Page 65 of 107 FirstFirst ... 155561626364656667686975 ... LastLast

Thread: The Mandalorian

Extraordinary Member

Eh, Luke cut his way through droids, like any Jedi would, with the understated but hilarious implication being that the Dark Troopers were next-gen super soldiers only for opponents who don’t carry laser-swords and have their own deflection capabilities because the designers didn’t consider Jedi as an enemy. Ahsoka would have cut through them just as easily, and she’s getting her own show.

I don’t really want a live-action Luke show, since I don’t quite trust their ability to overcome the uncanny valley well enough for it and don’t want a recast... but I would want a cartoon or video game with him. And if they gave him a suitably epic story and opponent for it, or would almost certainly be successful.

The trick with any post-ROTJ Luke story is NOT that the character is automatically over-powered or something ridiculous like that - it’s an excuse offered up sometimes as an indirect defense of TLJ’s take on the character. The fact of the matter is that a powerful, conventional, and badass but still challenged Luke can fit perfectly into the timeline for either TLJ lovers or haters: to one, it’s the way Luke is supposed to be, while to the other, it’s his high point before his fall. Even Luke’s “Skywalker Strength” isn’t a detriment to real drama - anyone who argues otherwise is being disingenuous, just as people who think that alone was Rey’s problem in the ST are, as creating compelling conflicts is the key (which Rey had against Kylo until the ST decided to prostitute her on the altar of Ben Solo.)

The trick is how much they may want to be ambitious with Luke. There’s a part of me that is suspicious that some people at LFL would prefer to not have a conventional Luke come out who matches or even surpasses the dramatic payoff and investment of TLJ!Luke, but without angering as many fans and being generally more popular as well. There’s a bit of a mea culpa there that I can see some consciously or subconsciously trying to avoid by refusing to give him a dramatic story in that inter-trilogy period, either in intentional defense of having the TLJ story further criticized as unnessecary and banal, or out of a subconscious self-fulfilling prophecy.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Wonder if any future Luke between trilogy stories would also focus on his Jedi archaeology-while he did indeed take on apprentices like Leia, Grogu and eventually Ben and his class, there's also a strong sense that he also developed an interest in Jedi artifacts, such as the Wayfinder and of course the Ach-To Jedi temple.

You can even fit a live-action Aphra in there somewhere, and maybe Lando as ROS hinted.

I think it's also possible that Luke gave up twice-Leia turned her back on her training when she got her vision of Ben dying; maybe he also failed with Grogu somehow (or Din took him back etc) and decided to give it a break before Ben came of age.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Wonder if any future Luke between trilogy stories would also focus on his Jedi archaeology-while he did indeed take on apprentices like Leia, Grogu and eventually Ben and his class, there's also a strong sense that he also developed an interest in Jedi artifacts, such as the Wayfinder and of course the Ach-To Jedi temple.

You can even fit a live-action Aphra in there somewhere, and maybe Lando as ROS hinted.

I think it's also possible that Luke gave up twice-Leia turned her back on her training when she got her vision of Ben dying; maybe he also failed with Grogu somehow (or Din took him back etc) and decided to give it a break before Ben came of age.
    On another forum, there’s a speculation that one way to try and rebuild Luke’s fanbase some more would be to “cheat” in every way they could - have him train/get trained with some other OT era Jedi acolytes in an informal way as well as continue Grogu’s training, and then have *that* period of his life end before he starts the Jedi Temple and formal training that Darth Affluneza Ben Solo destroys in his hissy fit.

Because if card games and Tv shows, we now have four young but adult Jedi confirmed alive during the ending of the OT, with another MIA but likely still kicking: Luke and Leia (the OT), Ahsoka (The Mandalorian and her own show,) Kyle Katarn (Star Wars: The Card Game - Galactic Ambtions), and Ezra Bridger (the goal of Ahsoka and Sbaine’s quest after Thrawn.)

