Page 134 of 371 FirstFirst ... 3484124130131132133134135136137138144184234 ... LastLast
Results 1,996 to 2,010 of 5560

Quote Originally Posted by Monstrous Bird of Qin, Ou Ki View Post
    Oh, one of the other Earthlings chipped in. Not with much, but what she spoke of was possible, though...

"Possible, though in my estimation Auroc would simply opt to dominate them with his... goo, rather than kill them. He wants to rule over an Empire of adoring subjects, not an Empire of Dust, after all."

Too bad she wouldn't allow him to rule over an empire at all.

"Golds are relatively few in numbers, and some have already been freed and become our allies. Inanna seems quite capable of purging Auroc's taint from them, and even I, with... considerable effort can manage the same. Certainly, we'll be able to free some of them, diminishing Auroc's forces while bolstering our own, but... I am uncertain as to how many are fanatics and how many are slaves."

"The Faith Militant, as you put it, are for the most part based in the Capital, though there are garrisons in most major settlements. Those are typically headed by silvers or particularly prominent Bronzes, though regional commands are almost always manned by a Gold. Priests and Priestesses are present in great numbers. Even the most remote backwater will have at least one, and every Garrison commander will have a hierophant attached to them, to assist in ensuring theological compliance on their part, as well as their forces and... charges. And to provide support in battle, if needed."

Nevanlinna chuckled. "...to add a bit of levity to the situation, these individuals are often referred to as 'pocket priests' when out of earshot. At least by the less... orthodox among us."

"However, to more directly answer your question... any in the Capital that would otherwise be amenable to us will either be too weak and frightened to openly support us, or require the false god's taint to be purged, the rest fanatics. Knights whose loyalty and faith are in doubt are typically assigned to more remote, unimportant garrisons, typically in a manner that prevents them from organizing and cooperating with other dissidents. Some, such as Luop, are outright sent off-planet. Fomenting dissent on planet is a viable strategy... but the longer we tarry, the more powerful Auroc becomes, so we may simply have to try to decapitate the leadership with a swift, sudden strike, before he grows too powerful."

She sighed in exasperation. "Not an ideal plan, but I believe we're capable of pulling it off. Furthermore, Vaikuntha will allow the tired and injured to recover much, much more quickly than they would otherwise, so our forces are comparatively... self-renewing, one might say."
    "We'll need to show your people that there is more than living in the shadow of fear," Ochazuke said, "After all, you've survived this long apart from Auroc's influence. They're waiting to see it can be done, only they've never been shown another way."

Still thumbing his chin, he looked over to the Threshling princess directly.

"Therefore, I propose a two-pronged strike on your capiral. One at the head, the other at the heart."

"Auroc feeds off of the people just as well as they draw upon him as a source of magical power. If he must prioritize defending himself, his knights are only partially empowered, and his priests entirely defanged without worship."

The prayer atop the pyramid, fueled by the belief of devotees locked in mindless devoted prayer earlier had gone unanswered, after all; with Nevanlinna, Parsley, and Inanna's arrival and subsequent explanation, it suddenly made sense, as did Anula's ineffectuality when she was isolated on Earth.

"There's hardly a swifter way to show faithful ones the fallibility of a vain god than to force him to abandon his flock. That will destabilize the structure, and then..."

"Plus, you've got Seri the Stupendous to kick all the bad guys' butts!"

"Yes, yes, and th--" She stopped, then turned to the young saiyan girl that had apparently followed her through the portal. "No. Absolutely not. I forbid this."

Seri crossed her arms and shook her head 'no'. "Nope! I'm going. I may not be as strong as you or Parsley, but I've been training super-hard and..." She clenched her fists as her power--and aura--swelled to... surprising heights for a child. Comparable, perhaps, to a newly-minted Super Saiyan--and the girl had simply powered up in her normal form! "...I can at least kick the butt of one of those bronze knight guys!"

The young saiyan powered down. "Don't even tell me not to go, again. You saved me, protected me, taught and trained me... I got this strong because I wanted to help you, no matter what! And now you need help getting your home back and freeing your people, so I'm going with you!" Her words and intent were pure, and her will surprisingly resolute. The girl had always been stubborn, but this was... different, Neva felt.

