Page 19 of 107 FirstFirst ... 91516171819202122232969 ... LastLast

Thread: The Mandalorian

Incredible Member Robotech Master's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkgirl_70 View Post
    How are THEY tracking Baby Yoda by the way? Is he chipped or something?
    That's something I noticed all the way back in the first episode actually: the "tracking fobs" in this universe seem to be pseudo-magical in their "it just works, don't think about it capacity." Its not that the baby is chipped or anything, as it was strongly implied in the very first episode that tracking fobs just worked at intended for all marks of the guild. My assumption is that its like a DNA scanning device that acts like a compass to the target's location, but unreasonably works on a galactic scale somehow. If it was based on a chip then Mando would know that and definitely work to get it removed as his next step rather than keep running, and the people guarding him for years would likely have removed it too given that the job existed uncompleted long enough for tons of hunts to all have a tracking fob for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotech Master View Post
    That's something I noticed all the way back in the first episode actually: the "tracking fobs" in this universe seem to be pseudo-magical in their "it just works, don't think about it capacity." Its not that the baby is chipped or anything, as it was strongly implied in the very first episode that tracking fobs just worked at intended for all marks of the guild. My assumption is that its like a DNA scanning device that acts like a compass to the target's location, but unreasonably works on a galactic scale somehow. If it was based on a chip then Mando would know that and definitely work to get it removed as his next step rather than keep running, and the people guarding him for years would likely have removed it too given that the job existed uncompleted long enough for tons of hunts to all have a tracking fob for him.
    The best explanation I've read is they use biometric sensors, something that came around the Battle of Jakku because the Rebels were able to tell how many people were on a ship, even with the shields up.

And the fobs only work if you're within a certain range, hence why the Mando said "somebody must've tipped the guild off" when the solider saved the Child.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Incredible Member Robotech Master's Avatar

Yeah, I guess Mando had the child's last known location to at least get within planetary range, but I missed the comment about the guild having to have gotten a tip about them being on that forest planet so I thought it was just the tracking fob that led him there.

Any thoughts on this episode? Some familiar actors, and there's the cameo by some of the series directors as X-wing pilots (Filoni isn't much of an actor though, but it's a small cameo part so it's no big problem)

Also interesting to see a glimpse of Disney's version of the New Republic, something we haven't had that much insight on.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by abulafia View Post
    so, you all seem to not be bothered with cuddle yoda, what about untrained baby helps shady armor man murder an innocent wild creature which only defends its territory and her brood?
    while performing a force feat initiate luke would not have been able to.
    canīt wait to see what it does next
    Yoda was 900 when he died, and he had been training Jedi for 800 years. I think there's much we assume about this 50 year old "baby" that will turn out not to be true.

lol bobby elvis in star wars
    who would have thought of this?

edit1
    uhh, stormtrooper aim dis. 4th wall anyone?

edit2
    okay, the "mando" really is a pussy. gets bossed around on his own ship. suffers jar jar jokes.
    they search his stuff...
    canīt imagine bossk tolerating that...
    didnīt mando accept half of the bounty and said thank you sir in the first episode?
    so weird
    Last edited by abulafia; 12-13-2019 at 05:29 PM.
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Quote Originally Posted by abulafia View Post
    uhh, stormtrooper aim dis. 4th wall anyone?
    That was hilarious. So people have noticed that stormtroopers can't shoot for ****.

-- loved seeing Clancy Brown doing his "Kurgen voice!"
    -- This show is clearly tackling one trope after another - and I'm fine with it. We all know what a "jail breakout movie" is as we knew what the "seven samurai" storyline is supposed to be, etc. It's economical storytelling to get each of these little chapters rolling along so that they don't have to explain the plot - we all know these plots, so they plop in Mando, introduce a few new characters and we're off to the races!
    -- I thought the pacing and action pieces were better executed in this episode than some of the others. The whole time in the third act I kept thinking Bill Burr's mech arm should be watching his back...
    -- I loved the bit with Mando using a door again - I LOLed at the second door when the first one didn't work.
    -- The Disney is peeking through here. Mando's such a bad-ass but never really kills anyone if he can help it- here, he SO goes out of his way to not kill anyone, it's almost annoying.(it was really stupid to take time dragging those guys into a cell when the clock was ticking) He's resorting to letting the New Republic do it for him. I'm thinking they wrote in his hatred for droids just to give him opponents to kill and show he's badass, but somehow droids don't count. (which, they should, shouldn't they?) Still, his "hallway fight scene" where he shows up from behind the droids was the stuff of adolescent fantasies about how badass Boba Fett was supposed to be.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

I don't usually make memes, but when I do they look like this

The newest episode was flipping awesome! Enjoyed the whole jail break angle.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I don't usually make memes, but when I do they look like this
    Don't you meme (mean ) "Bah-ston?" and "Stah-wahs?"

Holy crap! Was "Good Will Hunting" just a "what if Luke Skywalker was born in Boston" alt-universe? The stories are not that dissimilar...
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 12-13-2019 at 06:07 PM.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Don't you meme (mean ) "Bah-ston?" and "Stah-wahs?"
    That would have been perfect, wish I had thought to take it that it to that end.

So I've been binge watching the series. I have to say I really like it. I have to wonder who that guy that was approaching Fennec's body is. I'm kind of surprised we didn't get a teaser about it.

loved seeing elvis bobby in space, loved the worldbuilding, loved the action, loved them setting up his new base, loved the x-wings.
    oh wait, that was a little problematic also. the new republic shots first, asks no questions? didnīt even hail the station?
    they could have had hostages on there... space stations surely are pretty expansive, canī t we confiscate it?
    naah damn it, explosions!

and how did horn man survived the door slamming?
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 12-14-2019 at 02:23 PM.
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Damn, the last episode was really good. Like a good action movie from the early 2000. Pure fun and tension, and nothing more.

"unidentified station, we are receiving a republic transponder signal from your position. explain yourself!"
    "unidentified station, abort fighter launch and stand down. not complying will be met with lethal force"
    *gun boat explodes*
    "unidentified station, your defenses have been disabled. cease and desist, you are now under republic authority."

face it folks, it is lazy writing. why wouldnīt the republic not want to investigate what happened with their prison transport?
    they clearly had space superiority.
    reminds me of the first order blowing up the resistance base which posed NO threat at all.
    but like the FO, they just blow up all possible intelligence available...

so with the station not surrendering and nobody asking questions, mando has a neat new base of operations and nobody looking for him.
    how convenient

btw, x-wing blasts seem to be amped to the max. everything they hit explodes instantly! reminds me of a crashing car instantly exploding in old movies/series. shields, who needs them?
    it is ok for tie fighters, but whole stations and massive turrets (TLJ)?
    as a veteran of the x-wing alliance campaign, i feel cheated
    took me dozens of runs to take down a pirate/smuggler/merc station
    Last edited by abulafia; 12-14-2019 at 03:50 PM.