Page 59 of 107 FirstFirst ... 94955565758596061626369 ... LastLast

Thread: The Mandalorian

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    Luke literally threw his weapon away.
    Curious, are you claiming he didn't take it back after that scene? Because you can literally see it swinging from his belt as he walks up to Leia at the Ewok party on Endor.
    Conn Seanery
    CBR Forums Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Brock Samson will show us the way
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

"Hnh. Could Bowie have been a mutant?" ~Dr. Doom (Hellfire Gala 2022)

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Conn Seanery View Post
    Curious, are you claiming he didn't take it back after that scene? Because you can literally see it swinging from his belt as he walks up to Leia at the Ewok party on Endor.
    Him picking it up after Palpatine was dead doesn't change the fact that the moment where he declared his identity as a Jedi involved him throwing away his weapon while in front of a powerful enemy.

Him picking it up after Palpatine was dead doesn't change the fact that the moment where he declared his identity as a Jedi involved him throwing away his weapon while in front of a powerful enemy.
    He also said he was a Jedi like his father before him. His father before him carried and used a lightsaber as a Jedi, and used it and the Force much like Luke did in this episode.
    Conn Seanery

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Why oh why did Bo Katan not tell Din the details about the black lightsaber? Din doesn't want to rule over a planet of crazy aggro people. Somewhere in the universe the Blacksmith just stopped whatever she was doing. The Blacksmith is going to be a problem going forward.
    She doesn't know Din or his intentions. Why would she tell anyone the quick and easy way to take the job she wants?
    Sounds perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    She doesn't know Din or his intentions. Why would she tell anyone the quick and easy way to take the job she wants?
    Din told her he only wanted the kid back. I'm kind of glad that she didn't get the darksaber because she would be a textbook example of The Peter Principle. She is the person you get to run your armies anything more than that and you will have problems.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Voice of the Authorities Cleric of Hell’s Brigade's Avatar

Luke throwing the lightsaber away isn’t so much his stand on pacifism against a powerful opponent, but more a stance against the dark side and telling Palpatine he’d never turn.

The fault in Luke’s character comes in Last Jedi, where he reveals that for even a split second he would turn on his nephew and actually attempt to kill him. A nephew who to this point has done no wrong, when Luke was willing to try and change Vader back to the light after all his atrocities. Now you might say he did attack Vader in a rage, but that was in the heat of the moment when Vader essentially threatened Leia, not while he was sleeping with his back turned to him like Ben was.

As to the action scene in TM:

Lightsabers don’t make a Jedi, but they are a core concept of them. As is their use in defense of the defenseless.

Luke using it as the most efficient means of getting through the Dark Troopers makes sense. He has no way of knowing if he can reprogram them, make them turn on each other, or how durable they are to force crushes. Instead, he uses what he thinks is the most efficient means of eliminating the threat to the innocent.
    Last edited by Cleric of Hell’s Brigade; 12-19-2020 at 11:33 PM.
    Black Knight of SO
    Owner/Operator of SO’s Item/Weapon Shop
    Claimer of the original Rumbles 2,000,000th post
    CBR GM/DM

Not to be "that person" but TLJ is probably my favorite Star Wars anything ... I don't really see the issue here with Luke. I am not trying to claim the moral ground just that I can see where this doesn't contradict anything. In fact, it builds up his fall even better IMHO. It makes his biggest Jedi moment since saving his father (the badass Force projection scene) even bigger.

He's 5 years removed from the greatest victory of his life and in his prime.

Luke is literally rescuing a, relatively, defenseless being from murder bots that one of them took a super capable warrior in near impenetrable armor to the brink.

He is a guardian and steward of peace and justice. One of the last Jedi finding one of the last younglings from the old order. One that reached out with one of the last known Jedi relics that Luke was hunting for. A strong Force sensitive being trapped on an Imperial ship.

Of course he is going to mow those suckers down.

There is no betraying of his character or what he knew of the Jedi code at that time.

It was effin' awesome!
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cleric of Hell’s Brigade View Post
    Luke throwing the lightsaber away isn’t so much his stand on pacifism against a powerful opponent, but more a stance against the dark side and telling Palpatine he’d never turn.

The fault in Luke’s character comes in Last Jedi, where he reveals that for even a split second he would turn on his nephew and actually attempt to kill him. A nephew who to this point has done no wrong, when Luke was willing to try and change Vader back to the light after all his atrocities. Now you might say he did attack Vader in a rage, but that was in the heat of the moment when Vader essentially threatened Leia, not while he was sleeping with his back turned to him like Ben was.
    No, what happens is that Luke draws his ligthsaber in a moment of instinct, and then Kylo wakes up at the worst possible time. At no point did his conscious mind ever actually intend on doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Not to be "that person" but TLJ is probably my favorite Star Wars anything ... I don't really see the issue here with Luke. I am not trying to claim the moral ground just that I can see where this doesn't contradict anything. In fact, it builds up his fall even better IMHO. It makes his biggest Jedi moment since saving his father (the badass Force projection scene) even bigger.

