Page 7 of 107 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757 ... LastLast

Thread: The Mandalorian

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    I don't know why some fans always get so offended at the notion of Star Wars being a kids' franchise or even having some kiddie elements. Pretty much everyone just expected this show to be about some grim and gritty anti-hero kicking ass and taking names, and introducing the baby and giving him something to fight for and protect is also a cliche, it works well to soften his edge and flesh out his personality. Besides so much about this show is fan service for long term Star Wars geeks, and the baby definitely is part of that, someone who wasn't familiar with Yoda wouldn't see anything special about it.
    space nazis, dismemberment, roasted relatives, murdering children...
    so, i wonīt say that star wars is not for kids, but the actions within star wars awes them and i guess they affect them. ewoks, jarjar, babyyoda, break the immersion. r2 and and c3po do not imho
    (toilets also, but hey, toilets!)

someone not familiar with yoda?!? are you kidding me?
    in 2002 every major city of the world was plastered with leaping yoda with a lightsabre and every techstore played the yoda/dooku teaser on all of their screens.

okay, we will see where the story will go. but i am skeptical, why it had to be yoda species baby. will that be a plot point or is it more "fan"service? couldnīt it have been another species? we will see, or as the kaiser says, schau mer mal
    Last edited by abulafia; 11-16-2019 at 04:07 PM.
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

It was clearly shown that the feat was not easily done and that it wasn't without consequence. I doubt we'll be seeing it happen with any frequency in future episodes.

The lil' fella may be too young to vocalize it, but I can't help but think of the phrase "I'm one with the Force, and the Force will guide me."
    Conn Seanery
    CBR Forums Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Brock Samson will show us the way
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

"Hnh. Could Bowie have been a mutant?" ~Dr. Doom (Hellfire Gala 2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Conn Seanery View Post
    It was clearly shown that the feat was not easily done and that it wasn't without consequence. I doubt we'll be seeing it happen with any frequency in future episodes.

The lil' fella may be too young to vocalize it, but I can't help but think of the phrase "I'm one with the Force, and the Force will guide me."
    not easily ... by a BABY. which canīt even communicate. but wields most impressive force powers. training, whatever
    i would place a bet we will, say see atleast 3 more force feats in season one.

you may argue that the baby would help defend shady man who saved it from bad robot from wild animal, but it collides with the serene impression i get from the baby.
    if there had been a peaceful conclusion, ok, but the mando stabbing mama horn after the baby lifted it into the air? themes collide imho
    Last edited by abulafia; 11-16-2019 at 04:40 PM.
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Quote Originally Posted by abulafia View Post
    not easily ... by a BABY. which canīt even communicate. but wields most impressive force powers. training, whatever
    i would place a bet we will, say see atleast 3 more force feats in season one.

you may argue that the baby would help defend shady man who saved it from bad robot from wild animal, but it collides with the serene impression i get from the baby.
    if there had been a peaceful conclusion, ok, but the mando stabbing mama horn after the baby lifted it into the air? themes collide imho
    If it helps you, the baby did fall asleep right before the stabbing. (also, it did eat a frog whole - don't know how "serene" that frog felt about it)

not easily ... by a BABY. i would place a bet we will, say see atleast 3 more force feats in season one.
    Hopefully you'll have given up hate-watching it by then.

Well, as you yourself noted, that's your impression. Just because things didn't work out the way you wanted them to doesn't make it wrong. I think the more plausible outcome was the one that happened, not one where a force capable baby manages to calm down a large beast.
    Conn Seanery

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    If it helps you, the baby did fall asleep right before the stabbing. (also, it did eat a frog whole - don't know how "serene" that frog felt about it)
    pure gold, thank you! it fell asleep.

on the "frog issue", i think we can agree that the show is also aimed at us earthlings, and therefore we are more relating to delicious garlic served snails being eaten than an elephant being shot for a weird jawa frenzy.
    kid has got to eat, ye know. but, jawas did not had to eat
    Last edited by abulafia; 11-16-2019 at 05:23 PM.

Hopefully you'll have given up hate-watching it by then.

Well, as you yourself noted, that's your impression. Just because things didn't work out the way you wanted them to doesn't make it wrong. I think the more plausible outcome was the one that happened, not one where a force capable baby manages to calm down a large beast.
    hate watching? how assumptios of you, sir seanery. i enjoy this show to a huge degree. but are you implying i should not point out what i dislike?
    well i can play the your impression game too.
    the beast could have just been scared off. like in some good old dark horse books. but that is obviously crazy talk. lift, stab, that is the way to go

edit
    actually i canīt right remember if force users did that, but there were the beast tamers of onderon, in the tale that kicked off the complete knights of old republic thing. so yea, taming beasts, crazy
    Last edited by abulafia; 11-16-2019 at 05:22 PM.

