Page 64 of 107 FirstFirst ... 145460616263646566676874 ... LastLast

Thread: The Mandalorian

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    To be honest I wonder if the show would deviate from its formula of Din having a vague main quest that constantly gets interrupted by episodic side quests.
    That’s actually kind of how I’m thinking about my idea; Din’s vague quest would be helping Bo reunite the Mandalorians using the darksaber, but the episodic side quests would change up, from classic duels, to accomplishing great feats as “favors” of course, to more peacefully recruiting someone.

Season 2 saw them fully merge the lone gun fighter and knightly quest aspect of the show - Din traveling around and still having weekly adventures, but clearly still building on the same overall quest and character development.

Or they could just have him be a hunter for another season, and have the background story show him slowly getting less and less satisfied with that old life.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

I don't think he needs to abandon the Jedi to become a Mandalorian per se. Heck, the Darksaber was forged by a Mandalorian Jedi.
    To add another wrinkle, the Jedi and Sith are not the only people in the galaxy to know of and use the force. We have Chirrut Imwe in ROGUE ONE, Maz Kanata in the sequels, and the Force Witches on Danthomir. There are also groups that seem to interact with the Force in a devotional way. The people of Exogol were evidently Dark Side cultists, and the Fish Ladies of Ach-to seemed to be Light Side cultists. The “new” novels also mention the Anchorites of Jakku and the Chiss Navigators. Heck, if you want to really dig deep into the depths of Star Wars history, there are even the Whils.

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    That’s actually kind of how I’m thinking about my idea; Din’s vague quest would be helping Bo reunite the Mandalorians using the darksaber, but the episodic side quests would change up, from classic duels, to accomplishing great feats as “favors” of course, to more peacefully recruiting someone.

Season 2 saw them fully merge the lone gun fighter and knightly quest aspect of the show - Din traveling around and still having weekly adventures, but clearly still building on the same overall quest and character development.

Or they could just have him be a hunter for another season, and have the background story show him slowly getting less and less satisfied with that old life.
    Well, without Boba, he's probably going to still need a ship so he might be stuck with Bo-Katan and her group indefinitely.

Unless he got to take something from Gideon's ship but he probably doesn't want to fly anything that's ex-Imperial.

Extraordinary Member

Well, without Boba, he's probably going to still need a ship so he might be stuck with Bo-Katan and her group indefinitely.

Unless he got to take something from Gideon's ship but he probably doesn't want to fly anything that's ex-Imperial.
    And fhat’s kind of my POV; a great place for Din at the start of TLJ is to mix his search for purpose with a purpose Bo tries to provide for him, and then have that inadvertently get him his own motivation.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

And fhat’s kind of my POV; a great place for Din at the start of TLJ is to mix his search for purpose with a purpose Bo tries to provide for him, and then have that inadvertently get him his own motivation.
    Like Bo slowly starts edging more and more the wrong way and Din says, "Enough."

???
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

I'm kind of curious what the upcoming novel and comic series are going to do/be set. Grogu-less adventures or with Grogu, just adventures set between the seasons or episodes? Maybe deal more with Din's backstory before, perhaps maybe his earlier years with the Death Watch during the Clone Wars?
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    I'm kind of curious what the upcoming novel and comic series are going to do/be set. Grogu-less adventures or with Grogu, just adventures set between the seasons or episodes? Maybe deal more with Din's backstory before, perhaps maybe his earlier years with the Death Watch during the Clone Wars?
    I guess they can go in several different directions with the novel and comic, but I feel they'll probably tell stories with Grogu.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Like Bo slowly starts edging more and more the wrong way and Din says, "Enough."

???
    What do you think will be the thing that will cause Din to say it?

Quote Originally Posted by MASTER-OF-SUPRISE View Post
    What do you think will be the thing that will cause Din to say it?
    Something with Foundlings or perhaps aligning with some FO or Empire people.

A lot could do it.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Extraordinary Member

Something with Foundlings or perhaps aligning with some FO or Empire people.

A lot could do it.
    Here’s some options I see:

1. The simple adversity of trying to unite Mandalore when Bo has the political power with the Houses and Din has the saber overcomes their alliance and makes a confrontation between them inevitable - too many Mandos will only follow the one who holds the darksaber against all comers, and refuse to serve Bo even if Din pledges himself to her, so Bo inevitably ends up believing she has to defeat Din or defeat Din’s killer. Either we end up with her tricking Din into giving her a pretext to challenge him, or sends him on a “Uriah Gambit” mission against impossible odds, and they are set against each other afterwards.

