Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Default Design a Black Label ongoing

You are given complete freedom to design a Black Label ongoing title for DC. The catch is it has to be with a DC character. What would you do?

Some of my ideas:

Daily Planet. Lois, Clark, and the rest of the staff investigate crime in Metropolis. Including murders and other violent crimes. A "down to Earth" Superman title. Think Gotham Central for Metropolis.

Zatanna. She's investigating the disappearance of her father. This requires her to delve deep into the darkest recesses of the magical underworld.

Jonah Hex: A dark western along the same lines as Deadwood.

A Hellblazer reboot. The same type of hard series as the nineties version.

A Batman series that's basically the Nolan version. He's just starting out. Instead of a Batmobile he rides a motorcycle. Limited gadgets. Makes mistakes.
    Assassinate Putin!

Action Comics 1938 - Basically what Marvel did with Spiderman Life story, but with Superman. It would be close to Morrison run, but set in 1938.

I think an ongoing goes against the point of the Black Label. Which was created to produce evergreen stories.

That Rucka was originally working on a Gotham Central style Daily Planet series that eventually became the Lois book. I would have been interested to see that too.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

An Anarky solo set in Hub City.

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    Action Comics 1938 - Basically what Marvel did with Spiderman Life story, but with Superman. It would be close to Morrison run, but set in 1938.
    Generations already did that. But I guess it is time for a new iteration of that idea.

My Proposal:

Secret Society: a city like other but where their main outcome comes from (super) crime: henchmen, technologies, commerce, everything here is oriented to the bussiness of crime and normal people living here does the same things than everybody does: has homes, families, schools, entertaiment. But where everybody knows than it lives from breaking the laws of society. But even here, there are rules and somebody needs to enforce them.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    Generations already did that. But I guess it is time for a new iteration of that idea.
    It's true, but I do think it's been a long enough time. I also think there's a much greater sense of interest in Golden Age Superman, as well as a greater awareness of what made him different from some of the later permutations.

Personally, I'd like a Black Label Superman & Batman series styled vaguely after Sandman Mystery Theater, with a pseudo-Golden Age Superman, similar to the one from the early New 52, teaming up with a pseudo-Golden Age Batman, similar to the one from First Wave (does anyone else remember First Wave? haha!) I'd ideally want it drawn by Rags Morales, who drew both early New 52 Action and First Wave, and as far as I know Morales was never really into the scaling up to Silver Age thing that Morrison did during their Action Comics run, so I think getting him for a pseudo-Golden Age type story would be really cool.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    This is a great idea. That old Action Comics Superman was a lot different than today's, kind of a gritty, hard-punching hero of the working class.

I'd like to see a Killer Croc mini, using the Croc we saw in Azzarello and Bermejo's Joker story from ten years back. He's a tragic figure and I think it should hook directly into the Conway run on Batman from the early '80s, when he was introduced.

The Violent Misadventures of Lobo. Some bastich has kidnapped the space dolphins! Time for the Main Man to get to the bottom of this dastardly crime... BY BLOWING EVERYTHING UP!

A Neo-Noir detective style story starring Black Lighting, someone is frying the cops and political leaders of Freeland and the burns on their bodies make it look like they've been electrocuted. It's a whodunit story that puts BL's back against the wall and turns his community against him and his family while trying to prove his innocence in the process.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Mighty Member

I don't know what I'd call it. But Elongated Man, The Question, Detective Chimp, Tim Drake and Traci 13 investigate weird crimes in Gotham City during the 1800's. So it'll be gothic horror mixed with Lovecraft.
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

A reverse Gotham Central titled Gotham Underworld showcasing the colorful villains and their impact on average citizens, thugs and cops. Heists, backstabbing and outmaneuvering Law and Order included.

Incredible Member

A Black Adam series, who has to go on a quest to redeem himself for what did to his nephew Anon (the one who had inherited the magic of SHAZAM!, but was murdered by Adam in order to claim it).

Spectacular Member

Post Infinite Crisis Superboy Prime. Mysteriously has an alternate reality viewer that shows him how the New 52 was created and what he does to solve it.