Page 35 of 107 FirstFirst ... 253132333435363738394585 ... LastLast

Thread: The Mandalorian

I like that this show doesn't really stray from being a fantasy. I think that's why all the "trade talk" and "senate meetings" in the Prequel films seemed incongruous to a lot of people.

Case in point, this show is so guilty of that sci-fi trope of "an entire alien world is equal to ONE setting and place." From this episode, all of Nevarro is essentially that one town. And that's fine with me - let fantasy be fantasy as silly as it is.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I like that this show doesn't really stray from being a fantasy. I think that's why all the "trade talk" and "senate meetings" in the Prequel films seemed incongruous to a lot of people.

Case in point, this show is so guilty of that sci-fi trope of "an entire alien world is equal to ONE setting and place." From this episode, all of Nevarro is essentially that one town. And that's fine with me - let fantasy be fantasy as silly as it is.
    Well that 3PO droid was lecturing the kids about galactic trade routes in this episode. And insofar as Star Wars is supposed to be an allegory for real world conflicts, the actual causes of most wars tend to be economic in nature, rather than religious or ideological, and even in a fantasy story it's important to give some kind of credible basis for the conflict that the audience can parse, rather than just having another big bad dictator going around doing evil stuff for no reason. The problem comes when writers think that they can just throw out a bunch of confusing babble in lieu of actually intelligent plotting, Star Trek and a lot of supposedly "hard" sci-fi are guilty of this quite a lot, and it seems like the prequels took a page from that.

The senate was mentioned a lot in the original Star Wars as well, and the initial leadership of the Rebels (The Organas, Mon Mothma etc.) were all senators.

Not to get too political but I think the Trade Federation and the Seperatist leadership (Although clone wars makes things a bit more complex) were sort of Lucas's criticism of unchecked or Anarcho-capitalism; the flagship at the beginning of Revenge of the Sith is called the "Invisible Hand" which is definitely a bit of a nod there. Which is kind of funny since Star Wars's marketing is pure capitalism itself.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 11-20-2020 at 03:45 PM.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Extraordinary Member

Gotta give Carl Weathers his props on directing this one. Cara Dune really got some good screen time and they built on the adopted family thing for baby Yoda. I feel like Greef is Grampa and Cara is playing Aunt Dune lol. But yeah the storm troopers looking consistently dumb running into blaster fire lol. Baby Yoda doesn't take no for an answer when it comes to snacks
    Last edited by CliffHanger2; 11-20-2020 at 05:28 PM.

We got to see Mando's naked chin this episode .... yowza. Man likes his soup... How close do we think we are to having Mando change his ways and realize he can be a Mandalorian and still take his helmet off in front of people sometimes? I mean, as strict as he is about "The Way," the fact that he broke his code and took Baby Yoda shows he is capable of altering his beliefs.

Extraordinary Member

We got to see Mando's naked chin this episode .... yowza. Man likes his soup... How close do we think we are to having Mando change his ways and realize he can be a Mandalorian and still take his helmet off in front of people sometimes? I mean, as strict as he is about "The Way," the fact that he broke his code and took Baby Yoda shows he is capable of altering his beliefs.
    Apparently Pascal had a meltdown on set about not being able to take the helmet off. Don't know if that helped or not.

Mighty Member

This one was quite good. Good action, fun to see the Nevarro group again, and we get more of whatever Gideon is up to. Just based on what we've seen here, it almost looks like he's trying to make the Shadow Troopers from the Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2 game. Interesting.

And we get our first ever live action Arquitens! I love that thing, and it looked great in the one shot of it we got.

Really, really looking forward to next week. Things are setting up to get really interesting, and I think we all know who we're expecting to appear. Black Friday is Ahsoka day.

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    Apparently Pascal had a meltdown on set about not being able to take the helmet off. Don't know if that helped or not.
    A claim made exclusively by one sensationalist, click bait Youtube hack and completely unsupported by any real journalism or evidence. I call BS.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    This one was quite good. Good action, fun to see the Nevarro group again, and we get more of whatever Gideon is up to. Just based on what we've seen here, it almost looks like he's trying to make the Shadow Troopers from the Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2 game. Interesting.