The speculation goes that one way to fuse in some Legends elements with the ST would be to make it so Luke trained alongside Kyle Katarn, Ahsoka, and Ezra at some point, as well as possibly others (with the “Holy Grail” character being a reintroduced Mara Jade), so that they share responsibility for each other's legacies, and have those characters reconnect alongside Grogu with Rey and Finn to restart the Order post-ST. To go further, you could have Luke’s temple include someone like Jacen Syndulla, then simply have some tragedy befall him to get him trapped in carbonate or marooned on some world, and joking them as well.

The end result? Give the audience a storyline where Luke’s legacy *does* include a rebuilt Jedi Order that the audience gets to see built in an asymmetrical manner, one where Rey gets integrated into it instead of getting screwed by having LFL just make her it’s only founder in an aggravating way.

It would contradict the intent of the ST, and TLJ especially... but I don’t see that as a bad thing.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

iMan 42s

It's entirely possible Grogu just wasn't at the temple but it's basically the problem of creating new Jedi in a period where we know they will die. Every Jedi that Filoni or otherwise creates has an expiration date (unless you're Ahsoka who I swear Filoni will write to his god damned grave). It's entirely possible Grogu just doesn't complete his training since I doubt Filoni will kill a baby off.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    It's entirely possible Grogu just wasn't at the temple but it's basically the problem of creating new Jedi in a period where we know they will die. Every Jedi that Filoni or otherwise creates has an expiration date (unless you're Ahsoka who I swear Filoni will write to his god damned grave). It's entirely possible Grogu just doesn't complete his training since I doubt Filoni will kill a baby off.
    If I could edit one part of that Prequel, it would have been that scene with the younglings. Anakin was a Jedi Hero. I refuse to believe that overnight, he has no problems killing kids.

Its really easy to fix too. Thank goodness we never saw Anakin actually perform the act.

"Anakin spares the children but gives them a grave warning. Forget your teachings and never use the Force again or else. After what happened those kids didn't need further convincing"
    Last edited by Godzilla2099; 02-08-2021 at 03:22 PM.

iMan 42s

Unfortunately material while doesn't do it very much implies Anakin did. When Obi-wan and Yoda are going through the temple they comment that kids had been killed with a lightsaber and Anakin being the only one present points to him being the one that did it. This would be easy to write off since we know the Inquisitors spawned out of this but Obi-wan even admits to Padme that he even saw footage of Anakin killing kids (whether this is in the chamber or otherwise is unclear). So even if the Inquisitors would be responsible for the bodies Obi-wan and Yoda saw, Anakin is still on footage doing so even if it isn't presented to the audience. Flashbacks in the Darth Vader comics point to this with Anakin admitting to Sidious he did and during a vision when Cylo shut down his suit he admits it was easy to kill the manifestation of Anakin because he's killed children.

The only people Anakin spared seemingly are the future Inquisitors had he encountered them that night.
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

If that was anybody else other than Obi-Wan, it'd kill my hopes to have that undone. However, Obi-Wan's Words aren't exactly...clear

Luke Skywalker : Ben! Why didn't you tell me? You told me that Darth Vader betrayed and murdered my father.

Obi-Wan : Your father... was seduced by the Dark Side of the Force. He ceased to be the Jedi Anakin Skywalker and "became" the Sith Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So, what I told you was true... from a certain point of view.

Luke Skywalker : A certain point of view?

iMan 42s

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla2099 View Post
    If that was anybody else other than Obi-Wan, it'd kill my hopes to have that undone. However, Obi-Wan's Words aren't exactly...clear

Luke Skywalker : Ben! Why didn't you tell me? You told me that Darth Vader betrayed and murdered my father.

Obi-Wan : Your father... was seduced by the Dark Side of the Force. He ceased to be the Jedi Anakin Skywalker and "became" the Sith Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So, what I told you was true... from a certain point of view.

