Page 1 of 107 123451151101 ... LastLast

Thread: The Mandalorian

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Default The Mandalorian

Man, I'd say this show alone was worth the price of admission for Disney+ that was an utterly fantastic first episode. With out spoiling it, with the reveal of just what the bounty was on at the end I'm hoping the rest of the series will sort of play off of Lone Wolf and Cub which would definitely fit in with the spaghetti western feel the show has going for it.

My only real gripe comes down to just how dark a couple of the scenes were, not tonally mind you but literally. I don' t know if those few interior scenes were just shot with low light and that's how they were supposed to look similar to the night episodes in the last season of Game of Thrones or if its an issue with my tv. I have a pretty good samsung tv and have never had an issue with brightness or contrast with anything else in the past but I've never changed the settings from where they were out of the box so perhaps this is a case where settings are important. Anyone else have that issue?

iMan 42s

A-
    -Some FX work is off
    -Some dialogue doesn't totally work
    -Overacting in some scenes

Overall it's worth the price of admission or the free trial. It's a great start for Disney+
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

Is it weird that I liked that some of the VFX wasn't perfect? It made it feel throwback in all the best ways.

Fantastic episode though.

Mighty Member

I absolutely loved the first episode of this. The costuming and set direction are perfect for the universe, and easily capture that lived in feeling of the original trilogy. The main character has a great look, is clearly a badass, and I was impressed how much Pascal was able to bring to the role with just the small amount of lines here. He manages to give a bit of character without a whole lot to work with.

Hints at the backstory, world building possibilities galore and largely solid FX (I only really noticed one legit poor scene, and there were several excellent FX shots). As hyped as I was for this, it lived up to it in spades. And I genuinely don't know what to make of that ending. I really hope the rest of the series can maintain this level of quality.

What fx shots looked bad to you guys? I can't say I noticed anything.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    What fx shots looked bad to you guys? I can't say I noticed anything.
    The one I mentioned catching in my post is the last shot of the Blurg (spelling? I have no idea) ride. The Mando and Nick Nolte's guide alien ride away from the camera into a setting sun. And the cg, in just this one shot, is terrible. Pre-Phantom Menace terrible. It was the one shot in the entire episode that stood out as just poorly done to me. I didn't have any problems with any of the rest of the FX.

We look forward watching it one day too!
    I'm glad the first episode was good!

Does anyone think this will ever be released to DVD/Blu-Ray?
    Or is Disney going to stop allowing physical media be sold since they have a streaming service now?
    Reliving my second childhood.... Making my TPB's take a back seat.....I'm now a new DC Omnibus and Hard Bound Book Collector: Batman: The Golden Age Omni V1 / Legends of the Dark Knight: Jim Aparo Vol. 2 / Gotham Central Omni / Justice League of America Silver Age Omni's V1 & V2 / Superman: The Golden Age Omni V1/ Green Lantern Omni V1
    with many more purchases soon to come.....

I didn't realize this show was going to have a spoilers:
    Lone Wolf and Cub
    end of spoilers set up. I love that kind of ####!
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Quote Originally Posted by Things Fall Apart View Post
    I didn't realize this show was going to have a spoilers:
    Lone Wolf and Cub
    end of spoilers set up. I love that kind of ####!
    Herzog did say he gave purpose to the lead so I'm guessing it's definitely going to be a play on Lone Wolf. The Mandolorian won't be able to complete the bounty so he'll be hunted by everyone else in the Galaxy until he finds out what to do with the package.

-- I thought the carbonite scene was lacking - minor quibble, but a bunch of gas then encased? Again, a small deal, but it took me out of it a bit.
    -- I kept hearing Jeffrey Combs' voice. Are we sure this isn't a Darth Vader situation where one guy wears the suit, another guy does the voice??
    -- I thought the M and the IG robot had great chemistry. I really thought they were going to be buddies...

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    -- I kept hearing Jeffrey Combs' voice. Are we sure this isn't a Darth Vader situation where one guy wears the suit, another guy does the voice??
    No, actually. Though it was definitely Pedro Pascal doing the voice.

-- I thought the carbonite scene was lacking - minor quibble, but a bunch of gas then encased? Again, a small deal, but it took me out of it a bit.
    -- I thought the M and the IG robot had great chemistry. I really thought they were going to be buddies...
    There were scenes in the trailer with a IG droid that weren't in this episode so I'm guessing we'll see another or maybe he repairs this one.

I haven't seen the show yet but I think that was the purpose of Carbonite in Bespin. As Han notes, Cloud City was a "Tibanna gas mine".
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

That's how it's always worked.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkgirl_70 View Post
    We look forward watching it one day too!
    I'm glad the first episode was good!

Does anyone think this will ever be released to DVD/Blu-Ray?
    Or is Disney going to stop allowing physical media be sold since they have a streaming service now?
    Hopefully it gets a blu ray release soon. You know it would sell.