And we get our first ever live action Arquitens! I love that thing, and it looked great in the one shot of it we got.

Really, really looking forward to next week. Things are setting up to get really interesting, and I think we all know who we're expecting to appear. Black Friday is Ahsoka day.

A claim made exclusively by one sensationalist, click bait Youtube hack and completely unsupported by any real journalism or evidence. I call BS.
    You're probably right she's been wrong before. But I wouldn't be surprised if he was a little bit frustrated.

Mighty Member

You're probably right she's been wrong before. But I wouldn't be surprised if he was a little bit frustrated.
    I would be really, really surprised. John Favreau would have told him from the very beginning that the helmet is staying on. He took the role fully understanding that, and agreeing to it. But now he has a problem with it? I would not only be surprised by it, but I would find Pedro Pascal, in that event, to be incredibly unprofessional. Which doesn't at all fit the image of him that emerges from interviews and press, but certainly isn't out of the question.

He's also easily replaceable, if necessary. A good chunk, perhaps even most, of the first season was filmed using stand ins on the set, with Pascal only providing the voice. If necessary, you could easily return to that format, and a new voice actor could be brought in if that becomes necessary.

Why bite the Disney hand unnecessarily? This isn't Boyega, who was done dirty by the ST and has a legitimate gripe about his treatment. He'd be burning a relationship with not only one of the biggest properties in Hollywood history, but with the company that holds the reins to not only that property, but many, many more. It might not be full on career suicide, but it definitely wouldn't be healthy.

While I certainly can't say that the report of Pedro Pascal's behavior is inaccurate, I wasn't there and I don't know anybody who was, I would be absolutely shocked if Grace Randolph's report turned out to have even a grain of truth behind it.

"Cara Dune: Navarro Marshall. Now premiering on Disney+!"

That IG-11 monument was...was everything.

"Baby Yoda goes to school!" And in schools in Star Wars, tablets seem mandatory.

Baby Yoda uses the Force to steal food. I think at this point we're almost about even with him using The Force altruistically and him using it for himself...

So...are they trying to artificially create people who are Force Sensitive using The Child's blood? Does it even work that way? It certainly didn't seem to mesh well with those folks .

I feel like the rise of the First Order was in part the result of the Senate not believing Imperial remnants were a problem and people in the Outer Realm being mum about what's going on, like in this episode. I guess we need our heroes to be somewhat the underdogs against the remains of the Empire, but it probably would have been good for the Republic to know about Gideon and his network.

No wonder Cara is always willing to jump at fighting the Empire. They blew up her planet and everyone she knew and loved. I kind of wonder how she feels about Leia.

I love how Din is trying to look cool in front of The Child and then he sees him barfing up food. Total dad moment .

Oh hey, it's Major Grey from Black Lightning! Still working with fascists, I see.

Will we get to see Mando and Ahsoka cut loose against Gideon's new souped up troopers ?
    I kind of hope that, if it does happen, he still only rarely takes the helmet off so as to retain the novelty of a masked protagonist and featureless protagonist.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

It’s not just Grace talking about it though. Midnight Edge and Doomcock have seen similar stories and the latter has recently reported about rumours that the issue was Pedro’s belief that no other Mandalorians take their helmets off until he learned that he was a special case and also apparently a bad reaction to a bad action figure or something. But time will tell I guess.

So if we're getting Dark Troopers, is a Mando/Kyle Katarn team-up out of the question?

Those looked like Dark Troopers to me, too.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

As others have said, that's just rumors..... although it made me wonder if Pascal was in the outfit more this season than the last one. Mando seems to be a bit more animated even in his body language than before, almost more casual and less "laconic gunfighter." Is it because Pascal's been on set more? I don't know and I shouldn't' care about that, just as I shouldn't care about Gina Carano's Tweets....

Extraordinary Member

As others have said, that's just rumors..... although it made me wonder if Pascal was in the outfit more this season than the last one. Mando seems to be a bit more animated even in his body language than before, almost more casual and less "laconic gunfighter." Is it because Pascal's been on set more? I don't know and I shouldn't' care about that, just as I shouldn't care about Gina Carano's Tweets....
    I see his behavior more as just character development. Being more vulnerable being around a baby all the time and not knowing exactly what he's doing.