After a moment, Nevanlinna sighed in defeat, then tossed the Hozon-empowered bracelet to Seri. "...take this. It'll protect you. If you get any black ooze or goo on you, activate it. I... do not need it, as I am now."

Seri blinked, then smiled and slipped on the bracelet. "Hehe, yay! Don't worry, I won't let you down!" She hugged Neva, who tensed up for a moment before ruffling her "little sister's" hair and allowing herself the slightest hint of a genuine smile. After they separated, Seri turned to Ochazuke and cocked her head, as if trying to remember something.

"Oh, hey, I remember you, you're... Ochadzuke, right? The super-strong Earthling? Whatcha talking to Nev-Nev about?"

Pfft. Neva had half a mind to correct Seri's error, but she was not only stifling a laugh, but also wanted to see the stern Earthling reaction to someone as... decidedly not-stern as Seri. Times like these needed a bit of levity, after all.
    Ochazuke's immediate train of thought was derailed by the emergence of this young Saiyan. What? She was no bigger than Pinach and Rutaba had been back on their last visit to the Earth, but there was a hidden strength welling within her he'd only seen once before.

Off with Sarada in pursuit of an Arcosian, are you, Totoma? Some habits hardly change, and perhaps it was more than bold, brazen heroics this time.

Still, seeing Nevanlinna embrace a Saiyan was mildly offputting. The disgust had been palpable when she'd so much as breathed the same air as Sarada in their brief acquaintance. Yet there it was, not only familiarity with young Seri, but even compassion, honest and unrestrained.

To Seri's question, he answered plainly, "It seems you already know what we've been talking about, don't you?"

Ochazuke took a knee still he stood just below her eye level.

"Tell me, 'Seri the Stupendous'," he said, "What would you be willing to do to make sure Nevanlinna is able to return home safely?"

Quote Originally Posted by Monstrous Bird of Qin, Ou Ki View Post
    Oh, one of the other Earthlings chipped in. Not with much, but what she spoke of was possible, though...

"Possible, though in my estimation Auroc would simply opt to dominate them with his... goo, rather than kill them. He wants to rule over an Empire of adoring subjects, not an Empire of Dust, after all."

Too bad she wouldn't allow him to rule over an empire at all.

"Golds are relatively few in numbers, and some have already been freed and become our allies. Inanna seems quite capable of purging Auroc's taint from them, and even I, with... considerable effort can manage the same. Certainly, we'll be able to free some of them, diminishing Auroc's forces while bolstering our own, but... I am uncertain as to how many are fanatics and how many are slaves."

"The Faith Militant, as you put it, are for the most part based in the Capital, though there are garrisons in most major settlements. Those are typically headed by silvers or particularly prominent Bronzes, though regional commands are almost always manned by a Gold. Priests and Priestesses are present in great numbers. Even the most remote backwater will have at least one, and every Garrison commander will have a hierophant attached to them, to assist in ensuring theological compliance on their part, as well as their forces and... charges. And to provide support in battle, if needed."

Nevanlinna chuckled. "...to add a bit of levity to the situation, these individuals are often referred to as 'pocket priests' when out of earshot. At least by the less... orthodox among us."

"However, to more directly answer your question... any in the Capital that would otherwise be amenable to us will either be too weak and frightened to openly support us, or require the false god's taint to be purged, the rest fanatics. Knights whose loyalty and faith are in doubt are typically assigned to more remote, unimportant garrisons, typically in a manner that prevents them from organizing and cooperating with other dissidents. Some, such as Luop, are outright sent off-planet. Fomenting dissent on planet is a viable strategy... but the longer we tarry, the more powerful Auroc becomes, so we may simply have to try to decapitate the leadership with a swift, sudden strike, before he grows too powerful."

She sighed in exasperation. "Not an ideal plan, but I believe we're capable of pulling it off. Furthermore, Vaikuntha will allow the tired and injured to recover much, much more quickly than they would otherwise, so our forces are comparatively... self-renewing, one might say."

"Plus, you've got Seri the Stupendous to kick all the bad guys' butts!"

"Yes, yes, and th--" She stopped, then turned to the young saiyan girl that had apparently followed her through the portal. "No. Absolutely not. I forbid this."