It's okay but nothing special yet, IMO.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

hate watching? how assumptios of you, sir seanery. i enjoy this show to a huge degree. but are you implying i should not point out what i dislike?
    Fair enough. Your griping about the baby using the Force seems very nit-picky, gave me the impression you didn't like it.

well i can play the your impression game too.
    the beast could have just been scared off. like in some good old dark horse books. but that is obviously crazy talk. lift, stab, that is the way to go

edit
    actually i canīt right remember if force users did that, but there were the beast tamers of onderon, in the tale that kicked off the complete knights of old republic thing. so yea, taming beasts, crazy
    So you're basically tossing aside the fact that it's a baby, then. He chose to use the Force in the wrong way? Seriously? I also notice you've described the scene with more implied method, like the baby and the Mandalorian were purposefully working together to defeat the beast. If you're trying not to sound nit-picky you're not doing a very good job. I think I'd respect your position more if you just didn't like that a baby was using the Force.
    Conn Seanery

Fair enough. Your griping about the baby using the Force seems very nit-picky, gave me the impression you didn't like it.

So you're basically tossing aside the fact that it's a baby, then. He chose to use the Force in the wrong way? Seriously? I also notice you've described the scene with more implied method, like the baby and the Mandalorian were purposefully working together to defeat the beast. If you're trying not to sound nit-picky you're not doing a very good job. I think I'd respect your position more if you just didn't like that a baby was using the Force.
    okay, you say i am being nitpicky. so what? we discuss this content. i did not say it used the force in the wrong way. if it is natural in the force, i am amazed that it chose to help in the murder of that creature. if it is in flow, panta rhei, it would have felt, not known, what effect its action would have on mama horn. i did not imply that cuddle ears and the mando were working together. it is obvious in my statements and in the content that it saves the mando. by saving the mando, the cuddle dooms the creature it. that is what i said.
    and to my star wars understanding, some kind of force mind swipe confusing the animal would be easier and more impulsive than a full rey rock lift galore of the creature.
    cause it is a wild beast and does not have a focused mind.
    and baby using the force is another issue entirely btw
    Last edited by abulafia; 11-16-2019 at 07:21 PM. Reason: drama-ectomy

okay, you say i am being nitpicky. so what? we discuss this content. i did not say it used the force in the wrong way. if it is natural in the force, i am amazed that it chose to help in the murder of that creature. if it is in flow, panta rhei, it would have felt, not known, what effect its action would have on mama horn. i did not imply that cuddle ears and the mando were working together. it is obvious in my statements and in the content that it saves the mando. but by saving the creature, the cuddle doomes it. that is what i said.
    and to my star wars understanding, some kind of force mind swipe confusing the animal would be easier and more impulsive than a full rey rock lift galore of the creature.
    cause it is a wild beast and does not have a focused mind.
    and baby using the force is another issue entirely btw
    I'd go re-read your posts, because that's exactly what it sounds like you're saying to me. I'd even argue you doubled down in this post; you're once again assigning choice and method to the baby's actions. You're also still using your own head-canon to judge the baby's actions (his "serene impression" on you that supposedly fails him by getting the beast killed, that he "chose" to help kill it).

As far as I'm concerned, the baby did the most basic of actions; it stopped the beast. After that, it's all the Mandalorian.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 11-16-2019 at 11:51 PM.
    Conn Seanery

I'd go re-read your posts, because that's exactly what it sounds like you're saying to me. I'd even argue you doubled down in this post; you're once again assigning choice and method to the baby's actions. You're also still using your own head-canon to judge the baby's actions (his "serene impression" on you that supposedly fails him by getting the beast killed, that he "chose" to help kill it).

As far as I'm concerned, the baby did the most basic of actions; it stopped the beast. After that, it's all the Madalorian.
    the beast that was just defending itself? why did the mandolorian bring the baby into that hazardous zone anyway? mother beast surely would have been a better host for little yoda than than this ambiguous twolegger.
    choice and method matter since there is a choice. it could have done nothing at all. and its affliction to the force implies that it communes with the force. makes the force feel little dickish if it values some jawa feast and a dude fixing his ship above a mother protecting her egg. but the ways of the force, maybe the mando will make up to stabbing mother horn in the greater scheme of the galaxy. still, you suck force leave them mamas alone!

the beast that was just defending itself? why did the mandolorian bring the baby into that hazardous zone anyway? mother beast surely would have been a better host for little yoda than than this ambiguous twolegger.
    choice and method matter since there is a choice. it could have done nothing at all. and its affliction to the force implies that it communes with the force. makes the force feel little dickish if it values some jawa feast and a dude fixing his ship above a mother protecting her egg. but the ways of the force, maybe the mando will make up to stabbing mother horn in the greater scheme of the galaxy. still, you suck force leave them mamas alone!

Glad you're enjoying the show. I'm done.
    Conn Seanery

Glad you're enjoying the show. I'm done.
    have a nice evening

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Why bring the baby there?
    Because the show is playing off Lone Wolf and Cub:

Last edited by thwhtGuardian; 11-17-2019 at 05:08 AM.