some sort of supreme balancing force could only lead to disaster. Mortal kind was paying the ultimate price for their failure.

It wasn't fair.

People like her, who had nothing to do with all this cosmic foolishness, suddenly found herself thrust directly into the midst of it. Inanna threatened to insert her even further.

"You want my help to clean up a mess," she finally spoke. "Your malignant talk of the Gods and the system in which they operate leads me to believe that you intend to destroy that system. Is that right?"
    Inanna cast a glance at Parsley.

"Join me or not, that is the plan." There was far more to it than that though, something Inanna was sure Parsley might key in on given time; so she beat her to the punch. "The system is already a shambles, I'm after those who can't bear to see it go." Which was, in essence, those Gods, Goddesses, and beings of power too content to rule over the current trash heap to let someone like Inanna put an end to that reign.

"But I won't make this choice for you. You've already had a taste of what I'm truly fighting." She Who Stalks, and those like her.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Voice of the Authorities Cleric of Hell’s Brigade's Avatar

“I would also suggest being careful if the plan is to ‘burn it all down’, Janitor. When people burn a system down, rarely do they have a ready replacement. Many a revolution hurts those it seeks to defend and upraise because, when succeeding, they have no idea how to actually go about fixing or running what was previously there.”

He puffs away, thinking.

“Cancer and Trauma have kept....mostly to themselves, working within their universe as is their accord. Trauma can be reasoned with, he still does his job. Actually, I believe he is training a replacement. Cancer.....Ehh, she’s scary but keeps to herself. Just don’t go to Universe 18. Both work with Sihn’s appointed Kai’s well enough.”

“Other than Aura, who’s working with Sihn, and Asha’rah, who’s....somewhere, I’m the only surviving Creation God. Well, Eresh I guess, but she’s special. And most of the Angels outside of Lampton, Stine, and Sakin are neutral. So there are parts of the system that work. Sihn.....hasn’t done the best, but he’s done better than any non-God could have.”
    Black Knight of SO
    Owner/Operator of SO’s Item/Weapon Shop
    Claimer of the original Rumbles 2,000,000th post
    CBR GM/DM

Inanna cast a glance at Parsley.

"Join me or not, that is the plan." There was far more to it than that though, something Inanna was sure Parsley might key in on given time; so she beat her to the punch. "The system is already a shambles, I'm after those who can't bear to see it go." Which was, in essence, those Gods, Goddesses, and beings of power too content to rule over the current trash heap to let someone like Inanna put an end to that reign.

"But I won't make this choice for you. You've already had a taste of what I'm truly fighting." She Who Stalks, and those like her.
    “I would also suggest being careful if the plan is to ‘burn it all down’, Janitor. When people burn a system down, rarely do they have a ready replacement. Many a revolution hurts those it seeks to defend and upraise because, when succeeding, they have no idea how to actually go about fixing or running what was previously there.”

He puffs away, thinking.

“Cancer and Trauma have kept....mostly to themselves, working within their universe as is their accord. Trauma can be reasoned with, he still does his job. Actually, I believe he is training a replacement. Cancer.....Ehh, she’s scary but keeps to herself. Just don’t go to Universe 18. Both work with Sihn’s appointed Kai’s well enough.”

“Other than Aura, who’s working with Sihn, and Asha’rah, who’s....somewhere, I’m the only surviving Creation God. Well, Eresh I guess, but she’s special. And most of the Angels outside of Lampton, Stine, and Sakin are neutral. So there are parts of the system that work. Sihn.....hasn’t done the best, but he’s done better than any non-God could have.”
    Knowing which cosmic beings she could count on to stay out of the way was nice and vital. It doubled as a list of potential allies, or at the very least contacts, which was also nice.

However, prior to listing off who was doing what, Caliban made a point she couldn't ignore. The destruction of these beings who depended on the system to maintain their iron grip on their power would leave a void in the power structure. The death of only one being, Indar'en, left U15 in absolute shambles. Parsley couldn't imagine the state of the sealed universes once Inanna's intentions were realized.

Thus, she asked, "Once you judge and destroy those found lacking, then what? What will the fallout be and how do you intend on dealing with it?"
    DBM | Sarada | Parsley

ROLL TIDE ROLL!