Seri crossed her arms and shook her head 'no'. "Nope! I'm going. I may not be as strong as you or Parsley, but I've been training super-hard and..." She clenched her fists as her power--and aura--swelled to... surprising heights for a child. Comparable, perhaps, to a newly-minted Super Saiyan--and the girl had simply powered up in her normal form! "...I can at least kick the butt of one of those bronze knight guys!"

The young saiyan powered down. "Don't even tell me not to go, again. You saved me, protected me, taught and trained me... I got this strong because I wanted to help you, no matter what! And now you need help getting your home back and freeing your people, so I'm going with you!" Her words and intent were pure, and her will surprisingly resolute. The girl had always been stubborn, but this was... different, Neva felt.

After a moment, Nevanlinna sighed in defeat, then tossed the Hozon-empowered bracelet to Seri. "...take this. It'll protect you. If you get any black ooze or goo on you, activate it. I... do not need it, as I am now."

Seri blinked, then smiled and slipped on the bracelet. "Hehe, yay! Don't worry, I won't let you down!" She hugged Neva, who tensed up for a moment before ruffling her "little sister's" hair and allowing herself the slightest hint of a genuine smile. After they separated, Seri turned to Ochazuke and cocked her head, as if trying to remember something.

"Oh, hey, I remember you, you're... Ochadzuke, right? The super-strong Earthling? Whatcha talking to Nev-Nev about?"

Pfft. Neva had half a mind to correct Seri's error, but she was not only stifling a laugh, but also wanted to see the stern Earthling reaction to someone as... decidedly not-stern as Seri. Times like these needed a bit of levity, after all.
    With a grim smile, "An empire like that is as good as dust. A life without free will is, well," Dash paused to consider her words, "non-existence, like a planet of zombies or somethin. No one should have their free will taken from them."
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Praxat takes out her phone, turns it on, and hands it to Hilda. " Hey, can you hold on to this for me? As you can see, I have a text message on there for someone I believe can help after this is all over. Right now, as you can see by the zero cellular bars, my phone has no signal here," Praxat said.

" Also, as you can see by the status of the wifi bar on my phone that I'm basically out of range for any wifi connection. So, as you can see, my message to this person is pending until a connection can be established," Praxat said.
    Last edited by bruceleegreyhulk; 08-24-2020 at 07:42 AM.
    My Forum check it out

Bruceleegreyhulk's RPG & Story Forum

Characters: Cyber Samurai, Wilima Stonewall, Red Oni, Jaakobah , Giduiz Mazi, Midas Goldsteel

Gambit: Gambit see your bet and raise it, because the cards always be in my favor.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cleric of Hell’s Brigade View Post
    Hilda’s smile widens slightly.

She hands him a small case.

“A preventative measure against Auroc’s black corruption. Your allies already have it, but yourself and your two friends here need it.”

She gestures to Ochazuke and Zaofan.

OT: Inside is the same things the others got to help temporarily resist the black vomit corruption when encountered.

IC:

After giving her present over, she leans down and places a simple quick kiss to Held’s cheek.

“Happy first day we met anniversary, Held. Baradur and Reshlan, two new planets to examine and learn about.
    "Uhhhh......"

It was a rare occasions, but Held found himself truly at a loss for words. Of all the possibilities, of all the contingencies for this occasion he had considered---And over the course of years, he had indeed considered as many plans as their were stars in the sky--this was not among them.

He had envisioned the argument that would take place, when after years of playing cat and also cat, he was somehow cornered---There would have been an argument, a lengthy case to be made, and the Nevadian would argue for--nay, demand--his freedom.

Hilda would refuse. It was impressed upon the Nevadian by his father that it was a matter of honor for both he who brokered the deal, and she would accepted. It would have been more likely that the sun would be plucked from the sky by a divine dragon, before either went back on their word.

And so, his argument would have went on deaf ears.

In another scenario, his rhetoric, his cold Nevadian logic and ruthless businesslike acumen would have convinced her that it was better for both of them to find a way to annul what had been proposed, or to find a suitable replacement.

In another, he impaled himself in the heart with his own blade, preferring freedom to a subjugation not of his own choice. In yet another, they battled--Sometimes to victory, sometimes to death. Sometimes he won, and lived his life free, drinking, gambling and enjoying the company of many beautiful women.

Which, was not entirely outside of a life he lived at one point, save for keeping company. Some odd sentiment--perhaps his fathers honor, and the traditions of the more noble of his people--prevented him from living out the entire fantasy, as it would have been considered an even deeper stain on the dishonor of all parties, especially compared to the relatively tame act of postponing his marriage until the heat death of the universe.

