Page 14 of 107 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464 ... LastLast

Thread: The Mandalorian

Quote Originally Posted by TriggerWarning View Post
    Luke with 2 minutes of training with Ben manages to outfly Vader longer than any other Rebel pilot even to the point that Vader gets frustrated. Vader was allegedly the best pilot in the galaxy and a Sith Lord yet he had to struggle to beat a force sensitive, he had no training so he can't even be considered a force user or Padawan.
    Vader blasted his R2 unit and would have killed Luke had Han Solo not returned in time to save him. Luke was already considered an exceptional pilot by both Obi-Wan and Biggs, his piloting skills were established several times in story before the final assault. When he destroys the Death Star it is a shot he made many times in the past having "bullseyed wamp rats in his t-16" but he is also coached the whole time by Obi-Wan 's spirit. The rest of the film is mostly Luke getting his ass kicked until someone steps in to save him (sandpeople attack, getting beat up in the cantina, bumbling into the detention center and needing Leia to get them out, etc.)

Luke then only had 1-2 days of training with Yoda and thats being generous as you have to line his training up with the Bespin storyline and still get Luke there in time to see Boba Fett leaving. He then actually is beating Vader in a lightsaber battle, despite no training in lightsaber fighting, until Vader makes him realize he's giving in to the dark side at which point Luke runs away.
    How did you come to the conclusion it was 2-3 days of training? The essential Star Wars Atlas claims "The journey to Bespin takes the Falcon weeks on its backup hyperdrive." (page 186) Even if you don't treat the book as canon, traveling from one solar system to another (Anoat to Bespin) sans hyperdrive would have to take considerably more time than a couple of days. And Luke wasn't beating Vader at all in the Empire Strikes Back, Vader toyed with him until Luke got a lucky strike in, and Vader immediately chopped his hand off afterwards.

There is also lightsaber training on Dagobah in a deleted scene (ESB DVD extras) which while cut from the film, still remained in the novelization and comic book adaptations.

Luke then trains with no one and somehow becomes skilled enough to be a full Jedi.
    Nope, Yoda said Luke wasn't a jedi until he confronts Vader for a second time.

He is the original Star Wars Mary Sue.
    If getting your ass kicked for the majority of 2 out of 3 films is a "Mary Sue" trait, than sure, whatever.

Plus I have a theory about Rey which explain a lot with her. I think she is the genetic daughter of Palpatine. There have been subtle visual hints to this and the mystery of her parentage still exists. I'm betting that the empire impregnated woman across the galaxy with Palpatine DNA trying to breed new Sith Lords and Rey is one of the results. Which is why she'll hear Palpatine's force ghost talking to her in the movie as she has to decide whether to follow her lineage or not.
    Fan theories don't really mean anything.
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"

Quote Originally Posted by abulafia View Post
    i like that the child is resonating with the mando and thus developing the charactor of the protagonist. i am just not sure if had to be a yoda species (50 year old sigh) child.
    i hope they can deliver why it had to be yodalings
    Got it. You're waiting to see how it goes.

I hope they can deliver, too. I am enjoying it.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Well, with the latest episode out it looks like the Obi-Wan mini won't be a play on Seven Samurai as I hoped it might be but the Mandalorian did it right atleast so it's not a huge loss.

Thought it was the weakest one so far, especially since this particular plot has been done quite a bit in a lot of films/TV etc.

Kind of an interesting inverse from ROTJ, where the "primitive" villagers ran circles around multiple AT-STs, whereas here just one-and not even piloted by Imperials-posed more of a threat.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

since we have seen the toilet, how do mando´s eat if they never take of their helmets?
    edit
    watching atm they just brought it up
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

You find out in this episode, and it's going to blow you away. You might want to be sitting on the toilet when you watch it, just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Thought it was the weakest one so far, especially since this particular plot has been done quite a bit in a lot of films/TV etc.
    Agreed.
    Conn Seanery
    CBR Forums Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Brock Samson will show us the way
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

"Hnh. Could Bowie have been a mutant?" ~Dr. Doom (Hellfire Gala 2022)

BANNED

This episode hit different. Supporting cast was great. Sure it wasnt original but it was full of soul. Im sad Cara isnt sticking around.

Extraordinary Member

Baby Yoda was def the star of this episode. Looking forward to seeing more of Carano in the future.

