Page 11 of 107 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161 ... LastLast

Thread: The Mandalorian

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by abulafia View Post
    so, you all seem to not be bothered with cuddle yoda, what about untrained baby helps shady armor man murder an innocent wild creature which only defends its territory and her brood?
    The baby peacefully lifted the Rhino off the ground, causing it no harm. Mando (terrible name) does nothing until after the Rhino touches down again and it goes back on the attack. Baby innocent on all charges.

Quote Originally Posted by abulafia View Post
    while performing a force feat initiate luke would not have been able to.
    Size matters not.
    Sounds perfect.

Enjoying the show, but episode three had a few odd moments that didn't make sense.
    At least the baby is safe.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Does anybody know where this Mandalorian religion fits into the Star Wars mythos because the part with never taking off the helmet never seemed to be there when their planet and people were heavily featured in Clone Wars and Rebels.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    Does anybody know where this Mandalorian religion fits into the Star Wars mythos because the part with never taking off the helmet never seemed to be there when their planet and people were heavily featured in Clone Wars and Rebels.
    It's brand new, though if you want to reconcile it you can hand wave it away with it coming about due to the culture becoming more conservative after the war they keep mentioning.

iMan 42s

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    Different groups.
    Satine tried to move on from their past following the Mandolorian Civil War which led to (or at least how it was during the Clone Wars) Death Watch. Neither side is all that indicative of Mando lifestyle since Satine had that past buried and Pre Vizsla simply didn't survive to establish his government (so outside of his insurgency we don't know how it would've gone). The Shadow Collective formed under Maul at the end of the day served him and following Ahsoka's attack would result in what would become Imperial occupation with gear and lifestyle adapting to fit Imperial rule. Clan Wren would only be one family who was formerly affiliated with Death watch, and then the Empire and the Nite owls being a unit within Death Watch.

So at the end of the day its not abundantly clear in canon what Mando lifestyle in general is seeing as the shows depict Mandalorian culture being split, supplanted, under Imperial rule, and then with one family which simply can't be representative of the entire planet. From Clone Wars to Rebels its a series of events that split and altered culture shown through the lenses of only a couple of groups.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    So at the end of the day its not abundantly clear in canon what Mando lifestyle in general is seeing as the shows depict Mandalorian culture being split, supplanted, under Imperial rule, and then with one family which simply can't be representative of the entire planet. From Clone Wars to Rebels its a series of events that split and altered culture shown through the lenses of only a couple of groups.
    Expanding on this, there appear to be events set between this and Rebels (what, about 15 years in universe?) that might further explain some things. This Purge, for example, appears to be an Imperial crackdown on Mandalore post-Rebels. It's clear that Mandalore, a planet of conflict on it's best days, has experienced dramatic upheavals since the Clone Wars. Any or all of which could play into where the Mandos now find themselves.

This group (the "covert" as the Mandalorian called it) almost appears to be a hyper traditionalist, conservative throwback. Perhaps a return to older, previously outdated customs in response to what they've been through. A movement like that could have sprung from almost any one of the developments we've seen Mandalore endure, even going back to the installation of the pacifist New Mandalorians pre-Clone Wars.

BANNED

I'm watching this faithfully, and actually even enjoying it so far. It's visually stunning and looks near to motion picture quality.

The script writing, on the other hand, leaves something to be desired. I am eagerly awaiting something resembling a story to happen. So far we've had 120 minutes of something that should have been told in 10. Mandalorian gets a bounty, bounty demonstrates it is force capable, Mandalorian betrays, then rescues the bounty for...reasons? Because it's cute? I guess (hope) we'll find out what his motivations are.

I'm not convinced that the bounty is a baby as we humans think of the term. An immature member of his race perhaps, but we've nothing yet to suggest it has zero force training. It wouldn't surprise me in the least to discover it can and always has been able to talk before the series is done...it might even be the last line of the last episode this season.

Anyway, just looking forward to this series actually being about something.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post

Mysterious professional of dubious morality and steady aim hired by in-no-way nefarious ex-Imperial to retrieve what has turned out to be a child and bring it back to I'm-sure-he's-a-great-guy-and-in-noway-a-mad scientist. Bonds with equally mysterious child due to apparently shared orphan status/abandment issues and proceeds to throw his entire life out the window to keep it safe.

That's what this show is about. Don't know why you're waiting for anything else.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    Mysterious professional of dubious morality and steady aim hired by in-no-way nefarious ex-Imperial to retrieve what has turned out to be a child and bring it back to I'm-sure-he's-a-great-guy-and-in-noway-a-mad scientist. Bonds with equally mysterious child due to apparently shared orphan status/abandment issues and proceeds to throw his entire life out the window to keep it safe.