So, although a masterful flirt, and immensely charming, the Nevadian found himself unable to cross that line into womanizing. Perhaps it was a blessing in disguise that the warriors of the Unicorn Tribe had trained themselves to control such base impulses, and the be beyond them entirely. Or, mostly, as it were.

Oh, but in this dream, there was nothing to hold The Nevadian back! He could live out the full dream of any robust man of Nevada, that of Mead, Maidens, and Money.

In another world, he was murdered brutally by his fiance, given either a burial in an unmarked grave, or a full memorial service with friends and allies paying tribute. Sometimes Sarada was there, laughing at his misfortune, Inanna, the Queen's Consort, buy her side, deeply amused, and marginally disappointed at once. Other times, his friends, Ochazuke and Zaofan were there, the former shaking his head ruefully, the other, crying uncontrollably, unable to be consoled at the loss of his dear friends.

Of all the myriad universes Held had in his mind, not one of them involved a pleased fiance, much less a completely dumbfounded Nevadian, apparently on the day he and Hilda had first met. Was that true?

"...That's....Uhh...Today?"

Of course it was, he could hardly forget the day that set all of this in motion, after all. But....Of all the days, how on Baradur did it play out like that? He absently took the case she had handed him, as the computer that was his mind tried and failed to reboot itself.

"You spoil me.”
    Years of diplomacy had made the Nevadian tactful to a fault, to the point that being anything but required a conscious effort on his part, and his consciousness was preoccupied with attempting to rapidly restructure itself.

As things were, the Nevadians mouth instinctively responded, despite it's confusion.

"You're...Wel...come...?"
    Last edited by Miburo; 08-24-2020 at 02:28 PM.

"Take it like the man you need to be~" Inanna commented, from just over Held's shoulder.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Quote Originally Posted by bruceleegreyhulk View Post
    Praxat takes out her phone, turns it on, and hands it to Hilda. " Hey, can you hold on to this for me? As you can see, I have a text message on there for someone I believe can help after this is all over. Right now, as you can see by the zero cellular bars, my phone has no signal here," Praxat said.

" Also, as you can see by the status of the wifi bar on my phone that I'm basically out of range for any wifi connection. So, as you can see, my message to this person is pending until a connection can be established," Praxat said.
    From nearby, "You might want to hold on to that, Prax." Dash, having noticed what she was trying to do, "I'm sure Ms. Hilda has better things to do than watch your property, an you'd probably need it yourself later on."

Voice of the Authorities Cleric of Hell’s Brigade's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Miburo View Post
    "Uhhhh......"

It was a rare occasions, but Held found himself truly at a loss for words. Of all the possibilities, of all the contingencies for this occasion he had considered---And over the course of years, he had indeed considered as many plans as their were stars in the sky--this was not among them.

He had envisioned the argument that would take place, when after years of playing cat and also cat, he was somehow cornered---There would have been an argument, a lengthy case to be made, and the Nevadian would argue for--nay, demand--his freedom.

Hilda would refuse. It was impressed upon the Nevadian by his father that it was a matter of honor for both he who brokered the deal, and she would accepted. It would have been more likely that the sun would be plucked from the sky by a divine dragon, before either went back on their word.

And so, his argument would have went on deaf ears.

In another scenario, his rhetoric, his cold Nevadian logic and ruthless businesslike acumen would have convinced her that it was better for both of them to find a way to annul what had been proposed, or to find a suitable replacement.

In another, he impaled himself in the heart with his own blade, preferring freedom to a subjugation not of his own choice. In yet another, they battled--Sometimes to victory, sometimes to death. Sometimes he won, and lived his life free, drinking, gambling and enjoying the company of many beautiful women.

Which, was not entirely outside of a life he lived at one point, save for keeping company. Some odd sentiment--perhaps his fathers honor, and the traditions of the more noble of his people--prevented him from living out the entire fantasy, as it would have been considered an even deeper stain on the dishonor of all parties, especially compared to the relatively tame act of postponing his marriage until the heat death of the universe.

