Page 46 of 107 FirstFirst ... 364243444546474849505696 ... LastLast

Thread: The Mandalorian

Another great season thus far. I must say the Mandalorian alongside the last season of the Clone Wars has reinforced my love of Star Wars after the lackluster finish to the New Movie Trilogy.

I probably shouldn't say this here but WTH; as a rare fan of both Star Trek and Star Wars I can state IMO that new Star Wars is vastly superior to new Star Trek. Give me the Clone Wars, the Mandalorian, Rebels, heck even the New Movie Trilogy & Resistance (as cheesy as it was at times) over the garbage that is Discovery, Picard, and *shudders* Lower Decks any day all day long.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    I probably shouldn't say this here but WTH; as a rare fan of both Star Trek and Star Wars I can state IMO that new Star Wars is vastly superior to new Star Trek. Give me the Clone Wars, the Mandalorian, Rebels, heck even the New Movie Trilogy & Resistance (as cheesy as it was at times) over the garbage that is Discovery, Picard, and *shudders* Lower Decks any day all day long.
    Probably because ST is overseen by one guy and his company which refuses to let anyone else have a crack at ST and has ensured he can't be removed for some time. At least with SW Dave Filoni and Jon Fareauv are allowed to do projects free from the influence of Kathleen Kennedy and her ideas of really using Star Wars as a spokes piece above anything else. Even the anthology films got some slack and so were on the whole better projects, with Solo I think unfairly picking up the general distain for Last Jedi amongst other things in its production.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

When fans turn Star Wars into Zelda

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    Probably because ST is overseen by one guy and his company which refuses to let anyone else have a crack at ST and has ensured he can't be removed for some time. At least with SW Dave Filoni and Jon Fareauv are allowed to do projects free from the influence of Kathleen Kennedy and her ideas of really using Star Wars as a spokes piece above anything else. Even the anthology films got some slack and so were on the whole better projects, with Solo I think unfairly picking up the general distain for Last Jedi amongst other things in its production.
    Agreed, I liked Solo a great deal and am disappointed there likely won't ever be a sequel. I liked Rogue One the best of the "Other" Star Wars movies.

Yeah, Star Trek is suffering from tunnel vision. I detest what it has become. I think part of the reason I hate the latest project so much is because I'm not a fan of Rick & Morty which Lower Decks tries desperately to be. I've never found Rick & Morty funny or smart rather it is mean-spirited and gross it also has one of the most toxic fandoms I've encountered, but I digress.
    Last edited by Celgress; 12-06-2020 at 04:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post

I recall seeing Zelda fandom vids and articles for years theorizing there are three timelines due to temporal meddling.

While the Canon Timeline has a few issues, I actually prefer it in many ways to the old Legends Timeline Post-ROTJ which had some very silly stuff in all honesty. My major complaint with the Canon Timeline is how swiftly the Empire fell. Speaking as someone trained in how societies evolve and breakdown, realistically it should have taken much longer than one year instead I'd say five years to about a decade minimum for a galaxy-spanning polity to crumble (even taking into account Palpatine's "Contingency Plan).

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Agreed, I liked Solo a great deal and am disappointed there likely won't ever be a sequel. I liked Rogue One the best of the "Other" Star Wars movies.
    Rogue One is probably my second fav SW film after Empire so yeah (and excited for Cassian Andor/K-2SO mini series). There has been rumors about continuing stuff with Solo on Disney Plus, which would be great with the right concepts - I think Lando and L3-37 or Qi-Ra and Maul could both work as projects and I wouldn't mind seeing Aiden return as Han either somewhere.

Would be really interesting if Boba survives and he and Luke met up again. In fact I am kind of surprised that Boba has never bothered to go after Han, considering he was the one that essentially 'killed' him. Though I suppose now he has his armor back he might be next on his list after his debt to Din.
    Does Boba know it was Han who hit his jet pack? He seemed pretty focused on Luke.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Rogue One is probably my second fav SW film after Empire so yeah (and excited for Cassian Andor/K-2SO mini series). There has been rumors about continuing stuff with Solo on Disney Plus, which would be great with the right concepts - I think Lando and L3-37 or Qi-Ra and Maul could both work as projects and I wouldn't mind seeing Aiden return as Han either somewhere.
    That's great news and agreed (on all counts).