That's what this show is about. Don't know why you're waiting for anything else.
    Gee, I really need to re-evaluate my expectations!

I'm watching this faithfully, and actually even enjoying it so far. It's visually stunning and looks near to motion picture quality.

The script writing, on the other hand, leaves something to be desired. I am eagerly awaiting something resembling a story to happen. So far we've had 120 minutes of something that should have been told in 10. Mandalorian gets a bounty, bounty demonstrates it is force capable, Mandalorian betrays, then rescues the bounty for...reasons? Because it's cute? I guess (hope) we'll find out what his motivations are.

I'm not convinced that the bounty is a baby as we humans think of the term. An immature member of his race perhaps, but we've nothing yet to suggest it has zero force training. It wouldn't surprise me in the least to discover it can and always has been able to talk before the series is done...it might even be the last line of the last episode this season.

There's speculation that humans age 10x faster than Yoda's race, and to get the human equivalent of their age you divide by 10.
    Yoda was 900, which would be 90 in human.
    The baby is 50, which would be 5.

But this is still just speculation at this point.

Don't know if we're marking spoilers or not, so...

spoilers:
    The main problem I had with with the latest episode was the bounty hunters all having the bounty fob on them, despite Mando already being announced to all of them as capturing it. Hence, Weathers' comment that they were all upset with him.
    Add to this that Mando and IG-11 both thought they were the only hunters assigned, yet here was a whole bar of hunters with the fobs, all of whom seem to know they weren't the only one. And none of them had even bothered to hunt the bounty. Or they would've been dead if they went before Mando (as commented on by Nolte's character) or they would've given up if they went after Mando because he went and turned in the bounty asap.
    Nevermind that to all appearances, most of them never even left the bar, much less the city, during the time Mando was gone.
    So why would they all have the 'Yoda Baby' bounty fobs on them?
    That scene was a bit forced.

Then there was the Mandalorians arriving to save Mando at the end.
    He never mentioned to them, or anyone, that he was going back for the kid.
    They didn't even seem to have a motivation for getting involved, especially one strong enough for them to disclose their secret hq.
    It was a forced scene to give Mando a Deus ex Machina.
    When the first rocket blast happened, signalling their arrival, I actually thought this was where we were going to meet Gina Carano's character.

Oh, and I'm overlooking the cliche of Weathers being saved from the blaster shot by the Beskar bars. At least that was set up well.

I did enjoy the Stormtrooper fight scene, and the 'Yoda Baby''s fascination with the shiny ball.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Lee Stone; 11-24-2019 at 03:59 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    There's speculation that humans age 10x faster than Yoda's race, and to get the human equivalent of their age you divide by 10.
    Yoda was 900, which would be 90 in human.
    The baby is 50, which would be 5.
    That in no way implies that someone of Yoda's race is the intellectual equivalent of a human 5 year old.

BANNED

Just checked out the first 3 episodes. Pretty cool so far.

That in no way implies that someone of Yoda's race is the intellectual equivalent of a human 5 year old.
    True.
    They could just hatch out of eggs as adults for all we know.
    Hence, why I used the term 'speculation'.

So far, my thoughts on it's use of the force is that it's possible that Yoda's race is overly force-sensitive and instinctively use it from birth.
    My suspicions is that the reason why we only ever see Yoda could be because his race might've been nearly exterminated when the Jedi were wiped out. Especially if they're naturally adept with the force.
    The kid was most likely being kept hidden to ensure the future of its race.

These, of course, are just my thoughts on it so far.
    Last edited by Lee Stone; 11-24-2019 at 05:31 PM.

Who else thinks Mando shot Carl Weathers in the exact spot where he knew he had his Beskar steel? I figured that he did, but some others on the internet did not assume that's the case.

I am of two minds: Mando shouldn't be so sentimental that he'd make sure to not kill someone who had no problem betraying him, but I do like Carl Weathers and he's Mando's Markie Post! He has to stick around....

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Who else thinks Mando shot Carl Weathers in the exact spot where he knew he had his Beskar steel? I figured that he did, but some others on the internet did not assume that's the case.

I am of two minds: Mando shouldn't be so sentimental that he'd make sure to not kill someone who had no problem betraying him, but I do like Carl Weathers and he's Mando's Markie Post! He has to stick around....
    A Fall Guy reference!

Yeah, you do have a point. It's possible that he liked him enough to just want to do a warning shot.