So, although a masterful flirt, and immensely charming, the Nevadian found himself unable to cross that line into womanizing. Perhaps it was a blessing in disguise that the warriors of the Unicorn Tribe had trained themselves to control such base impulses, and the be beyond them entirely. Or, mostly, as it were.

Oh, but in this dream, there was nothing to hold The Nevadian back! He could live out the full dream of any robust man of Nevada, that of Mead, Maidens, and Money.

In another world, he was murdered brutally by his fiance, given either a burial in an unmarked grave, or a full memorial service with friends and allies paying tribute. Sometimes Sarada was there, laughing at his misfortune, Inanna, the Queen's Consort, buy her side, deeply amused, and marginally disappointed at once. Other times, his friends, Ochazuke and Zaofan were there, the former shaking his head ruefully, the other, crying uncontrollably, unable to be consoled at the loss of his dear friends.

Of all the myriad universes Held had in his mind, not one of them involved a pleased fiance, much less a completely dumbfounded Nevadian, apparently on the day he and Hilda had first met. Was that true?

Of course it was, he could hardly forget the day that set all of this in motion, after all. But....Of all the days, how on Baradur did it play out like that? He absently took the case she had handed him, as the computer that was his mind tried and failed to reboot itself.

Years of diplomacy had made the Nevadian tactful to a fault, to the point that being anything but required a conscious effort on his part, and his consciousness was preoccupied with attempting to rapidly restructure itself.

As things were, the Nevadians mouth instinctively responded, despite it's confusion.

Hilda smiles again, black eyes looking pleased.

“I believe you and your allies need to assault Reshlan soon, husband. I shall not get in your way, I assure you. You won’t even known I’m around. Once you have dispatched Auroc of Taltok, I shall....find you...so we may continue our belated honeymoon.”

She pats him on the cheek, kisses it, and goes to look at some of Baradur’s scenery, her energy signature completely vanishing. Held could still see her visually for the moment, but he knew soon enough she would step sideways and vanish.
    Black Knight of SO
    Owner/Operator of SO’s Item/Weapon Shop
    Claimer of the original Rumbles 2,000,000th post
    CBR GM/DM

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    From nearby, "You might want to hold on to that, Prax." Dash, having noticed what she was trying to do, "I'm sure Ms. Hilda has better things to do than watch your property, an you'd probably need it yourself later on."
    Praxat puts the phone back in her pocket but leaves it on." Dash if you want to know who the text message is for it's for my mother. I reason given her position of power that she can help Reshlan once it's liberated," Praxat said.

" However, since there's no reception here, the message isn't going to be delivered to her until a connection is establish," Praxat said.
    My Forum check it out

Characters: Cyber Samurai, Wilima Stonewall, Red Oni, Jaakobah , Giduiz Mazi, Midas Goldsteel

Gambit: Gambit see your bet and raise it, because the cards always be in my favor.

Praxat puts the phone back in her pocket but leaves it on." Dash if you want to know who the text message is for it's for my mother. I reason given her position of power that she can help Reshlan once it's liberated," Praxat said.

" However, since there's no reception here, the message isn't going to be delivered to her until a connection is establish," Praxat said.
    "If'n you don't mind my sayin so," Dash hated to state the obvious to her friend, "ah'd think that somethin like that could have waited until after the mission. Ah mean, what if one of Auroc's followers hack your phone an read the text? It've given away our position and let them know what was goin on here. Dont'ca think that might have put these poor people in even more danger?"

"If'n you don't mind my sayin so," Dash hated to state the obvious to her friend, "ah'd think that somethin like that could have waited until after the mission. Ah mean, what if one of Auroc's followers hack your phone an read the text? It've given away our position and let them know what was goin on here. Dont'ca think that might have put these poor people in even more danger?"
    " Given the lack of technology here, I doubt anyone of Auroc's followers could hack my phone. And even if they could, they wouldn't be able to read the text it's in Frogiaria," Praxat said.

" Not to mention, I have taken precautions to make sure my phone isn't hacked. So maybe it would put the people of Reshlan in even more danger if Auroc's followers could hack my phone and read the text. However, with the precautions I have taken, I believe that won't be the case," Praxat said.

"Besides, if you doubt my decision and think I made a bad call, then I can just erase the message as simple as that," Praxat said. Praxat takes out her phone and turns it and then goes into the settings and clicks on an option that reads total memory system wipeout. Warning this setting will permanently erase all internal memory on this phone. All applications and messages will be lost and can not be retrieved.

