Page 28 of 107 FirstFirst ... 182425262728293031323878 ... LastLast

Thread: The Mandalorian

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    Subject to change, but as of what has come before, it is the official position of the people behind Star Wars that, in Disney canon anyway, Boba Fett is not a Mandalorian. Jango Fett was not a Mandalorian. They are just bounty hunters who happen to wear (probably stolen) Mandalorian armor.

We'll see if that gets addressed at all on this show, and it both certainly could, and could easily be changed when it is. But I kind of like it as a detail, that Jango and Boba were just using the gear to boost their own reputations without any real connection to the culture or people. It adds a veneer of imperialist cultural appropriation to the pair that I think suits their role in the story (being the chief jobbers in Star Wars history, anything that adds to the humor of their supposed, but completely unearned, badass credibility works for me).
    Though Jango was not there is a missing part of Boba's history between the clone wars and the OT. And if it gets a chance I hope the show addresses this time. Was he a foundling or was he like Jango and an imposter? I would think that the Mando would have known of Fett so would have recognized the armor when he saw it, and going by his reaction it seems to me that he became a Mandalorian. I could be wrong.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I think the theory that Mando just belongs to a more extreme sect is much simpler. The fewer complications the better.
    Season 1 showed that he was rescued by the Death Watch and they adhered to the older traditions, so it makes sense that Din Djarin would too.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Season 1 showed that he was rescued by the Death Watch and they adhered to the older traditions, so it makes sense that Din Djarin would too.
    The only problem being that we've spent time with Death Watch, and they DIDN'T do things the way Djarin does. They were more traditional Mandalorians, but not to the extreme of The Way. We saw their leadership take their helmets off all the time, and they were far more concerned with House and Clan than anything we've seen from foundling Din Djarin. Hell, the Death Watch colors and logo belong to House Viszla, and Pre Viszla definitely didn't conform to this standard.

Even as late as a decade or so before The Mandalorian, the leadership of Mandalore itself had no issue with removing their helmets. So there's clearly a story angle here. (Or Disney just doesn't care anymore and threw out all of Rebels and a good chunk of Clone Wars. But do you really think that's the case when Filoni is so involved?) I don't expect it will be a major thing this season, though you never know. But they do owe the audience some kind of explanation at some point, because either something significant changed between the last two times we've seen the Darksaber, or Din Djarin is from some kind of offshoot sect/cult. Or, and here's the fun part... both. We already know something happened on Mandalore since we've been there last. And both their reduced numbers, their life in hiding, and the fact Gideon has the Darksaber suggests whatever it was didn't go well for the Mandalorians.

Alternatively, they could just have it both ways. Maybe what we've seen of the Creed is unique to foundlings, and they have to endure harsher standards in order to demonstrate their commitment. Perhaps high ranking house officials and leaders are allowed to remove their helmets, but not rank and file or foundling Mandos. We'll have to see how they play it. It could go a lot of different ways right now, and come from a lot of different angles.

Subject to change, but as of what has come before, it is the official position of the people behind Star Wars that, in Disney canon anyway, Boba Fett is not a Mandalorian. Jango Fett was not a Mandalorian. They are just bounty hunters who happen to wear (probably stolen) Mandalorian armor.

We'll see if that gets addressed at all on this show, and it both certainly could, and could easily be changed when it is. But I kind of like it as a detail, that Jango and Boba were just using the gear to boost their own reputations without any real connection to the culture or people. It adds a veneer of imperialist cultural appropriation to the pair that I think suits their role in the story (being the chief jobbers in Star Wars history, anything that adds to the humor of their supposed, but completely unearned, badass credibility works for me).
    The sticking point with people online is that the person who denounced the Fett's connection to Mandalore wasn't the most reliable source, so this is probably the opportunity to really clarify one way or another. I know at the time Filoni was just going off what George believed, that the Fett's weren't Mandalorian, but maybe now he has a chance to have his cake and eat it too.

Are we still treating it as canon that Boba killed Cad Bane?
    The only problem being that we've spent time with Death Watch, and they DIDN'T do things the way Djarin does. They were more traditional Mandalorians, but not to the extreme of The Way. We saw their leadership take their helmets off all the time, and they were far more concerned with House and Clan than anything we've seen from foundling Din Djarin. Hell, the Death Watch colors and logo belong to House Viszla, and Pre Viszla definitely didn't conform to this standard.

Even as late as a decade or so before The Mandalorian, the leadership of Mandalore itself had no issue with removing their helmets. So there's clearly a story angle here. (Or Disney just doesn't care anymore and threw out all of Rebels and a good chunk of Clone Wars. But do you really think that's the case when Filoni is so involved?) I don't expect it will be a major thing this season, though you never know. But they do owe the audience some kind of explanation at some point, because either something significant changed between the last two times we've seen the Darksaber, or Din Djarin is from some kind of offshoot sect/cult. Or, and here's the fun part... both. We already know something happened on Mandalore since we've been there last. And both their reduced numbers, their life in hiding, and the fact Gideon has the Darksaber suggests whatever it was didn't go well for the Mandalorians.

