Page 16 of 107 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819202666 ... LastLast

Thread: The Mandalorian

So, Just read something that hinted to Boba and Jango Fett not being real Mandalorian. There are even hints that Jango came about the armor in a less than honorable way. This series is hinting that the Mandalorians have become more of a way of life that someone can be brought into at an early age rather than be born into it. With a civil war and an imperial purge I wander if "They Way" was created to keep the Mandolarian way of life from completely dying out.

I did like the 4th episode as an ode to the Seven Samurai - Magnificent Seven trope that fits with the mood and atmosphere of the series. Yes it has been done many times before but it was still done well. I like Gina Caruso and thought she did an okay job. Cara Dune is someone that I can see crossing over into comic books and novels. Looking forward to more episodes
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

iMan 42s

I still don't understand why they had it be so vague about Jango's backstory in Disney canon considering so much of what people liked about him and his relationship with the clones would spin out of that backstory then awkwardly inserted back into canon as if to say nothing ever happened but scorched Earth the Fett family anyways.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

I just plain choose not to believe that Jango and Boba aren't Mandalorians.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I'm the same way.

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by MASTER-OF-SUPRISE View Post
    I'm the same way.
    Ditto for me.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Mighty Member

Our of curiosity, why?

Boba works fine without it, given his Clone Wars era backstory in the prequels. Jango I'll admit gets a little weird. It was supposedly always GL's intent that he was just using the armor to leech off the rep, but there isn't anything in the films to actually suggest that (save perhaps the fact that both father and son get chumped, but that's a different issue altogether). I'm just not sure what it adds to the character to have him not be Mandalorian, or what the Mandos gain by him not being one of them.

Honestly, and especially given the Deathwatch stuff in Clone Wars, I think things would have worked better if Jango was a renegade Mando. Defying the New Mandalorian cultural shift. In that way he's both a foreshadowing of the Deathwatch in the narrative, and gets to have a little bit of depth to a distressingly blank slate of character. And if anything it deepens the story for the Clone Wars episodes, as the war Satine is so desperate to stay out of is effectively being fought by a Mando army. It's like her worst nightmare made real. It's another way the Sith have pillaged her world, and she doesn't even know it.

But it is what it is. At least if we lose Jango (I don't care in the slightest about Boba, if I'm being honest), we get all the quality development of Mandalore and her people throughout Clone Wars and Rebels. Plus hopefully some more juicy material as this show moves along. The Mandalorian is the Mando we deserve, at last.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    Our of curiosity, why?

Boba works fine without it, given his Clone Wars era backstory in the prequels. Jango I'll admit gets a little weird. It was supposedly always GL's intent that he was just using the armor to leech off the rep, but there isn't anything in the films to actually suggest that (save perhaps the fact that both father and son get chumped, but that's a different issue altogether). I'm just not sure what it adds to the character to have him not be Mandalorian, or what the Mandos gain by him not being one of them.

Honestly, and especially given the Deathwatch stuff in Clone Wars, I think things would have worked better if Jango was a renegade Mando. Defying the New Mandalorian cultural shift. In that way he's both a foreshadowing of the Deathwatch in the narrative, and gets to have a little bit of depth to a distressingly blank slate of character. And if anything it deepens the story for the Clone Wars episodes, as the war Satine is so desperate to stay out of is effectively being fought by a Mando army. It's like her worst nightmare made real. It's another way the Sith have pillaged her world, and she doesn't even know it.

But it is what it is. At least if we lose Jango (I don't care in the slightest about Boba, if I'm being honest), we get all the quality development of Mandalore and her people throughout Clone Wars and Rebels. Plus hopefully some more juicy material as this show moves along. The Mandalorian is the Mando we deserve, at last.
    I would argue the renegade Mando idea makes it better. Every time a culture shifts there's bound to be hold outs. So I think nothing is lost by having him be a Mando. Duchess Satine could still be a reformist. The Mandalorian can also still happen just have him be part of another cultural shift. So taking Jango away from Mandalorian history doesn't really add anything.

Then again I would also argue that Jango wasn't as badly chumped as some might think. I mean he took out a Jedi and died to a very skilled Jedi Master. So not too bad a way to go out.

