Page 128 of 371 FirstFirst ... 2878118124125126127128129130131132138178228 ... LastLast
Results 1,906 to 1,920 of 5560

Quote Originally Posted by Miburo View Post
    Ah. The art of the Bargain. Held had no idea what was transpiring between Baradurian and human, but he certainly knew the bartering system when he saw it.

"I can always sense when the fun is getting ready to start." Held replied with a smile, pleased to see his friend in such good spirits, "So, in that sense at least, my timing is without equal."

He turned, taking in the festive atmosphere that exuded from the group. Warriors, Explorers, and Navigators all, but in this moment, simply living beings enjoying a reprieve from the toils of their mission.

"You really know how to sell me on something, don't you?" The Nevadian set down the large bottle he had carried to the group, grabbing the sustenance that had been offered, before dipping it in the paste Zaofan spoke so highly of.

He put it to his mouth, biting off a large portion of the flatbread.

He instantly began clearing his throat, coughing slightly.

"Oh. Oh---" He coughed once more, his eyes widening slightly, "Oh ****."

Heat was a bit of an understatement, with the blazing flame---as the Nevadian now knew that he and his friend had a very different definition of 'heat'---that danced within his mouth, a mixture of savory and spicy, of pleasure and torment.

The flame slowly began to win out, consuming his taste buds like a raging inferno in a forest fire---Where the hell was the water? Or whatever it was that these masochists were drinking to soothe the fires of Baradur made manifest in this meal?

He spotted the jug that sat in the middle of the group, vaguely able to detect to natural earthen scent immigrating from it, even as his senses were recovering from the ambush implemented on his taste buds.

"Does a man have to die to get a drink around here?" He asked, half jokingly as he cleared his throat, "Or is there some right of passage burning bread thing no one told me about before I took a bite?"
    "Hey hey hey now. What happened to 'mind over matter'? Someone's been slipping on the meditation," the Martial Chef teased, "It's not easy putting something simple like this together, so you can't just nibbled, you've got to breathe it across the palate, and take in the subtleties of how the seed and peppers mortar together."

For emphasis, he took a dab himself and chewed it together slowly with relish.

"The anatomist classifies the sensation as pain, but the essence of true flavour, that is...is..." A sly smile crawled across Zaofan's face, until the corners of his eyes began to water,"...ok yeah, vintage or not, we're going in."

With a small pop, the cork top of the ceramic jug was opened, and a hit of acetone-sweet went straight up the nostrils, hitting brightly across the sinuses. Its aroma was so strong it forced a blink, behind the veil of their eyes flashed the image of its lush origins. It was like breathing in sunshine.

"Here." Pouring out two glasses, Zaofan began to aerate them, and a light foam rose upon he surface. "Last season's harvest set to brew for a quarter year. The growing season is extra lengthy in this part."

Distilled to liquid amber, the Baradurian spirit went down hot, but that was only the blood rushing to meet it. Once it settled, each subsequent sip seemed to smooth out as it set their nerves alight with a heady bloom, and with it a momentary fugue of perfect serenity.

"Drink up, Held. For the moment, life is good for these people, and it's thanks to your crew."

"I don't envy you two." Held replied, regaining his composure for a moment, "I guess I get the easy part of the job, eh? Write a few checks, a few dozen reports about your tasks, and then fly down and kick a belligerent or two in the head."

He paused, frowning. "Actually, no...I'll likely have to do a few reports about your report as well...." he shrugged, "Still, I suppose I can't very well sit and complain about such things while you're both hard at work."

....Still, some part of me would rather be doing that...Atleast it's something of use. Half my time I'm stuck playing politics or bureaucrat. I didn't realize my command would be so constrained. Then again, as things are, it can't be helped until I manage to gain more influence...Which this whole thing probably will help with.

"I guess I'll do my part for the effort and have a drink for the both of you, if that's the case." He replied to his own excellent humor with a laugh, "I suppose that's the burden of higher command, eh? None of the work and all of the credit? All of the enjoyment seems fitting as well..."

