Page 33 of 107 FirstFirst ... 232930313233343536374383 ... LastLast

Thread: The Mandalorian

BANNED

One interesting thing about how the lore behind Mandalorians has developed is that, as each spinoff develops its own take on Mandalorian culture and society, the cumulative result of all these revisions actually much better resembles a real world civilization than the one-note caricatures that most fictional cultures end up as. Just like the history of a real people, the history of the Mandalorians is marked by differing periods of development that don't make for a particularly coherent narrative, and each iteration introduces a new group that claims to be the "true" Mandalorians that have preserved authentic Mandalorian culture even as the rest of society has lost its way. But just as in real life, true Mandalorian culture isn't represented by any of these groups, and you can't just freeze a snapshot of a society in time and declare that to be the only valid way to live, you need to take in the sum total of all history and the experience of all different kinds of people that gives you the complete picture. And of course, this would have NEVER happened if there were just one writer whose word was God when it came to what was authentically Mandalorian or not, it could only have come about this way with a bunch of different writers who all had their own visions of what they wanted Mandalorians to be and trying to fit all the pieces together somehow.
    Last edited by PwrdOn; 11-15-2020 at 08:21 PM.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I think a big thing with stormtroopers on this show is m9st of them deep down know their side lost, but most have nowhere else to go. It is not like they can just go home because as soon as they did someone would yell "Hey that bastard worked for the Empire" and either run them out if town or ki them. Even on that shuttle the only one who was really still devoted to the Empire fully was the commander.

Any time they reiterate how incompetent the Stormtroopers are I just think, "Their aim was good enough to kill all the Jedi!!" Yes, the biggest scrubs in the Star Wars universe wiped out the vaunted Jedi Knights, so what does that say? The element of surprise afforded them a bit of an advantage, but we saw it was really just the sheer number of them that allowed them to overcome the Jedi. But of course, that's what the story needed to have happen. If it were a different story, a Jedi would have wiped the floor with a squad of Stormtroopers. Star Wars is not a place I go to for consistency or air-tight worldbuilding. It's ridiculous to me anytime anyone tries, because of the logistical gymnastics one has to do to try to make it all "make sense."
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 11-16-2020 at 09:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Any time they reiterate how incompetent the Stormtroopers are I just think, "Their aim was good enough to kill all the Jedi!!" Yes, the biggest scrubs in the Star Wars universe wiped out the vaunted Jedi Knights, so what does that say? The element of surprise afforded them a bit of an advantage, but we saw it was really just the sheer number of them that allowed them to overcome the Jedi. But of course, that's what the story needed to have happen. If it were a different story, a Jedi would have wiped the floor with a squad of Stormtroopers. Star Wars is not a place I go to for consistency or air-tight worldbuilding. It's ridiculous to me anytime anyone tries, because of the logistical gymnastics one has to do to try to make it all "make sense."
    The Clones were the ones who wiped out the Jedi, and in-universe I think they are pretty far above what Stormtroopers were capable of.

Rex and his buddies certainly didn't take their successors seriously.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Any time they reiterate how incompetent the Stormtroopers are I just think, "Their aim was good enough to kill all the Jedi!!" Yes, the biggest scrubs in the Star Wars universe wiped out the vaunted Jedi Knights, so what does that say? The element of surprise afforded them a bit of an advantage, but we saw it was really just the sheer number of them that allowed them to overcome the Jedi. But of course, that's what the story needed to have happen. If it were a different story, a Jedi would have wiped the floor with a squad of Stormtroopers. Star Wars is not a place I go to for consistency or air-tight worldbuilding. It's ridiculous to me anytime anyone tries, because of the logistical gymnastics one has to do to try to make it "make sense."
    It was clones that did the bulk of the Jedi killing. War hardened, battle tested veterans literally bred for war. There is a HUGE difference between the clone troopers of the late Clone Wars and the stormtroopers of even the original OT. And by the time of The Mandalorian we're talking about a shattered, falling Empire that can't afford not to take any body that's willing (and likely more than a few that are unwilling conscripts).

