Page 5 of 107 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast

Thread: The Mandalorian

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Oh, man, what a breath of fresh air this show is.

Not sure why critics have a problem with the Mandalorian not taking his helmet off. I saw one review that said audiences needed to see the actor emoting, but that's silly. That's why we've gotten all the ridiculously timed unmaskings in superhero films that don't really fit the characters' motivations. If there's a reason why a character wears a mask, they need to keep it on until there's a credible reason why they'd remove it. I'd have no problem if the Mandalorian never removed his mask (though I suspect he eventually will given the references to his origins as a foundling.)

Episode 2 is out! spoilers:
    Stupid Jawas! Maybe that is baby yoda. :/
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by PoorStudent; 11-15-2019 at 09:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PoorStudent View Post
    Whats the time frame for the show? I thought it took place after rotj but before fa?
    I also thought the baby was just a member of that species.
    It is set 5 years after ROTJ.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

Incredible Member Robotech Master's Avatar

Mandalorians do recreationally take off their helmets; we've seen plenty of them do so, including main characters like Sabine.

The main character not taking off his helmet so far is likely accomplishing more than just a sense of mystery for what his face looks like. I'm actually betting on him not being a Mandalorian by blood. The flashes of memory in episode 1 may have been him remembering being taken as a child, and episode 2 his unfamiliarity with what the baby of Yoda's species did may also be telling, since even in the age where tons of planets forgot about the Jedi and the Force, Mandolorians were notoriously familiar with it given that the knowledge was passed down in their own traditions from when some of their clans fought Jedi. Some Mandalorians had even repurposed lightsabers, one of which was an important symbol of clan leadership as recently as 4 years before the battle of Yavin.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotech Master View Post
    Mandalorians do recreationally take off their helmets; we've seen plenty of them do so, including main characters like Sabine.

The main character not taking off his helmet so far is likely accomplishing more than just a sense of mystery for what his face looks like. I'm actually betting on him not being a Mandalorian by blood. The flashes of memory in episode 1 may have been him remembering being taken as a child, and episode 2 his unfamiliarity with what the baby of Yoda's species did may also be telling, since even in the age where tons of planets forgot about the Jedi and the Force, Mandolorians were notoriously familiar with it given that the knowledge was passed down in their own traditions from when some of their clans fought Jedi. Some Mandalorians had even repurposed lightsabers, one of which was an important symbol of clan leadership as recently as 4 years before the battle of Yavin.
    Is that current cannon? I'm asking because I've bowed out of the Star Wars canonical scene since the sale.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

I got the impression that he was an orphan, When he was getting his shoulder plat forged it was mentioned that the left over would help what was the orphans (forgot the actuality term) and he said that he was one too, I think that he is a Mandolorian.

Great second ep! Shorter than the first, but that was okay. I'm glad they can just let these things be as long or short as they need to be. And for this story, the Mandalorian not taking off his helmet makes perfect sense. You're not supposed to be able to read his face or his emotions.(heck, we don't even know his name yet) It's so much more effective that we don't know what going on behind the mask every time he looks at the baby. We can infer, and maybe we're right, maybe we're wrong. The helmet is actually a great storytelling device here.

For a second I thought we were going to have a "silent" episode with no (non Jawa) dialogue.

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    Oh, man, what a breath of fresh air this show is.

Not sure why critics have a problem with the Mandalorian not taking his helmet off. I saw one review that said audiences needed to see the actor emoting, but that's silly. That's why we've gotten all the ridiculously timed unmaskings in superhero films that don't really fit the characters' motivations. If there's a reason why a character wears a mask, they need to keep it on until there's a credible reason why they'd remove it. I'd have no problem if the Mandalorian never removed his mask (though I suspect he eventually will given the references to his origins as a foundling.)
    I hope he never takes it off on screen.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Incredible Member Robotech Master's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Is that current cannon? I'm asking because I've bowed out of the Star Wars canonical scene since the sale.
    Yes. Current canon (short version) is that Mandalorians were once known as a pretty bloodthirsty warrior race, but softened over time until they adopted a more pacifistic lifestyle during the Republic before the Clone Wars. During this time there was a revolutionary movement by the terrorist group Death Watch to restore Mandalore to its warrior culture. Darth Maul helped Death Watch succeed in overthrowing the government but then he pretty much took over in order to make the new Mandalore his army to fight Sidious. Sidious beat Maul before that could even happen, leaving Mandalore kinda broken and segmented into a bunch of warrior clans all kind of doing their own thing. This culminated in split alliances during the Galactic Civil War where some Mandalorians clans swore allegiance to the Empire while others did not. The (then new) Rebel Alliance earned the help of the clans who did not like the Empire by returning to them a modified Lightsaber called the Darksaber, a symbol of power among the Mandos which Death Watch's leader had previously wielded during the Clone Wars.

Question Yodas race are they suppose to be unusually strong with the force as a whole? Or is this just a another Rey who can do crazy stuff off rip.

This episode seemed a little more silly then the last. Not in a bad way just the action was more over the top and it made sense given the situation.
    Last edited by Midvillian1322; 11-15-2019 at 02:19 PM.

3-5. I think this ending around the time TFA would be best. Fav has asked for some big cameos like Chewie and Luke, too, for future seasons.
    Now that would be a blast!!!!

Please bring back Luke and give him an episode of story and not just a appearance with no lines.
    Reliving my second childhood.... Making my TPB's take a back seat.....I'm now a new DC Omnibus and Hard Bound Book Collector: Batman: The Golden Age Omni V1 / Legends of the Dark Knight: Jim Aparo Vol. 2 / Gotham Central Omni / Justice League of America Silver Age Omni's V1 & V2 / Superman: The Golden Age Omni V1/ Green Lantern Omni V1
    with many more purchases soon to come.....

Yes. Current canon (short version) is that Mandalorians were once known as a pretty bloodthirsty warrior race, but softened over time until they adopted a more pacifistic lifestyle during the Republic before the Clone Wars. During this time there was a revolutionary movement by the terrorist group Death Watch to restore Mandalore to its warrior culture. Darth Maul helped Death Watch succeed in overthrowing the government but then he pretty much took over in order to make the new Mandalore his army to fight Sidious. Sidious beat Maul before that could even happen, leaving Mandalore kinda broken and segmented into a bunch of warrior clans all kind of doing their own thing. This culminated in split alliances during the Galactic Civil War where some Mandalorians clans swore allegiance to the Empire while others did not. The (then new) Rebel Alliance earned the help of the clans who did not like the Empire by returning to them a modified Lightsaber called the Darksaber, a symbol of power among the Mandos which Death Watch's leader had previously wielded during the Clone Wars.
    Where did all this take place? The new cartoons? Because I've read all the (now) Legends books of that era (I think) and don't remember that.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Where did all this take place? The new cartoons? Because I've read all the (now) Legends books of that era (I think) and don't remember that.
    I think it happened in the Clone Wars cartoon and the Rebels cartoon, and they are both canon.

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Ronin View Post
    I think it happened in the Clone Wars cartoon and the Rebels cartoon, and they are both canon.
    Sweet! I can watch those now.

Through two episodes the Mandalorian just might be my favorite Star Wars related thing. It is fantastic!!! They should put John Favreau in charge of the Star Wars Universe.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!