On that note....I hope that geezer manages to come through and helps me mitigate the blow back from this. This was the right call, but I don't know if the others will see taking Blacktongue and the priestess prisoner as proper diplomacy....

"After all, a little R&R goes along way for your team, I imagine. You've been grinding things out for sometime now...." He sighed slightly, "And not to kill the moment, but I feel this might be the easy part, the prelude, even."

There's no way Auroc could overlook such an insult to his pride, and the closer we get to him, the more resistance we'll encounter...Each bread crumb only leads us into more danger, into a diversion and proves that he should take us seriously...

"I'd hope we can jump straight to the climax sooner, rather than later, but we're rarely that lucky."

"I suppose we should be thankful he's so self absorbed." Held replied, his attention drawn to the ambient energy that heralded Auroc's power, even with his believers could not. It may have went unseen to many, but not to those assembled. And even to those unable to see it, they certainly felt it, either during the frantic battle, or more intimately, as it crushed their minds and spirits beneath its weight, subjugating them entirely.

Even now, Held was only vaguely aware of Ochazukes means, tracing things that were esoteric and unseen to even to the potent techniques of the Shingan. Held may have possessed sight beyond sight, but Ochazuke employed a sense very different, that Held could only detect on the periphery of his awareness.

"After all, if anyone can follow his slimy tendrils back to their source, I'd think you two can."
    As the Captain made his leave to compute the new data sequences, Ochazuke remained there with Held and Zaofan. He stood there facing away into the stars.

"Nightfall beneath the sky of another world. Until this past year I have never experienced such a thing. Nor had I stopped to ponder the field of view."

Besides the outer lights of the spaceships gathered in the sky where they docked, there was little to disturb the sight above. The swaying trees and crackle of torches seemed to be silenced by the unobstructed view of endless scores of stars under an unpolluted atmosphere. The tails of shooting stars streaked across the dark canopy, as if they traced for their eyes what wild, mythic shapes they'd bestowed upon the ancients of this place; but try as he might, he could not find nor truly understand the spirit that rose from this place.

"Little over five years ago my training brought me to the North Continent back on Earth. Seated beneath the icy peak upon the tundra, I would look up to try and find constellations. I'd been taught to recognize the movement of Heaven as some sign of auspicious meaning. Aligned this way, it would be time to seize your fortune; find the pole star and destiny is on your side."

"I wonder, was it the same for you, Held? The Saiyans? The Threshling princess when she made her arrival? Everything must happen for a reason..."

From The Doctor to the Gods and certain, extraordinarily bold Guardians, and creatures like That Man or twisted monarchs from in-between realms, there was always that struggle, the urge to seize upon the yawning void and create some semblance of order, to design meaning for oneself, even if it meant imposing it where there was none.

Strive.

"Ever since we crossed path with Evangeline, I'd still looked skyward and saw nothing but one wretched calamity after the other, waiting to fall from the heavens."

His fist tightened by his side with such intensity his knuckles popped.

"I wonder. Does Auroc know enough to feel the same way now?"

Quote Originally Posted by Cleric of Hell’s Brigade View Post
    OT: While we wait, let’s keep things going with a bit of character time.

IC:

Eva stares out into the sky, eyes faintly glowing with strange power. Behind her, the M Fighters gather and prepare. Any minute once their last minute training is done they’ll depart for far shores, and not for the first time Eva silently curses what has befallen those she considers family.

Her mind goes back, recalling the fallen and missing, the retired and those yet to come as her gaze pierces the clouds of time momentarily.

Fate and Time. Old strings she’s familiar with pulling against. She doesn’t know who the strange Kai was that bestowed her this ability, but if it can help her family, she’ll use it, and damn the consequences.
    OOC: I'd post something, but I really don't know what to post. Maybe if I was playing Meagan instead of Dash...right now Dash is just wondering what is going to happen next.

