Page 80 of 107 FirstFirst ... 307076777879808182838490 ... LastLast
Results 1,186 to 1,200 of 1592

Thread: The Mandalorian

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    It's not that they portray him in a different light. He's very much the same character. It's a "certain point of view" thing.

My guess is he'll be played, much as he was during Rebels, as a noble and honorable foe, but an antagonist all the same.
    Thanks for filling me in on the novels I missed.

And I agree; Thrawn seems likely to remain an antagonist, but one audiences can enjoy and even sympathize with. I think he's simply too good a villain for anything else, honestly. The showrunners and writers might want to tease us and make us wonder who's side he's "really" on, but he's well known among the fans and like someone said, it's easier to "plug and play" him than it is to create a new villain.

Of course, a lot depends on what he's been doing since Rebels too. There's lots of ways they might present him, but setting aside any misdirects or "common enemy" troupes, I don't see Thrawn being handled as anything but the bad guy. And I wouldn't want it any other way. His motivations might be understandable but he's still a monster who's committed untold crimes against the galaxy.

He's not likely to have much love for the New Republic, or see much value to them. They're unable to protect the Outer Rim in the Mando era, and unwilling to even recognize the threat of the First Order in the sequel era. Thrawn might use and/or manipulate them, but I don't think he'd align himself with them the way he did Palpatine. Maybe as a farce, but not truly.

To change the subject a bit - three of the podcasts I listened to that talked about the teasers all mentioned they thought Bo-Katan was being positioned as an antagonist in the teaser. Now, I felt something like that ways inevitable given her complicated history and the way she exited The Mandalorian in Season 2… but I know a few fanboys and fangirls who really want her as a protagonist (including a few who want her to win the Darksaber and become the Mandalore.)

What role do you think she shouldtake?
    I don't think there's much doubt that she'll be some kind of antagonist in Mando season 3. She wants the Darksaber, she wants the throne, and any fondness she may feel for Din on a personal level isn't gonna count for much when weighed against her ambition for Mandalore.

But I also don't think it'll be as clean cut as the typical Star Wars good/evil divide. I think they'll play it more as "friends on opposite sides" and keep it clear that she's not really a villain in the traditional SW sense. I'm hoping she realizes she's not cut out for rule, makes way for Din or Grogu or whoever ends up being "worthy" of the Darksaber, and accepts some kind of advisory role. I think Bo's particular flavor of Mando ethics is worth keeping around and her viewpoint is valuable. Part of what makes Mandalore interesting (at least to me) is how they don't quite fit in the "Republic/Empire" moral axis. Bo and the Armorer both are valuable assets in maintaining that division.

As for Sabine.....it'd be nice to get her in Mando season 3 but I don't know if that'll happen, nor do I think it's necessary. Odds are Din will show up in Ashoka anyway, and they'll meet there. But I do think she'd be useful to the larger Mandalorian story, and I definitely agree that she offers a kind of blueprint for Din to follow; she hasn't lost touch with her culture, but she isn't the extremist Bo and the Armorer are. Sabine has found a balance to the sides of her life and despite their differences, Din may benefit from her experience.
    Last edited by Ascended; 06-17-2022 at 07:34 AM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Any thoughts on Joe Dante's comments on Grogu being a copy of Gizmo? I think it can really be inferred that the design of Gizmo/Mogwai/Gremlins is a bit deriative of Yoda in the first place, especially the ears and mouth. Also Gizmo seems to have a clear moral compass, whereas Grogu's is still really developing.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Any thoughts on Joe Dante's comments on Grogu being a copy of Gizmo? I think it can really be inferred that the design of Gizmo/Mogwai/Gremlins is a bit deriative of Yoda in the first place, especially the ears and mouth. Also Gizmo seems to have a clear moral compass, whereas Grogu's is still really developing.
    I think if you told a puppet maker to design “Baby” Yoda, the design choices made would resemble the same ones applied to Gizmo, simply because the small-mouth+chubby cheeks+big eyes are a formula that puppeteers have used pretty consistently. Grogu also has some resemblance to the Baby from the old Dinosaurs TV show, for instance.

There was a dubiously sourced but compelling “leak” that claimed that one of the reasons we see The Armorer hammer a Twi’lek in one of the still-not-released trailers, alongside Paz and other Mandos opening fire in a desert, could be because The Children Of The Watch have moved to Tatooine and come into conflict with the very unorthodox Beskar-wearer, Boba Fett.

While the rest of the “leak” was a hodge-podge of stuff I’m leery of or think could be speculated with a clever oberservation of stuff, this idea actually makes some sense as a way for the future conflicts between Mandos to heat up and demand Din address them.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Mighty Member

Dogfights! Bo-Katan and Mandalorian political intrigue! More Mandos! Greef really moving up in the world !

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

That looked awesome, can't wait!
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Everything I was hoping to see and more. Can't wait!
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

So there was a very short Grogu cartoon today animated by Ghibli on Disney+.

A new trailer is dropping next Monday. Kind of timely considering Pascal's other "father figure" show, Last of Us, is coming out this Sunday as well.

Mighty Member

Din going on a quest to Mandalore!

Greef really moving up in the world!

Looks like we're going to see how Grogu survived Order 66.

Coruscant...?

Death Watch!

Grogu has mastered Force Push. I guess that was the point of Luke's training .

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

I love seeing the variations of Mandalorian armor.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Extraordinary Member

That shot of him picking up a dead Mando's burned out helmet makes me wonder if we might find out he lost the adoptive father we glimpsed in the Season 1 flashbacks in the Night of a Thousand Tears.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Astonishing Member

I could never quite get into the hype around the mandalorians in Star Wars lore.
    Even KOTOR, Clone Wars and Rebells, despite being strong entries with focus on them and giving them plenty of exploration couldn't sell me on them beyond merely accepting them as fundamental part of the Star Wars universe.
    But this series still managed to have that nice mixture of space western and wandering swordsmen stories, which i feel is one of Star War's greatest strength next to the wuxia style action that Jedi bring (which is why The Force Awakens lost me right at the start by having them killed off again).

So i'm carefully excited for Season 3 hoping they can maintain the quality of season 1 and 2.
    Last edited by Grunty; 01-17-2023 at 03:20 PM.

Minor spoilers ........... but I was disappointed in the premiere. I thought the opening was a waste of time, the whole point of the Navarro scene made no sense and backtracked so much about a certain droid.... and it made no sense... then there was that stupid pun... the pirates were silly ... and that last scene.... why is that character just sitting there?? I'm also not sold on Din's new quest and Grogu is just ... there.

Hopefully things will pick up when we get more into Mandalore...