Ochazuke, that is Koorinaru’s soul in the form. No lingering sense of another can be found.
    Regardless of his converted shell, through the black mask obscuring the creature's face, the sick aura remained. He would recognize it anywhere. Sallow, tainted with the rot of ruthless ambition, whatever Koorimaru was now could hardly be contained in the mere physical faculty.

“Bah, loyal kinsman indeed. Don’t let that coward and thief Blizzar fool you, Ochazuke. My people are born and breed to be survivalists, keen of mind and suspicious. It comes from being naturally more powerful than damn near any other race. Loyalty is few and far between, usually shared only between the nearest of family and even then it’s not uncommon to find treachery afoot.”
    "Naturally more powerful," Ochazuke repeated. "You would wish."

For indeed, he had. Yet he still wanted more, only this time, he had overextended himself.

He shrugs.

“The prior inhabitant would have slaughtered me wholesale given the chance. The amulet would have been too tempting, and even without that my power would have been seen as a challenge, and Arcosians are not fond of rivals. Especially not when so few remain now.”

You seem to get the impression of a smirk.

“As to how many......enough. Enough that any possible betrayal and death will be subverted to another.....host. Insurance, and all that. But let us talk of more pleasant things, yes? I wish an alliance: a secretive one, of course, since I would prefer the fewest possible know of my survival.”
    The pleasantries that followed after Koorimaru's talk of suspicions and betrayal he held to be in common with the remainder of his people roused little more than further contempt within Ochazuke.

However, if what he says of the Remnant is true...

"It bears repeating that you are very bad at this," Ochazuke said. "So far any alliance you might have, has been built on serving yourself entirely."

Only the Guardian held over his rear hand had caught his attention.

"If you were merged with the Remnant, then you must know how far along Inda'ren's scheme has come along. Out with it," he said, then followed, "And we are here, after all, while you acknowledged that you should be dead. Who else knows his goal? Who was the one that killed you?"

He puffs away, thinking.

"No offense, but word of mouth is not enough." Inanna replied, dryly.

"This is part of why we are in this mess. Asha'rah took the word of another- or lack thereof- without deigning to see for herself; I would not make the same naïve mistake. Meeting them, getting a sense of their intent. That is the first step. But you're helping prove my point, Caliban." Inanna said. "Sihn isn't a god, merely a custodian with a divine revolver; and he's done far better holding the Sealed Universes together than a cacophony of Gods."

Of course, all that effort was slowly killing him...

"Though Lampton has been, perhaps unintentionally, far more helpful than you'd expect of a 'traitor'. He's the reason I'm not dead, or worse. I've also received the assistance of... an unknown. Whis."

Knowing which cosmic beings she could count on to stay out of the way was nice and vital. It doubled as a list of potential allies, or at the very least contacts, which was also nice.

However, prior to listing off who was doing what, Caliban made a point she couldn't ignore. The destruction of these beings who depended on the system to maintain their iron grip on their power would leave a void in the power structure. The death of only one being, Indar'en, left U15 in absolute shambles. Parsley couldn't imagine the state of the sealed universes once Inanna's intentions were realized.

Thus, she asked, "Once you judge and destroy those found lacking, then what? What will the fallout be and how do you intend on dealing with it?"
    "The way forward will be secure, before I burn the old way to ash. Properly implemented, there will be no fallout." Inanna stated.

"I'm a long way off from being strong enough to do it, and I have next to no firsthand information about my soon-to-be 'peers'. First steps are to fix these issues, and I've already made progress today on the latter. After that, I intend to fix the issue of exploitation. There is no order to be found, when those put in place to establish said order can literally be stripped of the means by anyone with the knowhow. Look at what Genesis has managed, in little more than half a decade." Inanna continued.

"Until I've managed those first two- or three, counting the power issue- the rest can't happen."
    Last edited by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh; 10-31-2020 at 09:40 AM.