Do you want to go forward with this option? Praxat's right index finger hovers over the setting," Dash, make the call if you think I should erase the message I will," Praxat said.
    Last edited by bruceleegreyhulk; 08-25-2020 at 05:27 AM.
    My Forum check it out

" Given the lack of technology here, I doubt anyone of Auroc's followers could hack my phone. And even if they could, they wouldn't be able to read the text it's in Frogiaria," Praxat said.

" Not to mention, I have taken precautions to make sure my phone isn't hacked. So maybe it would put the people of Reshlan in even more danger if Auroc's followers could hack my phone and read the text. However, with the precautions I have taken, I believe that won't be the case," Praxat said.

"Besides, if you doubt my decision and think I made a bad call, then I can just erase the message as simple as that," Praxat said. Praxat takes out her phone and turns it and then goes into the settings and clicks on an option that reads total memory system wipeout. Warning this setting will permanently erase all internal memory on this phone. All applications and messages will be lost and can not be retrieved.

Do you want to go forward with this option? Praxat's right index finger hovers over the setting," Dash, make the call if you think I should erase the message I will," Praxat said.
    "It's not mah choice to make, but you've already convinced me that the message is safe. Besides, you know more about these tech things than ah do. Ah just wanted to make sure you thought it out before you sent it out. So don't go an ruin your phone over what ah said."

"Sorry ah doubted you, this place kinda makes me all kinds of jittery."

"It's not mah choice to make, but you've already convinced me that the message is safe. Besides, you know more about these tech things than ah do. Ah just wanted to make sure you thought it out before you sent it out. So don't go an ruin your phone over what ah said."

"Sorry ah doubted you, this place kinda makes me all kinds of jittery."
    Praxat clicks on the no option and doesn't erase her phone's internal memory. She then turns off her phone and puts her phone back in her coat pocket." And my mother knows more about tech then I do. After all, she is the smartest person on my home planet, and she has tons more experience in technology then I do," Praxat said.
    My Forum check it out

Praxat clicks on the no option and doesn't erase her phone's internal memory. She then turns off her phone and puts her phone back in her coat pocket." And my mother knows more about tech then I do. After all, she is the smartest person on my home planet, and she has tons more experience in technology then I do," Praxat said.
    Suddenly realizing something, something that made Dash uncomfortable, "Uh, Praxat? Ah think ah owe you another apology." She then rubbed her ear briefly, "Ah think ah may have questioned your skills at least once before. Ah gotta stop treating you like a younger sister, you know far more about many things than ah do. Speakin of which, how old are you?"

The Natives had pulled rows of the Converted along some time ago, for now that the fighting had stopped and they had all at once lost their will, they had not been unsympathetic. The memory of who these men and women had once been stirred the hearts of even these alpha-primitives. Even twisted from what they once were, these uniform elfin sentries with their poisoned minds and cursed flesh, they held some naive hope that the blood that ran through them was still the same.

It was night now, and the temple grounds of Baradur were silent in the shadow of Auroc's ruin, and with that technorganic monolith deposed from its place, the night sky never shone brighter, save for the lone Navigation Guild vessel, astride with its suspensor field.

Captain Ulysses Prizzm stood alone upon the bridge, his single eye glaring fervently at the holo-screen before him.

Unit Alpha engaged. Synchronizing transponder. Tracking. Tangent Vector established.

His empty screen suddenly flash with an array of signal information. One of the probe units he'd sent out finally reached something to plot their stellar course.

Unit Beta engaged. Awaiting signal.

O, to struggle to master the heavens, to escape the confines of sky and sail the ocean of stars undaunted!

His eye narrowed as he lift a flask to his lips. A teetotaler by choice, he preferred something that would keep his edge on. What a romantic crock, ugh. The crewmen deserved their time off, along with the Cook and the Backseat Navigator down there. Hired hands and interested parties, they were largely good men, but good intentions had nothing to do with plotting a linear course through space.

Only a bloody fool would try to make a living off of nothing...

Space! Nothing linear or unmoving about the damned, yawning void! The thing stretched out for eternity! Charting a course through unfamiliar stars was utter insanity, like trying to map the coast by the grains of sand floating in the seawater at noontide! The Freighters and the Merchants in their cushy vessels, they never gave it a thought. Sail here, ascend there. Your choice of spaceports, amenities and a meal included.