Charlotta

I must say, after the crap-storm that has been the modern SW spinoffs, the Mandalorian has been a truly refreshing experience.

I just read the Mike Fugere's hit-piece on the series... how can a guy be THIS brainwashed?
    Everything he wrote was pretty much just bashing the actually GOOD series and fascinating prequel story, trying to rise the TRASH sequels and spinoffs on some made-up pedestal.
    How can liking a baby Yoda be sexist?? Excuse me, but that green lil' guy is kinda central part of the saga, and he actually got tons of character-development within the first few minutes on the screen. Unlike certain miss "perfect in every way" Rey.
    White-knighting at its worst... "Some fans this and that" ... more ALL the fans despise anything that followed ep7.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    I still don't understand why they had it be so vague about Jango's backstory in Disney canon considering so much of what people liked about him and his relationship with the clones would spin out of that backstory then awkwardly inserted back into canon as if to say nothing ever happened but scorched Earth the Fett family anyways.
    In the "Creating Mandalore" featurette on The Clone Wars: Season Two DVD set, series director Dave Filoni explained that, according to George Lucas, the Fetts were not Mandalorians. It's not just Disney canon that was vague and pointed to him not being Mandalorian Lucas was was too.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

I thought Faverau let slip that Boba ended up being a Foundling and that gets shown in this show? And Boba ends up adopting the ways of the Mandalorians and inspired the current Mando in our show?

Or is that just a rumor/fan theory?
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by Charlotta View Post
    I must say, after the crap-storm that has been the modern SW spinoffs, the Mandalorian has been a truly refreshing experience.

I just read the Mike Fugere's hit-piece on the series... how can a guy be THIS brainwashed?
    Everything he wrote was pretty much just bashing the actually GOOD series and fascinating prequel story, trying to rise the TRASH sequels and spinoffs on some made-up pedestal.
    How can liking a baby Yoda be sexist?? Excuse me, but that green lil' guy is kinda central part of the saga, and he actually got tons of character-development within the first few minutes on the screen. Unlike certain miss "perfect in every way" Rey.
    White-knighting at its worst... "Some fans this and that" ... more ALL the fans despise anything that followed ep7.
    Welcome to the board! Yes, isn't this a great show and it just feels right!
    I love Baby Yoda and the hot Mr. Mandalorian, Pedro Pascal. I know we probably won't ever see his face, but love him as an actor.
    I hope Jon Fabreau keeps doing and writing this show in season 2 with just good stories and not the SJW crap that has infiltrated so many shows and movies out there.
    They don't represent the majority of Americans.
    Reliving my second childhood.... Making my TPB's take a back seat.....I'm now a new DC Omnibus and Hard Bound Book Collector: Batman: The Golden Age Omni V1 / Legends of the Dark Knight: Jim Aparo Vol. 2 / Gotham Central Omni / Justice League of America Silver Age Omni's V1 & V2 / Superman: The Golden Age Omni V1/ Green Lantern Omni V1
    with many more purchases soon to come.....

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    Our of curiosity, why?

It's just a pointless revision, the entire look and popularity of the Mandlorian warriors among the audience comes from Boba Fett, so to then turn around and say he wasn't a Mandalorian had nothing to do with their culture just makes no sense.

It's just a pointless revision, the entire look and popularity of the Mandlorian warriors among the audience comes from Boba Fett, so to then turn around and say he wasn't a Mandalorian had nothing to do with their culture just makes no sense.
    But totally sounds like a GL thing to do.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Ronin View Post
    In the "Creating Mandalore" featurette on The Clone Wars: Season Two DVD set, series director Dave Filoni explained that, according to George Lucas, the Fetts were not Mandalorians. It's not just Disney canon that was vague and pointed to him not being Mandalorian Lucas was was too.
    That's the way I vaguely remember it also.

The backstory originally was that Boba (and then his dad) were just using the heirloom armor/trading on the rep and weren't real Mandos (them being extinct).

Of course at that point the Mandaloreans had zero backstory to speak of. So Lucas could have changed his mind at any point.

It's not like Jango wasn't also a retcon.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkgirl_70 View Post
    .... not the SJW crap that has infiltrated so many shows and movies out there.
    They don't represent the majority of Americans.
    Exactly - screw the minority!
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 12-04-2019 at 04:38 PM.