2. Din serves Bo-Karan faithfully, and she manages to avoid deliberately seeking to fight him in spite of the temptation... but some understandable sticking point arises where they end up dug in on opposite sides, and without Bo really turning “evil” towards Din, they end up recognizing they need to resolve their dispute through combat. This would be something like Din believing they need the support of the Republic against Thrawn, but Bo’s been avoiding that due to a mix of pride and humiliation at allying with the Republic backfiring on her during the Clone Wars. Something like this, though could mean that Din could defeat a still honorable enough Bo that she could yield and live instead of die fighting.

3. Like #2, the two are loyal to each other, but Din ends up being sent against someone he believes shouldn’t be an enemy and may feel is either worthy of his services themselves, or should have their objections to Bo as Mandalore heard. Think like this: Bo ends up opposed politically by either Sabine Wren (last winner of the Darksaber before Din thanks to her duel with Saxon, and likely a pro-Republic sympathizer) or Fenn Rau (leader of the Protectors and their political power form guarding previous Mandalores and Satine, also likely a pro-Republic sympathizer). Bo ends up sending Din against them, but they convince him that Bo is wrong. Here, you could make it so Din arguably breaks faith with Bo first, but for good reasons.

Here’s some options I see:

1. The simple adversity of trying to unite Mandalore when Bo has the political power with the Houses and Din has the saber overcomes their alliance and makes a confrontation between them inevitable - too many Mandos will only follow the one who holds the darksaber against all comers, and refuse to serve Bo even if Din pledges himself to her, so Bo inevitably ends up believing she has to defeat Din or defeat Din’s killer. Either we end up with her tricking Din into giving her a pretext to challenge him, or sends him on a “Uriah Gambit” mission against impossible odds, and they are set against each other afterwards.

2. Din serves Bo-Karan faithfully, and she manages to avoid deliberately seeking to fight him in spite of the temptation... but some understandable sticking point arises where they end up dug in on opposite sides, and without Bo really turning “evil” towards Din, they end up recognizing they need to resolve their dispute through combat. This would be something like Din believing they need the support of the Republic against Thrawn, but Bo’s been avoiding that due to a mix of pride and humiliation at allying with the Republic backfiring on her during the Clone Wars. Something like this, though could mean that Din could defeat a still honorable enough Bo that she could yield and live instead of die fighting.

3. Like #2, the two are loyal to each other, but Din ends up being sent against someone he believes shouldn’t be an enemy and may feel is either worthy of his services themselves, or should have their objections to Bo as Mandalore heard. Think like this: Bo ends up opposed politically by either Sabine Wren (last winner of the Darksaber before Din thanks to her duel with Saxon, and likely a pro-Republic sympathizer) or Fenn Rau (leader of the Protectors and their political power form guarding previous Mandalores and Satine, also likely a pro-Republic sympathizer). Bo ends up sending Din against them, but they convince him that Bo is wrong. Here, you could make it so Din arguably breaks faith with Bo first, but for good reasons.
    I really like #2 but #3 has more mileage and keeps the Mandos out of the spotlight of the FO. I think that is more plausible.

Regardless, it's going to be fun ride!

Extraordinary Member

I really like #2 but #3 has more mileage and keeps the Mandos out of the spotlight of the FO. I think that is more plausible.

Regardless, it's going to be fun ride!
    Half the fun of the idea of Bo as Din’s boss is the idea that any argument that gets sufficiently “chippy” could signal them turning on each other, because the political power of winning the darkside is just that valuable to Bo.

It’s a bit like if you took the classic King Arthur and Lancelot set-up, and replaced the bullshit love triangle nonsense the French interjected into the plot with Excalibur/The Sword In The Stone instead.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
    I know I’m late to the game on this but the last episode of Mandalorian was all I’ve wanted from SW since RoTJ. Peak Luke being an absolute beast just owning the empire. Perfect ending and the Luke we should’ve got in the sequel trilogy. I couldn’t be happier.
    Just finished S2 today, and that was my feeling as well. Still, while it's the Jedi many of us wanted to see Luke become after RotJ, it's not something I'd like to see an ongoing or central role built around. Luke's ascention and struggles were more compelling than seeing him blithely bulldoze whole armies. Fun once, and that's enough.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Just finished S2 today, and that was my feeling as well. Still, while it's the Jedi many of us wanted to see Luke become after RotJ, it's not something I'd like to see an ongoing or central role built around. Luke's ascention and struggles were more compelling than seeing him blithely bulldoze whole armies. Fun once, and that's enough.
    Personally I would enjoy weekly Jedi adventures with Luke in his prime, but to each their own .

Boisterously Confused

Personally I would enjoy weekly Jedi adventures with Luke in his prime, but to each their own .
    I wouldn't mind seeing him regularly, but watching him deus ex machina-ing through the CGI every week would get old. It's fun occasionally, but there's a reason The Spectre struggles to hold a title.