"A planet in that direction." That's what Ochazuke had told him. Ulysses supposed a cardinal direction was better than starting from scratch, but too often he'd loathed to hear it. Usually it was some harebrained prospector. "Move toward the cluster and don't stop 'till we find it!" You'd have better luck mapping things out blindfolded with a dartboard.

Still, with the combat done and the three neutralized Threshling prisoners in the brig, his mind had busied itself with this next commission. They'd found this place, after all, and though they found absolutely nothing good here, he still had a job to do.

Besides, if he didn't get it right, it could surely be his last.

Unit Beta engaged. Synchronizing transponder. Tracking. Tangent Vector established.

Unit Gamma engaged. Synchronizing transponder. Tracking. Tangent Vector established.

Signal beacons fanned out in minute degrees north, northwest, north-northwest...motion trackers lifeless for just a moment.

And then the screen lit up with the image of a spinning, silent planet. He took one final sip and felt the pinprick of firing nerves.

Eureka.

Quote Originally Posted by Miburo View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Cleric of Hell’s Brigade View Post
    Hilda smiles again, black eyes looking pleased.

“I believe you and your allies need to assault Reshlan soon, husband. I shall not get in your way, I assure you. You won’t even known I’m around. Once you have dispatched Auroc of Taltok, I shall....find you...so we may continue our belated honeymoon.”

She pats him on the cheek, kisses it, and goes to look at some of Baradur’s scenery, her energy signature completely vanishing. Held could still see her visually for the moment, but he knew soon enough she would step sideways and vanish.
    The Captain left his men alone for about three and a half hours; that likely meant that they were already soused. With the urgency of this assignment, however, this couldn't wait. He had to talk to Held face to face.

To Ulysses' surprise, the mixed company on Baradur had suddenly tilt against the Nevadians' favour. All sorts of strange, civilized creatures in their odd shapes, manners and trappings.

And a Saiyan. Oh boy. Somehow, there'd been no further bloodshed.

Approached Held, he cleared his throat as the Pale Woman slinked into the shadows under the ancient stone temple.

"...this a bad time, Admiral? Because I'm afraid it's about to get a little worse," he started, "I can say for certain that we'll be able to get there, at least. Not getting shot down and grounded is another matter entirely."

Lin Kuei Grandmaster Sub-Zero MKA's Avatar

The fun with Hilda was over, with a promise of more in the near future left on Held's cheek. Parsley had had her fill, but was getting bored. Standing around listlessly while battle was just barely out of reach was a frustrating state that she wouldn't stand for too much longer. She knew they were waiting for whoever to pinpoint the coordinates for Reshlan, but that didn't stop her from going more impatient. Seems that year spent with Sarada has had some ill effects on me, she mused quietly. That was certainly a factor, but listening to two imbeciles go back and forth over cell phone reception would erode the patience of even the most pious of saints.

She glanced at the young girl, Seri, who was hardly a child anymore. Her power was impressive. Certainly enough to help her survive against perhaps a Bronze Knight. Parsley was certain Nevanlinna would keep an eye on her and keep her out of the crosshairs of the stronger defenders they came across. If worse came to worse, the girl would either flourish or die. There was never any in between.

"Be mindful of you decide to engage," she told the young Saiyanness. "I don't know who you've been training with, but I assure you we'll be fighting far stronger enemies. Act stupid and you will die."

That final warning was a blanket statement meant for everyone. They couldn't afford to get comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by grampagen View Post
    Approached Held, he cleared his throat as the Pale Woman slinked into the shadows under the ancient stone temple.

"...this a bad time, Admiral? Because I'm afraid it's about to get a little worse," he started, "I can say for certain that we'll be able to get there, at least. Not getting shot down and grounded is another matter entirely."
    She sniffed the air the moment a new figure approached. He smelled of Nevadian, but there was something else. She didn't care enough to figure it out, but it was bothersome. About as bothersome as finding salad at a buffet.

More important, it seemed he found the coordinates to Reshlan. Finally. She turned to face him and Held, and was greeted by a man who didn't appear to be Nevadian. Hm.

"Do you have the coordinates?"
    DBM | Sarada | Parsley

ROLL TIDE ROLL!