Page 30 of 107 FirstFirst ... 202627282930313233344080 ... LastLast

Thread: The Mandalorian

I re-upped my Disney+ subscription since the show’s back, enjoyed the first two episodes so far. I’ve seen some complain about feeling too “episodic/filler” but honestly in the age of serialized prestige tv that’s kind of an appeal to me.

Extraordinary Member

The gag of baby Yoda eating eggs was funny throughout the episode. But I really LOLd at that that last scene had to rewind that a couple of times lol. Enjoyed this episode more than the first which I felt moved kinda slow.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I think I am in the minority on this one. I did not like this episode at all. It just felt pointless to me. You can have duds like this in a 12 or 20 episode season, but when you only are doing 8 episodes everyone of them should be good. This just felt like a filler episode you would see in the middle of a season on a CW show to me. To me this is probably the weakest episode of the series so far.

I can understand people not enjoying an episode on its own merits but don't really get the complaints about episodes being 'filler'. While it is a serial, season 1 made it pretty clear that while there will be a couple of episodes that advance the plot in a major way, most episodes are either pretty much self-contained or only nudge the plot forward a notch or so. Just seems like people should be used to that by now. I don't expect to see Moff Gideon show up very much (if at all) until the penultimate episode, for instance.

I was prepared to find season 2 disappointing as i figured studio execs would find some way to ruin the show, but so far so good.

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    I think I am in the minority on this one. I did not like this episode at all. It just felt pointless to me. You can have duds like this in a 12 or 20 episode season, but when you only are doing 8 episodes everyone of them should be good. This just felt like a filler episode you would see in the middle of a season on a CW show to me. To me this is probably the weakest episode of the series so far.
    I have reconciled myself with The Mandalorian being a side-story telling kind of tale lol! i'm just glad at least the monsters of the week look so cinematic

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    The gag of baby Yoda eating eggs was funny throughout the episode. But I really LOLd at that that last scene had to rewind that a couple of times lol. Enjoyed this episode more than the first which I felt moved kinda slow.
    It was horrifying for me to see him eating those eggs. I knew the kid loved violence but this was unnecessary
    Last edited by Tofali; 11-09-2020 at 11:19 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    I have reconciled myself with The Mandalorian being a side-story telling kind of tale lol! i'm just glad at least the monsters of the week look so cinematic

It was horrifying for me to see him eating those eggs. I knew the kid loved violence but this was unnecessary
    LOL. He's evil

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    I don't agree that this was filler. At all. The plot, maybe. But the core of the episode, Mando being paired with a parent even as The Child repeatedly misbehaves is essential character work.

Din Djarin has always understood that he is resopnsible for The Child's physical safety. But unless he retuns it to it's kind swiftly, he's got a lot more responsibility than that. And he needs to be shown that, and see that he may need to do some things differently.

That's what this episose started doing.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

This episode was the first to advance the plot along somewhat with the arrival of an established character and the return of an old enemy. Was over a little quicker than I liked but at least we have a high chance of a familiar face in the next episode.

Hopefully episode 3 will put a stop to all the complaints about the Child eating frog lady's eggs, since she didn't seem to notice any were missing, or if she did she wasn't upset about it in the least.

Another fun episode, if short. Was fun to spend some time on a planet that the various aquatic-looking species call home.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by basbash99 View Post
    Hopefully episode 3 will put a stop to all the complaints about the Child eating frog lady's eggs, since she didn't seem to notice any were missing, or if she did she wasn't upset about it in the least.

Another fun episode, if short. Was fun to spend some time on a planet that the various aquatic-looking species call home.
    It was funny that the Mon Calamari barkeep character literally sets up the Mandolarian into a trap. (Okay the Quarrens were probably really to blame but still.)

Quarrens seem to sort of always be the sort of "bad guys" on the planet the two share (Mon Cal/Dac/whatever). Probably because the first time we see one is hanging out with Jabba, and one of them among the Seperatists in AOTC and ROTS doesn't help.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

I would like more background of the Mandalorian house Din belongs. His utter shock of the other mando's removing their helmets was funny to me. I didn't think they would be that isolated.

I wasn't expecting to see the reunion between a frog woman and a lizard man be so heartwarming.

I guess in hindsight Din's sect's obsession with keeping their helmet on and fervent belief in the Way should've been a clue he was part of the Mandalorian equivalent of an extreme religious cult, although "This is the Way" is shared with all Mandalorians. I guess their more benign than Death Watch was.

It was pretty cool seeing Bo-Katan in the flesh, and to see Katey Sackhoff play her beyond a voiceover, although poor girl is still trying to restore Mandalore for the umpteenth time. Seems like there's been a severe disconnect between Mandalorians to the point where some think the planet has become inhospitable while others know they just need to fight off the Empire to reclaim it. And Bo thinks she needs to get the Darksaber back from Gideon to achieve it, so I imagine Din's quest and their quest for Gideon's Darksaber will collide.

Sometimes I wonder how the rebels didn't defeat the Empire sooner with how dumb these guys are.

Is that the first time we've seen someone in Star Wars use the sci-fi equivalent to a poison tooth?

It's weird to see Mando not be the one dropping the most bodies, but he did get his big moment at the end.

Baby Yoda discovering those eggs turning into babies had to be quite the shock.

Probably the worst kept secret of the season was Ahsoka's appearance, so at least they're just outright confirming out loud that she's showing up. What she doing on a specific planet though? Is this supposed to be after they found Ezra? Will Sabine and Rex be there wit hher?

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

The incompetence of the Empire in this episode made for some great comedy.

Mighty Member

That was so much fun. Some good jokes, a teachable moment for The Child, and the guest stars. This was all good.

Also, is this the first time we've seen a Gozanti in live action? This felt so much like watching an episode of Clone Wars or Rebels, just with live action. It is exactly what I want from this show.