He's 5 years removed from the greatest victory of his life and in his prime.

Luke is literally rescuing a, relatively, defenseless being from murder bots that one of them took a super capable warrior in near impenetrable armor to the brink.

He is a guardian and steward of peace and justice. One of the last Jedi finding one of the last younglings from the old order. One that reached out with one of the last known Jedi relics that Luke was hunting for. A strong Force sensitive being trapped on an Imperial ship.

Of course he is going to mow those suckers down.

There is no betraying of his character or what he knew of the Jedi code at that time.

It was effin' awesome!
    My issue isn't with Luke, it's with the creative team. Again, it's not what he does, it's how the show depicts it. It's basically Luke's version of the Vader Hallway scene, and no Jedi should have a version of the Vader Hallway scene.

They were nearly indestructible murder bots!

Luke was rescuing a child strong in the Force that called out to him for help.

There was no reasoning with them. The only person they weren't going to kill was Gideon. He said so himself.

Luke did the most Jedi-like thing in this situation. He doesn't have the 30 years of study like he did in the TLJ. He wasn't his father, murdering people to protect a flaw in a super death weapon.

He was rescuing a child asking for help from super murder bots that could not be reasoned with.

Come on dude ... ;P
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    They were nearly indestructible murder bots!

Luke was rescuing a child strong in the Force that called out to him for help.

There was no reasoning with them. The only person they weren't going to kill was Gideon. He said so himself.

Luke did the most Jedi-like thing in this situation. He doesn't have the 30 years of study like he did in the TLJ. He wasn't his father, murdering people to protect a flaw in a super death weapon.

He was rescuing a child asking for help from super murder bots that could not be reasoned with.

Come on dude ... ;P
    What part of "I'm not criticizing the character, I'm criticizing the creatives" did you not understand?

three-time juror The Gold Stream's Avatar

really good season, top tier live action SW

praise be to favreau

What part of "I'm not criticizing the character, I'm criticizing the creatives" did you not understand?
    You're arguing that what the creatives made Luke do was out of character. Explaining how it wasn't is not irrelevant as a counter-argument.

And I think the fact that you've been walking around since watching RotJ thinking Luke became some kind of pacifist Jedi in the climactic scene demonstrates a complete misunderstanding of Luke's character. And that's aside from the strange notion that that should somehow affect his tactics against mindless murder robots. Not to mention the hypocritical scenario you suggested where we only see the aftermath of Luke slaughtering the Darktroopers (it's okay that he did it, but not that we see it).
    Conn Seanery

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Conn Seanery View Post
    You're arguing that what the creatives made Luke do was out of character.
    No, I'm not. I'm arguing that the way they portrayed it goes against the series themes

Mighty Member

So, moving away from the Luke discussion for a bit, I've been thinking about Bo-Katan and the Darksaber. And I think we've been looking at this the wrong way.

The Darksaber "needing" to be won in combat isn't new. We first saw Maul claim it from Pre Vizla by killing him during the Clone Wars, and during Rebels, Bo-Katan initially expresses disdain when she learns that Sabine holds the blade without defeating Maul. So that element is consistent. What has changed is Bo-Katan's attitude, where she was fine taking the blade as a gift from Sabine, but not from Din.

But a lot has changed for Mandalore in that time too. When we last saw her wield the Darksaber, Bo-Katan had united the clans and seemingly freed Mandalore from the Empire. But we know the Empire returned, and while we don't know the details yet, it did not go well for the Mandalorians. At all. Which means that beyond the lore and legend of the Darksaber there is another angle in play. The Empire, and probably specifically Gideon, defeated Bo-Katan. She wasn't strong enough to protect her people, she didn't have the chops to back up her claim to the throne when it counted the most. She is a vanquished queen.

So it really isn't so much that the Darksaber needs to be won in combat. Sure, that's the story, the legend. But Bo-Katan doesn't actually need the sword. What she needs is to prove that she could beat the guy who beat her in the rematch. She needs to hold high the Darksaber and be able to say "I took this from Gideon with my own hands." That's how she re-establishes her right to the throne.

To use a terrible boxing metaphor, Bo-Katan used to the heavyweight champion, but she lost the title fair and square. Now, she's being offered the title back on a technicality. But she still hasn't beaten the guy that took it from her. So is she still the champ? The doubt, that question over whether or not she really deserves it, is enough to erode her power and leave her with nothing. It's not actually the sword at all, it's the victory that Bo-katan needed. And now will never get. Which leaves the saber as the symbol of the defeat she suffered, rather than of the revenge she enacted. Din defeating Gideon and taking the blade only reinforces the appearance that she is unworthy to rule.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Apparently a Lucasfilm artist has reported that Book of Boba Fett and Mandalorian S3 ARE both separate projects which are being filmed back to back and will be released as such. If I was to guess I think that BOBF will be three-four episodes and release from the first Friday of December and then S3 will hit Christmas Eve 2021.