Page 37 of 107 FirstFirst ... 273334353637383940414787 ... LastLast

Thread: The Mandalorian

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    I kinda wish that Ahsoka had brought up the fact that she wasn't a Jedi anymore and thus didn't even necessarily believe in the old traditions that Din was expecting her to teach Grogu.

I am really glad that someone finally brought up that it's not a great idea to take children away from their parents so that they can become space wizards.
    Ironically after seeing this episode this morning I was catching up with Clone Wars and I had the episode where Cad Bane steals potential Jedi babies. Pretty sure those parents are gonna be ticked at the Jedi for having their children in danger even before they actually join.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    I kinda wish that Ahsoka had brought up the fact that she wasn't a Jedi anymore and thus didn't even necessarily believe in the old traditions that Din was expecting her to teach Grogu.

I am really glad that someone finally brought up that it's not a great idea to take children away from their parents so that they can become space wizards.
    I can't help but chuckle anytime someone refers to Jedi as "space wizards."

I was expecting her "I'm no Jedi" line at the beginning, but Feloni knows what he's doing. Firstly, I think it would have been confusing for people who don't know her backstory. (and in the interests of time, there's really no point in explaining it. They don't even bother going into how she and Bo-Katan know each other - they just do, and it's fine) Secondly, I think it's good character development too. She used to say "I'm no Jedi" when the feelings of betrayal were probably still raw and she was distancing herself from them. At this point, the Jedi are all but extinct and it's been decades. She probably feels a bit more kinship with them now even if she technically isn't one anymore. She doesn't deny her Jedi heritage anymore, but I think she also stopped short of describing herself as one too. She could have used it as a reason to not train Grogu, (that name is still going to take some getting used to) but instead they chose to give us an Annakin reference as her reason, which I think they knew would hit harder.

Continue to be pleasantly surprised by how well a job they're doing transitioning characters from the cartoons to live action, Thrawn making a live action debut would be a twenty plus year dream come true

And yeah, that opening with Ahsoka being a straight-up ninja was awesome.

Oh man, live action Thrawn? Yes please!

Really enjoyed Dawson's Ahsoka, she was great.
    Conn Seanery
    CBR Forums Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Brock Samson will show us the way
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

"Hnh. Could Bowie have been a mutant?" ~Dr. Doom (Hellfire Gala 2022)

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Kinda curious now who they'll cast as Thrawn. And possibly Sabine and Ezra too if they turn up. Really must catch up with both Clone Wars and Rebels already.

Extraordinary Member

Lars Mikkelson voiced Thrawn in Rebels, and could easily play the character in live action.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

iMan 42s

Just finished the episode and I thought it was alright, though I feel like it was padding a bit.

Really there just isn't much going on here and what is feels like it's setup for another show. Ahsoka's refusal to train the kid and looking for Thrawn feels very much like it's Filoni trying to get that Rebels spinoff to happen. And really this season feels a little too much like Rebels in the worst ways. Basically with the bad guy essentially pissing about where I assume Gideon will be back at the very end to justify him being in the show (also that the bad guys are almost painfully one dimensional). Din's mission is pretty much the same as well with it just being replaced by the kid needing to decide for himself which is pretty much what happened here. So we've gone nowhere but finally saw a live-action Ahsoka.
    Speaking of which, I think Rosario Dawson's Ahsoka is fine. Never been much a fan of Ahsoka but the material works. That all being said it's a waste of your Michael Biehn. I guess he just wanted to be in Star Wars because this is just a forgettable role. This really is going to be one of those roles that people forget an actor did. Not many lines, he doesn't have a lot to do, he really could've easily been a droid is what I'm getting at. Just some faceless goon who the mando can kill without us even caring..., but you got Michael Biehn who has little if anything to work with.

Aside from learning the kid's name not really much happened here. I'm sure Ahsoka fans will be pleased but this is just another mediocre episode to me. It might run better in a rewatch when the whole season is released but this episode is pretty much passable. C+
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I can't help but chuckle anytime someone refers to Jedi as "space wizards."

I was expecting her "I'm no Jedi" line at the beginning, but Feloni knows what he's doing. Firstly, I think it would have been confusing for people who don't know her backstory. (and in the interests of time, there's really no point in explaining it. They don't even bother going into how she and Bo-Katan know each other - they just do, and it's fine) Secondly, I think it's good character development too. She used to say "I'm no Jedi" when the feelings of betrayal were probably still raw and she was distancing herself from them. At this point, the Jedi are all but extinct and it's been decades. She probably feels a bit more kinship with them now even if she technically isn't one anymore. She doesn't deny her Jedi heritage anymore, but I think she also stopped short of describing herself as one too. She could have used it as a reason to not train Grogu, (that name is still going to take some getting used to) but instead they chose to give us an Annakin reference as her reason, which I think they knew would hit harder.
    I mean, at this point Ahsoka is pretty much a Jedi in every way that still counts. Anyone of note who could see her and how she acts would probably still call her a Jedi. And she remarks how little of them are left now so there's an added reason for her to feel a little more comfortable or willing to regard herself as a Jedi again after so long because if she doesn't it'll be like there are far less left in the galaxy.
    Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    Lars Mikkelson voiced Thrawn in Rebels, and could easily play the character in live action.
    Yeah, either Mikkleson gets prosthetics on or still provides the voice, but I can't see anybody else playing Thrawn.

