Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    I think Ike was generally hands off when the comics, but when he did get involved, he made pretty strict mandates. I doubt he was really paying too much attention to what was happening in the titles; but he'd drop edicts like the Inhumans push, the FF cancellation, and the X-Men downplaying.

I do remember BleedingCool reporting that he might have actually mandated they give Spider-Gwen an ongoing, but that was because he was afraid of Sony getting there first and that complicating matters on some level.
    I don't even think he was needed for it to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    As a Spider-Fan, that might be the one good thing he did at/for Marvel, but that doesn't negate how pernicious his overall attitude and behavior was for Marvel as a whole.
    Of course it doesn't. Wasn't trying to say that it did. I was more just speaking to how Ike's approach was more to drop mandates in based on multimedia prospects rather than micromanaging the contents of the books.

BANNED

Might be obvious and known, still nice to hear it said out loud.

In Feige we trust for our beloved mutants.

'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post
    I mean...the guy is friends with the U.S. version of Kim Jong Un. Of course he hates diversity.
    It's ridiculous, right? A nobody immigrant travels to New York city and makes his fortune thanks to the melting pot, then decides: "That's enough. Got mine, screw you."

They say a year of wealth can erase a decade of empathy. That's scary to think about.
    "A happy ending? So unlikely. We're not having a moment here.

Wrong city, wrong people, all huddling in fear.

No one escapes the slaughterhouse, and that's just where you're at.

(You could've asked Rebecca but then Adam stomped her flat.)

You think you're special cuz you're scrappy? You're deluded, time to go.

Lucy's living on the moon but you're another dead psycho."

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Of course it doesn't. Wasn't trying to say that it did. I was more just speaking to how Ike's approach was more to drop mandates in based on multimedia prospects rather than micromanaging the contents of the books.
    I understand, and I'm sorry if I gave off that impression.

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome men don't lose fights View Post
    It's ridiculous, right? A nobody immigrant travels to New York city and makes his fortune thanks to the melting pot, then decides: "That's enough. Got mine, screw you."

They say a year of wealth can erase a decade of empathy. That's scary to think about.
    Indeed. Apologies if I'm getting too deep into real-world politics, but seeing all those billionaires opining about how certain candidates for the 2020 U.S. presidential election will leave them destitute if they have their way (at most, they'll have a few less billions, but they'll still be in the top 1 percent, if not the top 1 percent of top 1 percent, of income earners) really underscores the lack of empathy for one's fellow human beings, especially the ones who actually are destitute, that you point out.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    Wait, Ike presided over the era of Marvel comics when they were trying to make their roster more diverse.

It's clear that he just allows whatever he thinks will make money and tries to stop anything he thinks won't make money. His opposition to a Captain Marvel movie was that he (wrongly) thought female heroes always bomb at the box office.

The reason I bring this up is not to defend Perlmutter but to remind us that powerful content producers are not our friends and they just do what they think will be profitable. Feige has better instincts on that score than Perlmutter but he'll do whatever he thinks will make money and cancel anything he thinks will fail, just like the rest.
    Ding ding ding. A good reason to be constructively/responsibly critical towards those that use diversity as a means to gain more attention/money more so than out of the kindness in one’s heart (or as some may call, tokenism), especially when said diversity is not presented well/responsibly in the stories themselves.
    Last edited by Electricmastro; 11-12-2019 at 04:10 PM.

I understand, and I'm sorry if I gave off that impression.
    Nah, it's fine, I figured you got it, just thought it was worth clarifying just in case

Nah, it's fine, I figured you got it, just thought it was worth clarifying just in case
    All right, then. I can understand that.

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    Ding ding ding. A good reason to be constructively/responsibly critical towards those that use diversity as a means to gain more attention/money more so than out of the kindness in one’s heart (or as some may call, tokenism), especially when said diversity is not presented well/responsibly in the stories themselves.
    That is a good point, I'll admit, but it's also an issue that a lot of the criticism doesn't exactly come from people who just want representation to be handled or presented better.

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

That is a good point, I'll admit, but it's also an issue that a lot of the criticism doesn't exactly come from people who just want representation to be handled or presented better.
    Well in that case, then I think there has to come a time where it has to be determined how to handle the matters of such people that, like you said, make criticisms that "doesn't exactly come from people who just want representation to be handled or presented better."

If this is just people on the internet we're talking about here, with the understanding of how... far discussions on the internet can go, then I'll say that I think they should just be ignored, and in case that's not good enough and something more extreme is necessary, then perhaps ban them, and if then something even more extreme is necessary, then perhaps get law enforcement involved or some other higher power that's responsible enough to deal with such extreme matters.

And after that's all dealt with, then I'm sure the discussion, assuming there are any well-intentioned people left, can move along in a constructive, productive, and responsible manner by then.
    Last edited by Electricmastro; 11-12-2019 at 08:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    Well in that case, then I think there has to come a time where it has to be determined how to handle the matters of such people that, like you said, make criticisms that "doesn't exactly come from people who just want representation to be handled or presented better."

If this is just people on the internet we're talking about here, with the understanding of how... far discussions on the internet can go, then I'll say that I think they should just be ignored, and in case that's not good enough and something more extreme is necessary, then perhaps ban them, and if then something even more extreme is necessary, then perhaps get law enforcement involved or some other higher power that's responsible enough to deal with such extreme matters.

And after that's all dealt with, then I'm sure the discussion, assuming there are any well-intentioned people left, can move along in a constructive, productive, and responsible manner by then.
    Sounds sensible enough.