Actually, Dash does have a question for Eva, if she is up for it.
    Last edited by Tami; 08-01-2020 at 08:08 PM.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Voice of the Authorities Cleric of Hell’s Brigade's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    OOC: I'd post something, but I really don't know what to post. Maybe if I was playing Meagan instead of Dash...right now Dash is just wondering what is going to happen next.

Actually, Dash does have a question for Eva, if she is up for it.
    Go ahead. Eva is always open to talk.
    Black Knight of SO
    Owner/Operator of SO’s Item/Weapon Shop
    Claimer of the original Rumbles 2,000,000th post
    CBR GM/DM

OT: While we wait, let’s keep things going with a bit of character time.

IC:

Eva stares out into the sky, eyes faintly glowing with strange power. Behind her, the M Fighters gather and prepare. Any minute once their last minute training is done they’ll depart for far shores, and not for the first time Eva silently curses what has befallen those she considers family.

Her mind goes back, recalling the fallen and missing, the retired and those yet to come as her gaze pierces the clouds of time momentarily.

Fate and Time. Old strings she’s familiar with pulling against. She doesn’t know who the strange Kai was that bestowed her this ability, but if it can help her family, she’ll use it, and damn the consequences.
    Walking up to Eva, Dash seemed hesitant seeing as how the Lady if the Lookout was deep in her own thoughts. Finally deciding to chance it, she spoke up, "Excuse me, Lady Eva? Ah got a question fro you, if you don't mind."

Walking up to Eva, Dash seemed hesitant seeing as how the Lady if the Lookout was deep in her own thoughts. Finally deciding to chance it, she spoke up, "Excuse me, Lady Eva? Ah got a question fro you, if you don't mind."
    She turns and smiles.

“How can I help you, Dash?”
    Black Knight of SO
    CBR GM/DM

She turns and smiles.

“How can I help you, Dash?”
    Dash relaxed a little, then tried to get right to the point, unsuccessfully.

"Well now, you see ah figure that ah've been pressing my luck for so long now, considering how ah keep jumping into the fire blind an all, an seeing as how my last few times nearly got me killed, an here ah am about to do it all over again..." She paused for a moment to collect her thoughts, "Meagan and ah used to talk, a lot, when ah was her apprentice. One of the things we talked about was you and how you had some control over fate. How you used that to bring everyone togther. Seeing as how ah was on Earth at the time, ah wonder why you didn't, well, tweak my strings. Sometimes it seems like ah'm still an outsider, not really one of them. Maybe it don't matter much, but, was ah not good enough?"

Dash relaxed a little, then tried to get right to the point, unsuccessfully.

"Well now, you see ah figure that ah've been pressing my luck for so long now, considering how ah keep jumping into the fire blind an all, an seeing as how my last few times nearly got me killed, an here ah am about to do it all over again..." She paused for a moment to collect her thoughts, "Meagan and ah used to talk, a lot, when ah was her apprentice. One of the things we talked about was you and how you had some control over fate. How you used that to bring everyone togther. Seeing as how ah was on Earth at the time, ah wonder why you didn't, well, tweak my strings. Sometimes it seems like ah'm still an outsider, not really one of them. Maybe it don't matter much, but, was ah not good enough?"
    Eva looks at her, her eyes glowing, and the smile turns warm and caring.

“Those I plucked were chosen because they were needed. In the tapestry of what could happen, their aid was required and the power I had to use then to manipulate Fate was....dangerous to do it too much. I did not summon you, or Cythlla, Parsley, and others either. Your fate.....was nudged slightly towards another goal.”
    Black Knight of SO
    CBR GM/DM

Eva looks at her, her eyes glowing, and the smile turns warm and caring.

“Those I plucked were chosen because they were needed. In the tapestry of what could happen, their aid was required and the power I had to use then to manipulate Fate was....dangerous to do it too much. I did not summon you, or Cythlla, Parsley, and others either. Your fate.....was nudged slightly towards another goal.”
    "Another goal?" Dash then looked embarrassed, "You're right, ah didn't think of the others. Ah spent nearly three years alone, traveling and training," She then shrugged slightly as if as an apology, "when you're alone like that it's easy to overthink the smallest of things an turn them into a mountain. Ah can see now my mountain was just a handful of dirt."