Luke Skywalker : A certain point of view?
    He lied about who Vader was so Luke would be less conflicted about killing him. In ROTS he sees the wounds and security footage as well as Vader himself would lay claim to the deed. He also slaughters the Tusken children by his own admission in AOTC so he regardless doesn't get off on being a child murderer.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    He lied about who Vader was so Luke would be less conflicted about killing him. In ROTS he sees the wounds and security footage as well as Vader himself would lay claim to the deed. He also slaughters the Tusken children by his own admission in AOTC so he regardless doesn't get off on being a child murderer.
    Anakin finally reunites with his mother years later only only to speak with her seconds before she died from the torture she suffered from the Sand People. Seeing that happen to your mom? That's good enough to piss anybody off over the edge (doesn't help that he's a teenager). Not saying I agree with it, just that I understand why he did it.

But jedi younglings? Not buying it. Especially if you want to count the clone wars cartoon (Anakin risked his own life to save clones and droids)
    Last edited by Godzilla2099; 02-08-2021 at 06:34 PM.

Mighty Member

But jedi younglings? Not buying it. Especially if you want to count the clone wars cartoon (Anakin risked his own life to save clones and droids)
    I would argue that the entire point of the temple attack is that Anakin doesn't want to do it. Any of it. But he has committed to this path to save Padme, and Palpatine tells him that the only way to such power is to steep himself in the dark side.

Anakin's temple attack isn't a rampage. It's a choice he makes. And then makes again and again. Knowing it's wrong. Knowing that it's evil.

I also think the film could be read as making a case for Vader literally getting drunk on the power of the dark side. So intoxicated, he would be even more inclined to violence and even less disposed to concern, and would only spiral deeper into his dark side bender. This is most clearly seen on Mustafar, where Vader clearly isn't in his right mind. He's gone full megalomaniac, deluding himself that he's an all powerful Force god. Contrast with literally any other example of Vader ever, where he is measured, controlled and utterly efficient. His first time being truly overwhelmed by darkness he lost himself to it almost completely.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    I would argue that the entire point of the temple attack is that Anakin doesn't want to do it. Any of it. But he has committed to this path to save Padme, and Palpatine tells him that the only way to such power is to steep himself in the dark side.

Anakin's temple attack isn't a rampage. It's a choice he makes. And then makes again and again. Knowing it's wrong. Knowing that it's evil.

I also think the film could be read as making a case for Vader literally getting drunk on the power of the dark side. So intoxicated, he would be even more inclined to violence and even less disposed to concern, and would only spiral deeper into his dark side bender. This is most clearly seen on Mustafar, where Vader clearly isn't in his right mind. He's gone full megalomaniac, deluding himself that he's an all powerful Force god. Contrast with literally any other example of Vader ever, where he is measured, controlled and utterly efficient. His first time being truly overwhelmed by darkness he lost himself to it almost completely.
    Almost. Anakin was seen crying after what he did before going to Mustafar. When he saw Padme in Mustafar he lost it more. He thought everyone was out to get him.

After his baptism in fire and finding out Padme died. That was it. He had nothing left but pain

The Vader comics are actually dealing with this exact same issue with Vader on Mustafar.

The Vader comics are actually dealing with this exact same issue with Vader on Mustafar.
    Is that comic worth checking out? I absolutely loved Gillen's Run. Once the new team/series took over, it wasn't for me. Gave it a few tries (I didn't like that bleeding crystal story and the one after that) so I dropped it.

Vader is my absolute favorite character but the comic couldn't catch my interest as Gillen's Work did.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Is that comic worth checking out? I absolutely loved Gillen's Run. Once the new team/series took over, it wasn't for me. Gave it a few tries (I didn't like that bleeding crystal story and the one after that) so I dropped it.

Vader is my absolute favorite character but the comic couldn't catch my interest as Gillen's Work did.
    I'd avoid it, it's just waaayy too decompressed to be worth it.

Main problem I think is that it's a bit too continuity-heavy. The whole current series to this point has pretty much just been kind of revisiting the prequels. The first arc deals with Naboo with Vader pretty much meeting everyone still alive from the Phantom Menace again; the current arc Vader goes back to Mustafar and there's even a panel showing what's left of Nute Gunray! The arc also pretty much ties into Rise of Skywalker, as it has Ochii, hints about the Final Order/Exegol, the wayfinder and the weird monster cut from the movie.

Granted, the previous Vader series had flashbacks/callback too but they were way more spread out.