This is hilarious .

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    Does Boba know it was Han who hit his jet pack? He seemed pretty focused on Luke.
    He did in Legends only because of built-in armor sensors he (much) later reviewed the recordings after escaping from the Sarlacc. He was understandably rather upset due to (almost) going out like a punk.

Would be really interesting if Boba survives and he and Luke met up again. In fact I am kind of surprised that Boba has never bothered to go after Han, considering he was the one that essentially 'killed' him. Though I suppose now he has his armor back he might be next on his list after his debt to Din.
    In the Legends continuity Han and Boba do have a bit of an ongoing rivalry (That inspired some pretty cool Dave Dorman covers during the Dark Horse years) although it kind of cools by the time of the prequels/NJO era of the EU. Basically like "You were just a job, my only real problem was the Jedi" or something like that.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

This made me laugh so much. Probably because it's so true. LOL! I can hear Doc Brown in my mind talking about Biff somehow stealing the almanac and creating this timeline.

Extraordinary Member

I loved TFA... but the closest Star Wars equivalent of “Biff Tanen is rich and married to your mother” probably would be “Palpatine corrupted the lamest Skywalker ever and the series becomes a Neo-Nazi-School-Shooter Romance,” so that checks out.

Hey, it could have been the better timeline if TLJ didn’t set it in stone Kylo was the only new Skywalker and proceeded to warp everything it could around the turd. Legends wasn’t great, but it *IS* superior to the ST - Dark Empire Palp is somehow more subtle (a phrase I didn’t think I’d say in a thousand years before TL), and having Jaina, Allana, Ben, Cade, Ania, and a new Jedi Order as the legacy of the OT characters is a hell of a lot more interesting and fun than them all dying as failures. And Darth Caedus would hand Kylo his ass, and Ben Solo is a disgrace if compared to Jacen Solo.

On a more serious note tying into the show... my money would be that the safest bet would be to have some other Jedi than Luke end up eventually training Grogu, or a Holocron that Grogu can activate with a fun interface. *If* they brought in Luke... I’d be hoping to see them doing so with a general game plan for using Luke in the future that seeks to find a neutral ground where he can be cool, but where we don’t have to foreshadow TLJ and the disappointment therein.

The Holocron idea seems very likely to me - it would allow them to incorporate a Jedi character to train and provide lore to Grogu and Din, but still maintain Din as the father figure... plus, Din and Grogu having to deal with virtual learning would be hilariously topical. If they had some PT Jedi for the holocron’s AI, that would be nice... but if they wanted to reach further back into recanonizing old lore, someone like Zayne Carrick would be a cool AI, consideirng eh could bring in some knowledge of Mandos as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    In the Legends continuity Han and Boba do have a bit of an ongoing rivalry (That inspired some pretty cool Dave Dorman covers during the Dark Horse years) although it kind of cools by the time of the prequels/NJO era of the EU. Basically like "You were just a job, my only real problem was the Jedi" or something like that.
    There!s actually Star Wars Tales comic set during the NJP where Boba was using Han as a training mission for new Mando’s - if they could survive hunting Han, they were worthy!
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Obviously the main branching point in the Star Wars timeline would be whether Han shot first or second in the Cantina. Han shooting second leads to Darth Vader turning out to be a mop-haired boy who has temper tantrums about sand getting in his boots.

Ultimate Member

Ditto, I'm more of a Star Trek fan than Star Wars fan, but the good Star Wars stuff of the last decade (Solo, Rogue One, the Mandalorian) has been better than anything Star Trek has put out for ages. Trek's too stuck in nostalgia, IMO.

(Which, since the Mandalorian is like, a love letter to nostalgia, and I am here for it, is probably ironic. I wish Star Trek had a Jon Favreau!)