Praxat walks up to Eva and Dash." Eva, Dash I'm serious about applying to the GP Cadets, what do you think?" Praxat said.
    Last edited by bruceleegreyhulk; 08-02-2020 at 11:50 PM.
    My Forum check it out

Bruceleegreyhulk's RPG & Story Forum

Characters: Cyber Samurai, Wilima Stonewall, Red Oni, Jaakobah , Giduiz Mazi, Midas Goldsteel

"Another goal?" Dash then looked embarrassed, "You're right, ah didn't think of the others. Ah spent nearly three years alone, traveling and training," She then shrugged slightly as if as an apology, "when you're alone like that it's easy to overthink the smallest of things an turn them into a mountain. Ah can see now my mountain was just a handful of dirt."
    She smiles.

“Everyone’s goals and struggles are real, Dash. Seeing the problem for what it is and moving through or past is is the important thing, and you’ve done that. I’m proud.”
    Black Knight of SO
    CBR GM/DM

Quote Originally Posted by bruceleegreyhulk View Post
    Praxat walks up to Eva and Dash." Eva, Dash I'm serious about applying to the GP Cadets, what do you think?" Praxat said.
    “I think that would be a good idea, Praxat. The Cadets would do a good job of expanding your knowledge and help you learn more diplomacy while you are at it. Plus they have an excellent engineering program.”
    Black Knight of SO
    CBR GM/DM

“I think that would be a good idea, Praxat. The Cadets would do a good job of expanding your knowledge and help you learn more diplomacy while you are at it. Plus they have an excellent engineering program.”
    " Thanks, I was thinking expanding my knowledge could benefit my Zawk and Vion Aoem styles. Zawk and Vion Aoem styles are very adaptable, So I can put my own twist on them and developed my own versions." Praxat said.
    My Forum check it out

Characters: Cyber Samurai, Wilima Stonewall, Red Oni, Jaakobah , Giduiz Mazi, Midas Goldsteel

She smiles.

“Everyone’s goals and struggles are real, Dash. Seeing the problem for what it is and moving through or past is is the important thing, and you’ve done that. I’m proud.”
    "Proud, huh?" Dash shuffled a little uncomfortable, "Ah thank you for that, but you kinda sound like my dad right now, my dad talking about my mother. No offense, but ah don't need anymore mothering." She then smiled weakly, which quickly devolved into a sad frown, "It's not that ah don't appreciate it, but bein reminded of my mother is another sore spot. And it wasn't your fault, so ah'm not upset with you or anything."

Letting out a mild guttural sound of frustration and embarrassment, "Ugggg.." she then put her head in her hands briefly before looking back at Eva, "Ah gotta stop talkin before ah shove my foot in deeper. Sorry about that."

"Proud, huh?" Dash shuffled a little uncomfortable, "Ah thank you for that, but you kinda sound like my dad right now, my dad talking about my mother. No offense, but ah don't need anymore mothering." She then smiled weakly, which quickly devolved into a sad frown, "It's not that ah don't appreciate it, but bein reminded of my mother is another sore spot. And it wasn't your fault, so ah'm not upset with you or anything."

Letting out a mild guttural sound of frustration and embarrassment, "Ugggg.." she then put her head in her hands briefly before looking back at Eva, "Ah gotta stop talkin before ah shove my foot in deeper. Sorry about that."
    " Dash, I'm thinking about incorporating ninjustu into my Zawk and Vion Aoem styles. Can you tell me where you learn Ninjustu from?" Praxat said.
    My Forum check it out

Lin Kuei Grandmaster Sub-Zero MKA's Avatar

Parsley poured herself a tall glass of red wine to pass the time.
    DBM | Sarada | Parsley

ROLL TIDE ROLL!