Luke with 2 minutes of training with Ben manages to outfly Vader longer than any other Rebel pilot even to the point that Vader gets frustrated. Vader was allegedly the best pilot in the galaxy and a Sith Lord yet he had to struggle to beat a force sensitive, he had no training so he can't even be considered a force user or Padawan.

Luke then only had 1-2 days of training with Yoda and thats being generous as you have to line his training up with the Bespin storyline and still get Luke there in time to see Boba Fett leaving. He then actually is beating Vader in a lightsaber battle, despite no training in lightsaber fighting, until Vader makes him realize he's giving in to the dark side at which point Luke runs away.

Luke then trains with no one and somehow becomes skilled enough to be a full Jedi.

He is the original Star Wars Mary Sue.

Plus I have a theory about Rey which explain a lot with her. I think she is the genetic daughter of Palpatine. There have been subtle visual hints to this and the mystery of her parentage still exists. I'm betting that the empire impregnated woman across the galaxy with Palpatine DNA trying to breed new Sith Lords and Rey is one of the results. Which is why she'll hear Palpatine's force ghost talking to her in the movie as she has to decide whether to follow her lineage or not.
    Did we see the same duel on Bespin? Because I remember Luke getting his farmboy backside handed to him.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post

Kind of an interesting inverse from ROTJ, where the "primitive" villagers ran circles around multiple AT-STs, whereas here just one-and not even piloted by Imperials-posed more of a threat.
    Yeah, it wasn't the strongest but I really enjoyed the supporting cast so it made up for the kind of rout plot.

Mighty Member

Love the red lights on the AT-ST. Gave it a more frightening look.

I thought this episode was awful. Felt like syfy channel / cw quality of sets, acting and directing. I kept thinking that the cheesiness and obviousness of the plot was going to be a set up and the ending was going to have a twist or something, like if the entire village was killed or they're were secretly bad, but instead it was paint by numbers. Also thought the fighting was awkward. Just because she has boxing/mma doesn't mean it fits or looks good in the context of star wars.
    Also thought it was weird/stupid that the mandolorain forgot about the bounty hunters/trackers.

Not trying to be a nag, but the first three were so strong and this was so bland. Hopefully next episode is better.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by PoorStudent View Post
    Also thought it was weird/stupid that the mandolorain forgot about the bounty hunters/trackers.
    He didn't. The limitation of the tracking fobs appears to be range. The Client gave the Mando last known positional data when he sent him after the Child. That was to get him close enough to get a tracking signal. The Mando was hoping to hide on a more or less random planet, somewhere far from space ports or major settlements, where a tracking fob would likely never ping for somebody just randomly searching.

But somebody (probably from the town at the beginning of the episode, or a surviving Klatoonian raider) tipped off the guild to the fact that the Mando was on that planet. Perhaps even that he had taken up the defense of the village. Which narrowed down the search enough for the bounty hunter to get a fix with the fob. Which is why it was no longer safe for the Mando to leave the Child in the village.

The entire point of the sequence wasn't that the Mando forgot about the hunters, but rather that his plan to evade them had failed. Probably to help set up the inevitable decision for the Mando to take the fight to the people doing the hunting, and put an end to their search once and for all.

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by PoorStudent View Post
    I thought this episode was awful. Felt like syfy channel / cw quality of sets, acting and directing. I kept thinking that the cheesiness and obviousness of the plot was going to be a set up and the ending was going to have a twist or something, like if the entire village was killed or they're were secretly bad, but instead it was paint by numbers. Also thought the fighting was awkward. Just because she has boxing/mma doesn't mean it fits or looks good in the context of star wars.

Not trying to be a nag, but the first three were so strong and this was so bland. Hopefully next episode is better.
    100% agree. Chapter 4 felt like a filler episode from a sci-fi network show. I'm not a SW fan and i have already re-watched the previous 3 episodes numerous times but I don't think I will with this episode. Very mediocre compared to the previous episodes,

Quote Originally Posted by tuck frump View Post
    This episode hit different. Supporting cast was great. Sure it wasnt original but it was full of soul. Im sad Cara isnt sticking around.
    Pretty sure she'll be back. There seems to be some pictures and footage of here from an episode which isn't this one. For instance there's a pic of her with some kind of mini-gun, I don't remember that from this episode.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth