Page 51 of 107 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561101 ... LastLast

Thread: The Mandalorian

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Anyone else think the decision to encorporate more shows into the Mando narrative is a mistake? Ashoka and the New Republic one?

I kinda like Mando show just being a Mando show. I don't need an "everything is connected!" star wars. The galaxy is huge.
    I think it’s great - Dave and Jon have essentially done what Fantasy Flight Games did with their role playing series and recognised that the original Star Wars had three core characters and perspectives - the outsider and fringer with Han, the rebel with Leia and the force user with Luke, hence why they created Edge of the Empire, Age of Rebellion and Force and Destiny to hit those storylines types. And these three shows to me echo those same templates, albeit in a different era.

Rangers will probably need to ensure it differs itself enough from Andor, since both are likely to be hitting the same Rebel vs Empire concept. Though of course each show has the different sides at different strength and role, so that could help them feel distinctive, alongside a team in Rangers vs a single more morally skewed operative in Andor.

Extraordinary Member

Anyone else think the decision to encorporate more shows into the Mando narrative is a mistake? Ashoka and the New Republic one?

I kinda like Mando show just being a Mando show. I don't need an "everything is connected!" star wars. The galaxy is huge.
    It comes down to execution.

If the spin-off are all quality entertainment, and have the same quality, ease of access, and fun of Bo-Katan, Ahsoka, and Boba’s returns... go for it.

...I’ll be blunt and say that any mild discomfort some viewers may have on having recurring characters pop up frequently will end up, as usual, overshadowed by the value of continuity’s strength, story momentum, and the ability to redeploy and exploit older story assets. I mean, unless it’s going to run you or others off because familiar aspects are showing up, it’s still the most profitable idea both creatively and financially for the show.

It all comes down to whether or not quality remain/rises or dips as familiar elements are introduced. Filoni, in general, has actually shown an increase in the quality of his work the more things get connected.

It’s also not like locking them out is going to ensure an actual feeling the Galaxy is huge; TLJ was all about trying to denounce the familiar and fan-service, but is probably the smallest feeling Star Star Wars movie of the 21st Century.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

I have to assume all these shows are basically building up to live-action Thrawn.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I have to assume all these shows are basically building up to live-action Thrawn.
    Something like that seems very likely. The timing and pacing of the three shows will have to be coordinated pretty carefully. I won’t make any predictions about how things play out, except that the big twist this coming week will likely be Jedi Grogu summoned. I am guessing Ezra because the Thrawn/Ahsoka/Mandalor connection simply seems too neat to pass up.

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    It comes down to execution.
    True I suppose.

The New Republic show doesn't interest me at all but I guess if I hear it is awesome, then i'll watch it. I did enjoy Rogue one.

But I don't want a situation like say... slogging through Iron Fist just so I can watch Defenders and know what is going on lol.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I wonder how much they will require Rebels to be watches to fully understand him?

I haven't even watched all of rebels (I didn't really like it THAT much) and I am definitely more "hardcore" than the average viewer.

His name drop was the only time the continuity started the nag at me a bit. I didn't like that the whole episode came to THAT moment and it was some blue dude from rebels I don't know much about lol

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

iMan 42s

You have to reintroduce Thrawn to your audiences like the Inquisitors. Because anybody looking to Rebels for context is only going to get a handful of episodes and a few bullet points as to why he's a threat and what his deal is. You might need it for Ezra but Thrawn is honestly somebody you can skim Wookiepedia for. He's a deep as a puddle, he doesn't need homework.

EDIT: I mean the depth comment as far as Rebels, I'm aware of the books and enjoy the newer ones.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

I wonder how much they will require Rebels to be watches to fully understand him?

I haven't even watched all of rebels (I didn't really like it THAT much) and I am definitely more "hardcore" than the average viewer.

His name drop was the only time the continuity started the nag at me a bit. I didn't like that the whole episode came to THAT moment and it was some blue dude from rebels I don't know much about lol
    I imagine when he shows up they'll handle it like they did Ahsoka and Bo-Katan where they basically give the audience the characters' gist without necessarily going into their entire backstory, but there will be stuff hardcore fans will totally get.

Mighty Member

Valin Hess is ( oops I meant was) a terrifying Imperial officer.

True I suppose.

The New Republic show doesn't interest me at all but I guess if I hear it is awesome, then i'll watch it. I did enjoy Rogue one.

But I don't want a situation like say... slogging through Iron Fist just so I can watch Defenders and know what is going on lol.
    KK said Fav and Dave are writing/producing/managing/etc. their little kingdom of stories. Rangers/Mando/Ahsoka are in the same timeline and being run by them. I have a hunch they won't be heavy like the Netflix MCU on interconnectedness but more like the MCU and Star Wars cartoons (you get bonus nuggets if you watch them all but not necessary).
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

I just saw that Friday is the season finale already.

I thought we had more to go ...

Better to want more then less I guess. :\
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    I just saw that Friday is the season finale already.

I thought we had more to go ...

Better to want more then less I guess. :\
    I just don't want a cliffhanger

I hate cliffhanger TV show endings.

I don't want to feel like this whole journey was a "waste of time" so to speak.

But unless this episode is really long, it seems like it either ends with "Grogu still with Gideon, Mando vows to find him" or "Mango gets Grogu, needs to find Jedi part XIII"

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Mando is the only positive thing Star Wars got going right now. Capitalizing on it is in Lucasfilm best interest for other Star Wars projects.

If it is not a cliffhanger, my bet is that Grogu gets killed. Like Din's efforts make it seem like he won, but we see a little green body at the end ... And Din takes off the helmet.

If it is a cliffhanger, I can see the mission going well and they're reunited ... Only to have Boba shoot Din in the back and take Grogu. Then the Jedi shows up to find an injured Din ...

That is my spitball theories.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    If it is not a cliffhanger, my bet is that Grogu gets killed.
    Really? You actually believe that's even a possibility? And kill their merch machine? I find that HIGHLY unlikely. And even from a narrative standpoint, the entire show is built on the relationship between Din and Grogu. it makes very little sense to nuke that dynamic this early on. Test it, challenge it, sure. But not throw it out. At worst, you're looking at a fake out, where Din believes the kid to be dead. There shall be no permadeath here.

My guess is that you're all looking in the wrong direction. Din will get Grogu back, and have his big confrontation with Gideon (which I expect Gideon will survive) that will end with Gideon separated from the Darksaber. Particularly if they bring Bo-Katan back, which everything they've set up this season suggests they at least should, that would set up the contest for the weapon, and the rule of Mandalore. I think that's where the show is going next, with Din and Grogu caught up in the battle for who will rule.

So I expect Din to wind up with the Darksaber by the end of the episode. He doesn't really want it, but would he entrust it to Bo-katan? She doesn't follow the Creed the same way he does, so maybe not. And Fett? he's a wildcard, but he would make a dangerous frienemy if he also had an inkling of ruling Mandalore.