Alternatively, they could just have it both ways. Maybe what we've seen of the Creed is unique to foundlings, and they have to endure harsher standards in order to demonstrate their commitment. Perhaps high ranking house officials and leaders are allowed to remove their helmets, but not rank and file or foundling Mandos. We'll have to see how they play it. It could go a lot of different ways right now, and come from a lot of different angles.
    Considering the rumors about Bo-Katan and Sabine showing up, that might finally clarify the exact nature of the creed with Mandalorian culture.

There was a rumor well before the Mandalorian and even before TLJ came out that the story team was talking about a Star Wars Story being the fall of Mandalore at the hands of a rising First Order, led by Phasma. Which is how she got her armor. And Bobo Fett was supposed to take center stage. But then the R1 and Solo pitch were taken and we started hearing rumors of the Obi film (which is now a show, too).

I kind of wonder if we're getting something like that but instead of the FO, an Imperial remnant swoops into Mandalore? And instead of Phasma getting armor, it is the Moff taking the Darksaber?
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 11-04-2020 at 12:24 PM.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Incredible Member Robotech Master's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

Are we still treating it as canon that Boba killed Cad Bane?
    Before the cancellation that was the intended finish to Cad Bane's storyline, with the final exchange of their duel being the shot that killed Bane and the shot that dented Boba's armor.

So that very well could still be the case, but since they didn't get around to it in the last Disney+ season, it still technically hasn't appeared in a story and they could freely take it back or do something different if they want.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotech Master View Post
    Before the cancellation that was the intended finish to Cad Bane's storyline, with the final exchange of their duel being the shot that killed Bane and the shot that dented Boba's armor.

So that very well could still be the case, but since they didn't get around to it in the last Disney+ season, it still technically hasn't appeared in a story and they could freely take it back or do something different if they want.
    I've seen speculation they might adapt it with the Bad Batch series, which would make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Ronin View Post
    Though Jango was not there is a missing part of Boba's history between the clone wars and the OT. And if it gets a chance I hope the show addresses this time. Was he a foundling or was he like Jango and an imposter? I would think that the Mando would have known of Fett so would have recognized the armor when he saw it, and going by his reaction it seems to me that he became a Mandalorian. I could be wrong.
    Young Boba in Clone Wars wears armor that definitely isn't the traditional Mandalorian look (It kind of looks like a cross between Kylo Ren's look and Dark Knight Rises Bane), so I'm kind of curious what makes him decide to eventually switch to his father's basic look. It's also unclear in the new canon if Boba's armor is a modified form of Jango's or something different. After all Boba's ship is the same as Jango's with some cosmetic changes too.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

iMan 42s

Boba and Jango wear different helmets. And in the Clone Wars Boba uses his father's helmet in part of an explosive.

So yeah Boba would definitely be rocking his own helmet in that case. Not to mention that Boba doesn't wear the shin/thigh armor or have boot caps like Jango. Boba also possess a small kidney plate Jango doesn't have. Boba's gauntlets in ESB are also different to what he has in ROTJ. Other media has since depicted him in his ROTJ outfit but it's still notable since the alternate outfit is visible on film.

I mean it's possible he inherited some of it from Jango but he would've added a bit and discarded some parts.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Mighty Member

Wonder if their will be a Slave-1 vs Razor Crest space fight?

Quote Originally Posted by tabo61 View Post
    Wonder if their will be a Slave-1 vs Razor Crest space fight?
    Man, what a geek moment it would be when Slave-1 shows up .

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Chapter 10 is another great episode, nothing as fan service’s but solid nonetheless. I kind of like the approach of more self contained stories but that also utilise elements from previous episodes in interesting ways - this one alludes back to Chapter Six somewhat in particular (which was for many I gather their favourite episode of the first season).

The main threat was pretty awesome too. Fairly sure I have seen them before in one of the guide books?

Yeah, they're from Ralph Mcquarrie's work-which has been a HUGE influence on Disney's design work for pretty much everything they've done. The basic concept for last episode also might've been inspired by a Mcquarrie piece of Sand People facing a Krayt dragon (although Mcquarrie's design is quite different).

One of the weirder things about the Spiders from the old canon is that several of Dagobah's trees are actually petrified versions of the spiders.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Just found it in my copy of The Illustrated Star Wars Universe!

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Knobby_white_spider

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Yeah, they're from Ralph Mcquarrie's work-which has been a HUGE influence on Disney's design work for pretty much everything they've done. The basic concept for last episode also might've been inspired by a Mcquarrie piece of Sand People facing a Krayt dragon (although Mcquarrie's design is quite different).

One of the weirder things about the Spiders from the old canon is that several of Dagobah's trees are actually petrified versions of the spiders.
    Yeah, if I remember correctly the Spiders were part of the life cycle of the tree; they start as a seed and then a sprout and then a sapling just like a normal tree...and then boom walking spider like creature eating animals and other swamp creatures until they gain enough mass to become a full grown tree.

It always reminded me of the half plant, half animals from the Dark Crystal.

At any rate though not as crazy as all that here they were cool none the less and made for another excellent episode.