I did think the villain was a little weak and her acting wasn't so great. She's actually an actress who is more familiar with stunt work so it looks like pretty much the reason she was cast was for the duel at the end. Found it kind of funny that the civilian who helped Mando out but didn't have a big role otherwise apparently designed most of the Disney cruise line. Then again, pretty much every concept artist, producer, sound guy or some guy who happens to be filming something else in the next studio over (Daniel Craig, Tom Hardy) etc. making a cameo was done a lot in the Lucas years as well (Ben Burtt and Richard Marquand are both visible in ROTJ for example, and this was only amplified with the prequels). And that's not even counting those that were cut (N'sync, Princes Harry and William etc.)

Biehn was pretty good though.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 11-27-2020 at 05:50 PM.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

There was that murals at Star Wars Celebration where Thrawn looked suspiciously like Pierce Brosnan...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    Just finished the episode and I thought it was alright, though I feel like it was padding a bit.

Really there just isn't much going on here and what is feels like it's setup for another show. Ahsoka's refusal to train the kid and looking for Thrawn feels very much like it's Filoni trying to get that Rebels spinoff to happen. And really this season feels a little too much like Rebels in the worst ways. Basically with the bad guy essentially pissing about where I assume Gideon will be back at the very end to justify him being in the show (also that the bad guys are almost painfully one dimensional). Din's mission is pretty much the same as well with it just being replaced by the kid needing to decide for himself which is pretty much what happened here. So we've gone nowhere but finally saw a live-action Ahsoka.
    Speaking of which, I think Rosario Dawson's Ahsoka is fine. Never been much a fan of Ahsoka but the material works. That all being said it's a waste of your Michael Biehn. I guess he just wanted to be in Star Wars because this is just a forgettable role. This really is going to be one of those roles that people forget an actor did. Not many lines, he doesn't have a lot to do, he really could've easily been a droid is what I'm getting at. Just some faceless goon who the mando can kill without us even caring..., but you got Michael Biehn who has little if anything to work with.

Aside from learning the kid's name not really much happened here. I'm sure Ahsoka fans will be pleased but this is just another mediocre episode to me. It might run better in a rewatch when the whole season is released but this episode is pretty much passable. C+
    Yeah, it seemed like the premise of this show was supposed to be exploring the fringes of the Star Wars universe, and while it's going to be impossible not to have Imperials and Jedi and all that, the main focus of the show should still be on bounty hunting and fleshing out the wider galaxy beyond the narrow lane that the main heroes inhabit. And it has seemed like the episodes that show Mando in his element have felt more like bad guy of the week type filler, whereas those that tie-in to pre-existing storylines have been better received, but it is sort of the job of the writers to make the premise of this particular show interesting and not just turn it into a cameo fest for fan favorites from Clone Wars, Rebels, or god forbid, the main films.

That all being said it's a waste of your Michael Biehn. I guess he just wanted to be in Star Wars because this is just a forgettable role. This really is going to be one of those roles that people forget an actor did. Not many lines, he doesn't have a lot to do, he really could've easily been a droid is what I'm getting at. Just some faceless goon who the mando can kill without us even caring..., but you got Michael Biehn who has little if anything to work with.
    Why's it a waste? Because Biehn's such a hot commodity that's been heating up the small & big screen with all his great roles lately? Can you name anything he's done in the last 10 years worth mentioning? Not trying to disrespect the guy, but I'm just not buying that a 60+ actor well past his prime is above a minor one-and-done role on a hot show that's not designed to have a large recurring cast. Maybe it's exactly like you said, maybe he just wanted to be in something Star Wars and he got his chance. Sure, you're not going to see a lot of kids hanging up Lang posters, but there's nothing wrong with that.
    Conn Seanery
    CBR Forums Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Brock Samson will show us the way
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

"Hnh. Could Bowie have been a mutant?" ~Dr. Doom (Hellfire Gala 2022)

"I wonder how long till Ahso-"
    *lightsaber bisection*
    "-ka shows up ... Nevermind."

"Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Mighty Member

That all being said it's a waste of your Michael Biehn. I guess he just wanted to be in Star Wars because this is just a forgettable role.
    Aw. You didn't get a hearty chuckle out of Michael Biehn ordering the killer robots to off people? I personally found that gag absolutely hilarious, even if it's a dated reference.