Arx Inosaan

“Bah, loyal kinsman indeed. Don’t let that coward and thief Blizzar fool you, Ochazuke. My people are born and breed to be survivalists, keen of mind and suspicious. It comes from being naturally more powerful than damn near any other race. Loyalty is few and far between, usually shared only between the nearest of family and even then it’s not uncommon to find treachery afoot.”
    "Coward and thief, am I?" Blizzar chimed in. "Interesting accusation. I hail form the bottom rung of our dearly desecrated homeworld and I daresay I've suffered worse than you've ever had as I attempted to climb up from the drenches of society. Or at least, I would...but I'd never had to tap into such desperate means as your pitiable power grab. Perhaps, I never would've..." the lieutenant tapped his forehead crest. "I have a certain strength of will that most of my kin lack, even."

He shrugs.

“The prior inhabitant would have slaughtered me wholesale given the chance. The amulet would have been too tempting, and even without that my power would have been seen as a challenge, and Arcosians are not fond of rivals. Especially not when so few remain now.”

You seem to get the impression of a smirk.

“As to how many......enough. Enough that any possible betrayal and death will be subverted to another.....host. Insurance, and all that. But let us talk of more pleasant things, yes? I wish an alliance: a secretive one, of course, since I would prefer the fewest possible know of my survival.”

Quote Originally Posted by grampagen View Post
    For indeed, he had. Yet he still wanted more, only this time, he had overextended himself.

The pleasantries that followed after Koorimaru's talk of suspicions and betrayal he held to be in common with the remainder of his people roused little more than further contempt within Ochazuke.

"It bears repeating that you are very bad at this," Ochazuke said. "So far any alliance you might have, has been built on serving yourself entirely."

"If you were merged with the Remnant, then you must know how far along Inda'ren's scheme has come along. Out with it," he said, then followed, "And we are here, after all, while you acknowledged that you should be dead. Who else knows his goal? Who was the one that killed you?"
    Blizzar folded his arms, "Oh, I don't know if he will. For as much as he holds onto the Arcosian ideal, Koorimaru seems rather lost. He's a husk of his former self, clinging to foolish ideals such as pride. Like a Saiyan," he mocked.

"The way forward will be secure, before I burn the old way to ash. Properly implemented, there will be no fallout." Inanna stated.

"I'm a long way off from being strong enough to do it, and I have next to no firsthand information about my soon-to-be 'peers'. First steps are to fix these issues, and I've already made progress today on the latter. After that, I intend to fix the issue of exploitation. There is no order to be found, when those put in place to establish said order can literally be stripped of the means by anyone with the knowhow. Look at what Genesis has managed, in little more than half a decade." Inanna continued.

"Until I've managed those first two- or three, counting the power issue- the rest can't happen."
    Security. The way forward for mortals post-Gods would be secured before that path was put into motion. That, more than anything, was her main concern. However, there was no more mention of the way Inanna was envisioning. Perhaps she didn't know it quite yet. If that was the case, then how could she speak with such confidence? Parsley couldn't support a plan to strip a government down to nothing if there was no word on what the replacement was going to be. Simply saying the future would be secure and properly implemented wasn't good enough.

"The universe's path to the future will be properly implemented and secured...how? How do you intend to keep the universes from falling into chaos once the divine failures have been swept into the wastebin?"

Moving from that, she considered the matter of divine energies and their theft. Asha'rah opened the door wide, and Genesis walked right through with zero repercussions thus far. She Who Walks implied that she intended on doing the same to free herself of her bounds. Sakin had been doing it for years from the shadows of his parasite planet. Parsley saw zero reason why someone else couldn't do the same even once Genesis and Sakin were destroyed. Hearing that she intended on looking into locking down was good.

However, "What of the Guardians? They are gifted with Creation energy and can be exploited. What do you intend to do about them?"
    DBM | Sarada | Parsley

ROLL TIDE ROLL!

Security. The way forward for mortals post-Gods would be secured before that path was put into motion. That, more than anything, was her main concern. However, there was no more mention of the way Inanna was envisioning. Perhaps she didn't know it quite yet. If that was the case, then how could she speak with such confidence? Parsley couldn't support a plan to strip a government down to nothing if there was no word on what the replacement was going to be. Simply saying the future would be secure and properly implemented wasn't good enough.

"The universe's path to the future will be properly implemented and secured...how? How do you intend to keep the universes from falling into chaos once the divine failures have been swept into the wastebin?"

Moving from that, she considered the matter of divine energies and their theft. Asha'rah opened the door wide, and Genesis walked right through with zero repercussions thus far. She Who Walks implied that she intended on doing the same to free herself of her bounds. Sakin had been doing it for years from the shadows of his parasite planet. Parsley saw zero reason why someone else couldn't do the same even once Genesis and Sakin were destroyed. Hearing that she intended on looking into locking down was good.

However, "What of the Guardians? They are gifted with Creation energy and can be exploited. What do you intend to do about them?"
    "By mirroring Sihn." Inanna respsonded.

"He's not even a proper God, merely has one assisting- as penance- and he's managed through strength of will and surety of purpose; to maintain what little order he could in six universes rapidly spiraling towards annihilation. Yes, he's overwhelmed. Yes his influence is limited; but with what he's managed to do with so little? Imagine what could be done with a dozen of souls like him... hundreds?" Inanna explained.

"The Gods and Destroyers that agree to move forward with this plan, will act as advisors; and in extreme cases as arbiters," she continued. "Perhaps once they've come to understand the mortals they now either ignore, or terrorize, they can do more... but I've found that immortality and divinity lead to arrogance and boredom. A horrendous mix. But one I have found, personally, can be counterbalanced when paired with mortals. As for the Guardians?"

Inanna paused, and considered this.

"I'll likely look to them first, when I begin the search for caretakers. Otherwise I'll need to find a way to separate them from Creation Energy harmlessly."

Arx Inosaan

"By mirroring Sihn." Inanna respsonded.

"He's not even a proper God, merely has one assisting- as penance- and he's managed through strength of will and surety of purpose; to maintain what little order he could in six universes rapidly spiraling towards annihilation. Yes, he's overwhelmed. Yes his influence is limited; but with what he's managed to do with so little? Imagine what could be done with a dozen of souls like him... hundreds?" Inanna explained.

"The Gods and Destroyers that agree to move forward with this plan, will act as advisors; and in extreme cases as arbiters," she continued. "Perhaps once they've come to understand the mortals they now either ignore, or terrorize, they can do more... but I've found that immortality and divinity lead to arrogance and boredom. A horrendous mix. But one I have found, personally, can be counterbalanced when paired with mortals. As for the Guardians?"

Inanna paused, and considered this.

"I'll likely look to them first, when I begin the search for caretakers. Otherwise I'll need to find a way to separate them from Creation Energy harmlessly."
    There, that was what she was looking for. Using the amicable and agreeable Gods as advisors and arbiters to help Sihn run the six sealed universes was as good an idea as she could come up with without doing away with even those Gods who were willing to work with them. Add in the Guardians that, she assumed, agreed to join that effort as advisors and Parsley could see why Inanna was so confident that mortals' path to the future was secure.

The state of the universe was in shambles. One man, this Sihn, was overseeing six different universes, an obviously mentally and physically taxing ordeal. Dividing those responsibilities to several people who had proven themselves willing to work for the greater good of the people beneath them - as opposed to doing whatever they wanted without a single thought toward the consequences - was the only practical solution. A pity it needed to come to that, but foolish actions by foolish and short-sighted people made it a necessity. It was either that or continue to allow the universes to fester and rot under the oppression of egomania. The strong would also act with impunity until someone stronger imposed consequences they had no choice but to accept.

"I see," she spoke after considering things a little more. "Trustworthy Gods and Guardians as the ultimate overseers. I suppose I can will you with the vetting process." She tapped her chin in thought.

They had suffered enough do to these pompous deities. She was going to enjoy seeing them stripped of their power and put down like dogs.

"What's first for the preparation?"
    DBM | Sarada | Parsley

ROLL TIDE ROLL!

There, that was what she was looking for. Using the amicable and agreeable Gods as advisors and arbiters to help Sihn run the six sealed universes was as good an idea as she could come up with without doing away with even those Gods who were willing to work with them. Add in the Guardians that, she assumed, agreed to join that effort as advisors and Parsley could see why Inanna was so confident that mortals' path to the future was secure.

The state of the universe was in shambles. One man, this Sihn, was overseeing six different universes, an obviously mentally and physically taxing ordeal. Dividing those responsibilities to several people who had proven themselves willing to work for the greater good of the people beneath them - as opposed to doing whatever they wanted without a single thought toward the consequences - was the only practical solution. A pity it needed to come to that, but foolish actions by foolish and short-sighted people made it a necessity. It was either that or continue to allow the universes to fester and rot under the oppression of egomania. The strong would also act with impunity until someone stronger imposed consequences they had no choice but to accept.

"I see," she spoke after considering things a little more. "Trustworthy Gods and Guardians as the ultimate overseers. I suppose I can will you with the vetting process." She tapped her chin in thought.

They had suffered enough do to these pompous deities. She was going to enjoy seeing them stripped of their power and put down like dogs.

"What's first for the preparation?"
    Inanna sighed.

"She Who Stalks was proof enough that we're both out of our depth. Unless you want to die, I suggest you focus on getting stronger. Such is the unfortunate state of the system we are currently trapped within." If Genesis wasn't enough to remind her just how far behind the eight ball she was; She Who Stalks had certainly confirmed it. "As I mentioned already, there's no sense moving forward blindly or without confidence. Plus, I've a lot of things to cross off of my to-do list; and a promise to keep with a Fallen Angel besides."

Arx Inosaan

Inanna sighed.

"She Who Stalks was proof enough that we're both out of our depth. Unless you want to die, I suggest you focus on getting stronger. Such is the unfortunate state of the system we are currently trapped within." If Genesis wasn't enough to remind her just how far behind the eight ball she was; She Who Stalks had certainly confirmed it. "As I mentioned already, there's no sense moving forward blindly or without confidence. Plus, I've a lot of things to cross off of my to-do list; and a promise to keep with a Fallen Angel besides."
    Telling a Saiyan to focus on getting stronger could only tell Parsley that they had no first step. She had her own business to see about. Helping Sarada with Tundra and squaring her agreement with Night before at the fore. After that, she intended on following through with training Seri alongside her two children. Plus, she had other training she wanted to look into. Not having a step to look forward to and only having to focus on improving was a boon.

"Very well. When you're done, we should leave. I need to speak to Etrina."
    DBM | Sarada | Parsley

ROLL TIDE ROLL!

Quote Originally Posted by KingofPie View Post
    "Coward and thief, am I?" Blizzar chimed in. "Interesting accusation. I hail form the bottom rung of our dearly desecrated homeworld and I daresay I've suffered worse than you've ever had as I attempted to climb up from the drenches of society. Or at least, I would...but I'd never had to tap into such desperate means as your pitiable power grab. Perhaps, I never would've..." the lieutenant tapped his forehead crest. "I have a certain strength of will that most of my kin lack, even."

Blizzar folded his arms, "Oh, I don't know if he will. For as much as he holds onto the Arcosian ideal, Koorimaru seems rather lost. He's a husk of his former self, clinging to foolish ideals such as pride. Like a Saiyan," he mocked.
    Korrimaru laughs.

“Lost? Pride? No, I swallowed my pride when my power was stripped away years ago and I had to fight tooth and nail to regain even a semblance of it. I long learned that pride gets in the way of purpose. My ultimate goal is survival and growing my techniques and power, which at least is better than your thieving and hiding behind your badge, kinsman. And don’t deny it, I watched you on Reshlan. Stealing from ruined temples and pilfering as you so-called allies fight.”

He looks at Ochazuke.

“Careful with this one. At least you know what to expect from me. Blizzar hides his face and real motivations.”
    Black Knight of SO
    CBR GM/DM

Quote Originally Posted by grampagen View Post
    Regardless of his converted shell, through the black mask obscuring the creature's face, the sick aura remained. He would recognize it anywhere. Sallow, tainted with the rot of ruthless ambition, whatever Koorimaru was now could hardly be contained in the mere physical faculty.

"Naturally more powerful," Ochazuke repeated. "You would wish."

“Not far. We only had Maiz, no other as Eva proved.....resistant to coming along. Though.......hmm, in my moment of death I did feel an....emptying of Remnany’s presence. Since he was currently within me, perhaps Remnant passed on alongside my body. As to who killed me....I don’t know. But my attacker wasn’t on planet. Or close to it. I would have sensed them. Remnant would have sensed them.”
    Black Knight of SO
    CBR GM/DM