Page 15 of 107 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718192565 ... LastLast

Thread: The Mandalorian

BANNED

Four episodes in and I'm thinking I need to re-evaluate my expectations of the show. I was expecting something like a Netflix series with a single story developing over the course of the season. Halfway through the season, with no such story in sight, it seems like an anthology series, like Bill Bixby's Hulk or David Janssen's Fugitive.

Taken as such, looking at the series so far in a new and objective light, my impression of the show has elevated quite a bit.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    Four episodes in and I'm thinking I need to re-evaluate my expectations of the show. I was expecting something like a Netflix series with a single story developing over the course of the season. Halfway through the season, with no such story in sight, it seems like an anthology series, like Bill Bixby's Hulk or David Janssen's Fugitive.

Taken as such, looking at the series so far in a new and objective light, my impression of the show has elevated quite a bit.
    That last episode did remind me of the hulk t.v show. Same type of feel but it's refreshing in a way to see a series with stand alone stories.

Overall I’ve loved this series, but I felt the last episode was kinda weak. Having the hero teaching a group of pacifists how to defend themselves from a group of bad guys is pretty cliche. Seven Samurai? And Gina Carano still can’t act to save her life. But there were some good character development moments for The Mandalorian. So at least there was that.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Overall I’ve loved this series, but I felt the last episode was kinda weak. Having the hero teaching a group of pacifists how to defend themselves from a group of bad guys is pretty cliche. Seven Samurai? And Gina Carano still can’t act to save her life. But there were some good character development moments for The Mandalorian. So at least there was that.
    I don't know who Gina Carano is and I'm too lazy to Bing what she's done before, but I thought she did fine. She was at least equivalent to the acting standards in general on this show. No worse than Carl Weathers, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    They even did a similar plot on Clone Wars.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Pretty sure she'll be back. There seems to be some pictures and footage of here from an episode which isn't this one. For instance there's a pic of her with some kind of mini-gun, I don't remember that from this episode.
    I read somewhere that she's going to be in season 2. As well as Carl Weathers.

I actually liked Episode 4 a bit more than Episode 3.
    Probably because of Episode 3's contrived plot points that made no sense to me.

I really liked Cara Dune and hope we get to see her again this season.

With Carl Weathers appearing as late as next season, I don't expect Mando&Kid to be free of their Wanted status this season.
    Last edited by Lee Stone; 12-01-2019 at 09:33 PM.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    They even did a similar plot on Clone Wars.
    They even used that plot in The Three Amigos

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    I don't know who Gina Carano is and I'm too lazy to Bing what she's done before, but I thought she did fine. She was at least equivalent to the acting standards in general on this show. No worse than Carl Weathers, for example.
    Gina is a former MMA fighter turned actress. At one point she was considered for Wonder Woman. Her, "what she has done before" is rather unexciting in my opinion.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post
    Gina is a former MMA fighter turned actress. At one point she was considered for Wonder Woman. Her, "what she has done before" is rather unexciting in my opinion.
    None of which means she did a poor job here, she did everything her character needed.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Pretty sure she'll be back. There seems to be some pictures and footage of here from an episode which isn't this one. For instance there's a pic of her with some kind of mini-gun, I don't remember that from this episode.
    There's unused IG-11 stuff in the trailer, too. There's a plaza fight with a fully armored Mando going against some Imps, too, not seen so far.

One can hope 11, the solider, and maybe even his handler team up at some point near the end. I could see him taking on that women from the village, as well.

I could see the Mando recruiting a bunch of former contacts to take down the Imps.

IG-11, the solider, & Mando taking on a base would be pretty killer.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Yeah, we still haven't gotten to Esposito's role yet either. Looks like he might bring in some more powerful Imperial equipment-He's clearly flying a TIE in some of the previews, and seen with Deathtroopers.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Incredible Member

Wha?!?!? The space western does a classic western story? Get the space pitchforks and laser torches!

The episode did answer why he doesn't just dump the kid somewhere and give some insight into "never" removing the helmet.

The real question is why don't AT-STs have windows?
    Sounds perfect.

iMan 42s

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Wha?!?!? The space western does a classic western story? Get the space pitchforks and laser torches!

The episode did answer why he doesn't just dump the kid somewhere and give some insight into "never" removing the helmet.

The real question is why don't AT-STs have windows?
    From an in-universe perspective it was that Imperial tanks aren't particularly vulnerable. Sure an explosive, ion weapons, traps, or lightsabers are going to be effective, but you really need a lot of firepower otherwise to bring one down. And to that end most rebellions wouldn't have that kind of firepower on hand that isn't already firing at the larger tanks like the AT-AT. The tank was also used for scouting ahead (part of what the abbreviation stands for) so it doesn't need to be the main fighting force. It's a heavy vehicle to clear the way for ground troops and support the larger tanks but it's just not meant to be the main fighting force unless the terrain doesn't support reinforcements. An AT-ST is as a result efficient enough to get in and around and or even deploy troops if needed. Despite firepower it's meant to have support.

All of that is to say that it's open window is just part of it's efficiency since most people can't or wont have the opportunity to shoot through the window anyways. The shutters on the walker could also be used to prevent such occurrences. It's also worth noting that despite this, the First Order's version of the walker actually has a window.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post
    I thought her acting was pretty good in "Haywire" -- and she got to beat up Obi-Wan Kenobi (and Magneto) She was the lead in that and Soderbergh's a really good director so maybe he helped her. I thought she was fine in "Deadpool" and fine here - not that they gave her too much to do anyway in terms of acting other than be tough. I also wouldn't mind if she played Big Barda in the New Gods movie. (and I know she's not tall - they could easily make a joke about where that nickname came from)

In terms of this episode, I thought it was cool when it was apparent they were going to do a "Seven Samurai" riff. Overall, I thought Howard did a good job, but the pacing or something felt a but clunky - maybe because we're familiar with this basic storyline from movies where they have more time to hit the storybeats rather than try to do it in one episode of a tv show. I also found myself questioning why they didn't at least try to find and disable or bomb the AT-ST when it was still "sleeping" rather than get it to chase them back to the village and the trap. (that seems like a plan B to me ) At first I thought Cara Dune was going to reference the methods the Ewoks used to defeat the Imperial forces during the training sequence since she had brought up being on Endor, but then she didn't, despite the obvious parallels .... it seemed like something was cut or it was just a missed opportunity.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 12-03-2019 at 10:24 AM.

4th episode wasn't good at all.

It recycled a plot we've seen countless times and almost always done better than it was here. Gina Caruso looks the part but she can't act to save her life and her lines were cringe worthy.

Like someone else said, it looked like a done on the cheap Sci-fi network movie of the week.