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    It was clones that did the bulk of the Jedi killing. War hardened, battle tested veterans literally bred for war. There is a HUGE difference between the clone troopers of the late Clone Wars and the stormtroopers of even the original OT. And by the time of The Mandalorian we're talking about a shattered, falling Empire that can't afford not to take any body that's willing (and likely more than a few that are unwilling conscripts).
    When not shooting at a main (plot armor) character Storm Troopers have like a 60% accuracy. There is also the "theory" that on the Death Star they were missing on purpose so that they can track Luke and company back to the rebel base if this is the case then the Imperial Strom Trooper has a better accuracy than a soldier in the US Army.

After reading what George Lucas said of his plans for a sequel trilogy in the mind of "once and Imperial always an Imperial" I'm thinking that maybe the Mandalorian writers have that same concept (dude killed him self to avoid capture) as they seem very committed . So I would think that the Storm Troopers left during this time would be hardened Imperial veterans.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

I think we're also a bit away from the Stormtroopers that are raised from youth version that the First Order has. Finn and the ex-Stormtroopers from ROS seem to be in their twenties pretty much, and it's unclear if Gideon's remnant has any connection to the faction that becomes the FO anyway.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Voice of the Authorities Cleric of Hell’s Brigade's Avatar

Yeah, Clone Troopers killed Jedi.

Storm Troopers replaced them shortly after the Galactic Empire rose to power. Most Clones died fairly soon afterwards as they were the front line soldiers and had accelerated aging.

Storm Troopers are regular recruited people from across the Empire.

Quite a big difference.
    Black Knight of SO
    Owner/Operator of SO’s Item/Weapon Shop
    Claimer of the original Rumbles 2,000,000th post
    CBR GM/DM

Funny thing is the FO troopers training are actually a twisted version of the Jedi's training. Presumably at least the Jedi ask (Like Qui-Gon did with Anakin & Shmi, although Anakin was older than the norm) while the FO probably didn't.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

It probably depends on the training. I assume that the 501st even after the clones started to get replaced were pretty dangerous because Vader was overseeing them.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    It probably depends on the training. I assume that the 501st even after the clones started to get replaced were pretty dangerous because Vader was overseeing them.
    Current Cannon states that the 501st was the only legion of troopers to get wins in the movies. They captured Leia in ANH and were at the Battle of Hoth. But took a big L at Endor ...
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

There seems to be a slight continuity snag on the 501st. Basically Lucasfilm's story group (Who help coordinate the EU and some other stuff) argued that while the group still exists they were separated from Vader's command because they were associated with Anakin, and Vader or the Emperor didn't want somebody to collect the dots. So Zahn made Vader's legion a new one in one of his novels:

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/First_Legion

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    There seems to be a slight continuity snag on the 501st. Basically Lucasfilm's story group (Who help coordinate the EU and some other stuff) argued that while the group still exists they were separated from Vader's command because they were associated with Anakin, and Vader or the Emperor didn't want somebody to collect the dots. So Zahn made Vader's legion a new one in one of his novels:

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/First_Legion
    Indeed.

And now you have the First Legion being Vader's legion.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Mighty Member

The Razor Crest sure has taken a heck of a beating this season.

Ultimate Member

Stormtroopers seem to operate by Law of Conservation of Ninjutsu rules, in that the more of them there are, the worse they are, as the amount of accuracy and competence is divided amongst all the Stormtroopers present.

Maybe the electromagnetic fields generated by their blasters energy bolts repel each other, so that when a half dozen troopers are aiming at the same target their blasts are subtly pushing each other away and making each other miss. (Meanwhile, Imperial QA testing is firing them one at a time, when they are perfectly accurate, and passing the blame on to the Stormtroopers, since they are engineers, and Imperial engineers always blame the user for product deficits.)