Default Fantasty Island Trailer--Da scary plane, Da scary plane!

So first banana splits and now fantasy island is a scary movie. Sigh.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Seriously? A pity Verne Troyer had passed away, he would’ve been more fitting as Rourke’s sidekick.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Extraordinary Member

Some of the original episodes of Fantasy Island were very creepy.

I recently saw an episode about a ventriloquist played by former Mouseketeer Annette Funicello. Her doll had been slowly taking control over her so Mr. Roarke brought the doll to life (played by the exquisitely beautiful Maren Jensen of Battlestar Galactica fame). The doll was determined to kill Funicello and take over her life. As I said, it was very creepy and sinister.

The two episodes I still remember to this day:

1. The one where three women want to live the lives of the Charlie's Angels.
    2. The one where a high school group reunion is terrorized by someone who breaks off toy cheerleader heads as they each are disposed of.

I could totally see Fantasy Island as a horror show or movie, as long as it's not Rourke being the bad guy. I think he may have the appearance of a devil in saint's clothing (Ricardo Montalban would've made a really good devil, and the white suit is symbolic of purity and power), but he really plays devil's advocate in the show.

I sorta prescribed to the thought that Mr. Rourke was a retired genie (or djinn) that set up shop on a remote island to retire. And just like with a djinn, 'be careful what you wish for' should be printed somewhere on the brochure.
    Most of the visitors' wishes would go off the rails into 'this was a bad idea' before coming back to relative safety and normalcy by the end of the show, leaving nothing more than an experience like that of a theme park.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Wasn't it always joked Mr. Roarke was actually a demon and the people involved were in a version of hell ? That is something I always heard . Also the 1998 TV series revival had this type of supernatural vibe and hinted that Roarke had a dark side.

"The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    Wasn't it always joked Mr. Roarke was actually a demon and the people involved were in a version of hell ? That is something I always heard . Also the 1998 TV series revival had this type of supernatural vibe and hinted that Roarke had a dark side.
    I thought the joke was Mr. Roarke was God. But all of the stories were morality plays. Roarke even teased in one episode: a guest said something like "Thank God," and Roarke and Tattoo shared a knowing look and grin and said, "God, indeed." And let's not forget that the Christian God isn't always nice.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I remember the '98 revival series fondly.

Quote Originally Posted by MyriVerse View Post
    I thought the joke was Mr. Roarke was God. But all of the stories were morality plays. Roarke even teased in one episode: a guest said something like "Thank God," and Roarke and Tattoo shared a knowing look and grin and said, "God, indeed." And let's not forget that the Christian God isn't always nice.
    So this will be the second attempt to do a dark version of Fantasy Island? Ricardo Montalban was alive when the first remake was done and I remember he just said he wished them the best of luck. It turns out they needed it but didn't get it.

I don't think they ever explained who or what Roarke was. Montalban said he had a personal idea who and what he was but wouldn't say what the idea was, just that it worked for him. I doubt it was that Roarke was "God" since Montalban was Catholic and very genuinely religious. I always suspected Montalban's idea was that Roarke was an angel.

Anyway, I was never a real fan of the original, never saw the remake and really no interest in this.
    Power with Girl is better.